• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I think TSR was right to publish so much material

Henry

Autoexreginated
Here's a question from me: why would you buy an unsupported, fire-and-forget setting in the first place? If a setting is going to be put out there and then for all intents and purposes abandoned, why invest my time and money in it versus something that's in print, supported, and by that support I'm more likely to find players who know about it and are seriously interested in playing within that setting?

From my perspective:

1) Because what I write for the setting won't be contradicted by later material causing any setting purists who know about the discrepancy to scoff. There's less fuss if there isn't any setting info to contradict, say, if Lord Winter turns out to be a 1000-year-old shapeshifter in human form.

2) Eventually, most campaigns die, due to either changing schedules, a burned-out DM, or simply interest in a new game system or campaign setting. A select few have multi-year campaigns running, but for most average gamers, why buy reams and reams and reams of material if, a year from now, you probably won't be playing it, and likely won't return for another two or three years?

3) Players need to usually be hooked into a setting in just a few paragraphs. If you want a new player to be invested in a setting, handing them a whole gazetteer is a strong way to turn them off from a setting. In most cases I've ever seen, the only people in D&D who want to read tons of setting material are the DMs, and usually DMs who spend more time reading the material than actually prepping or gaming with the material.

Now, that said, there definitely IS a place for huge involved settings - When prepping for my Eberron 4E games, I still like reading older books for ideas, even if I don't strictly need it to make a fun game session. However, from a business standpoint, it's VERY hard to get a larger number of players interested in supporting a game setting line for more than a half dozen products in it. Paizo has a subscription base, which helps them out. However, they're also not supporting anything but Golarion. They're sticking with one setting, its rule support, and little else. personally I'd be kind of bored with playing one setting for years on end, which leads into my point #2, above. After about six to eight months of playing one campaign, I'm ready to wrap it up and move on, using just a mini-arc from 1 to 10, or 5 to 13, etc.

Stormonu

Legend
Here's a question from me: why would you buy an unsupported, fire-and-forget setting in the first place? If a setting is going to be put out there and then for all intents and purposes abandoned, why invest my time and money in it versus something that's in print, supported, and by that support I'm more likely to find players who know about it and are seriously interested in playing within that setting?

Yeah, I got to go with the others. Having bought a load of books for FR, Planescape and other campaign worlds back in 2E that are just collecting dust, I'd rather just get a book (maybe two) and be done with the setting.

Ariosto

First Post
There is probably more profit to be made from one "dungeon module" that sells 100,000 copies than from 10 modules that sell 10,000 copies each.

If the difference in profit per unit were, say, 2:1, then it could be a wash if your 10-module line doubled sales to 20,000 each. However, that seems unlikely if -- even before accounting for economies of scale in printing, etc. -- you're putting in 10 times as much in development costs.

Unless development has become so much more efficient, cutting costs generally means cutting quality.

If each of 100,000 DMs buys 10 modules, and there are only 10 modules for sale, then each module sells 100,000 copies. If each DM still buys only 10 modules, but there are 20 equally popular modules for sale, then each sells only 50,000 copies.

If you have a sufficiently growing market of new DMs and players, then you can keep selling 10 old modules. However, to get old DMs to buy an 11th module (if they will at all) you probably need a new module (rather than expecting them to buy the same thing again).

Likewise, if you are going to sell to new customers who don't like some of your 10 old modules, then you need some new ones to get them even up to 10 apiece.

Somewhere in all this is as close as you're going to get to maximizing profits. I suspect that TSR could have done well even with a very suboptimal solution in this aspect, if not for serious problems elsewhere.

My impression is that WotC's directors are more interested in maximizing corporate profits. I don't think Hasbro does a lot of "micro-management", but such big and globally mobile financial capital tends not to have much reason not to go wherever there is the most money to be made.

Orius

Legend
I couldn't use skills and powers with Dark Sun. And I couldn't use the character sheets for either, without making modifications (and that kind of defeats the purpose of premade character sheets, doesn't it?). Each product was mutually exclusive.

And oh god, it got worse. We all loved the Dark Sun setting - it was (and is) my favourite setting of all time. However, at the time, we didn't have the psionics handbook (the one I bought got stolen - I've had my 2e psionics book stolen TWICE now). We didn't have the monster book, and Dark Sun has a shortage of monsters if you lack that book. I couldn't get my hands on either book, either, due to my own funds shortage.

I think there was a Dragon article around that time that did Skills and Powers for Dark Sun, though naturally if you didn't have access to the magazine, it wouldn't do you any good. At the very least, you'd probably need to use that issue and Skills and Powers to hammer out some house rules on it, and maybe use stuff from Spells and Magic too, since it had an optional magic system based on defiling.

I'm torn on the moster supplements. On the one hand, monster books tend to sell well. On the other hand, they were putting out tons of monster supplements at this point and by then, they'd really soured people on the quality of the monstrous supplements and they were feeling very forced and slapdash.

I have two of the 95 monster suppliments, the second Annual and the second Planescape book. I think they're both good, lots of interesting variety in them, and the PS has monsters that can be used even in a regular campaign (some eventually ended up in the 3e MM). Didn't buy the Dark Sun one, but I think some of those monsters were put in the next year's annual.

I liked the Annuals for the most part, they had a good collection of monsters from a variety of sources, as well as updated stuff that had been OOP for a while. YMMV vary on this though, since the 2e Annual was the one that reprinted the flumph for 2e. ;) IMO the worst annual was the third, there wasn't really any theme to it (unlike the last one which included a nice chunk of aqautic monsters), and a lot of setting specific stuff was just copied and pasted without any attempt to make it useful for a generic campaign.

I think I would have taken the Night Below project and expanded on it.

a) Release a crunch centered revised 'Dungeoneer's Survival Guide'.
b) Release a fluff centered 'Night Below' generic campaign setting. The thing about the Underdark is that most campaigns have one. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 'Boxed Set' format. You are paying for an expensive box and you can't look at the content to see if you'd really want to buy it. I'd prefer either a thick soft cover or a some sort of cheaper packaging for a bundle of books. I notice that the format didn't last much past TSR folding.
c) Release the Night Below campaign as a 4 part module series possibly also with an option to buy all four in a single bundle.
d) Release a monstrous supplement that was Underdark centric as the annual monstrous supplement.

You know, I bught Night Below thinking that this is what it was. Being relatively new to D&D, I was hoping for a nice big set of material on the Underdark. All I got was a big boxed adventure. Not a bad adventure, but not as helpful as I was hoping.

Celebrim - The Encyclopedia Magica books were the magic item books not the spells. I actually bought all four of these and loved the everyloving crap out of them.

But, I can totally see people not wanting these. :)

I managed to collect all the Compendia. The first EM was released just as I was starting to get into D&D, and I saw a copy at B. Dalton and flipped through it. I thought all those magic items were amazing. There's all kinds of cool stuff in that volume, and it just goes to D. There's 3 more filled with all kinds of stuff like that. Naturally, they were one of the first products I tried snapping up. For a novice player like me, it was a great source of stuff, though I hadn't mastered placement of magic items, so there was a lot of stuff I thought was cool finding its way into the dungeons I was fleshing out.

The spell compendia were similar, in fact the first indication I had of TSR's troubles was when I was waiting for the second spell compendium to come out in 1997, I was ordering stuff from a local comic shop by then, and the owner kept telling me the distributor didn't have it.

GregK - how did you manage to use both Complete Priest and Faiths and Avatars in the same game? Complete Priest cut clerics down to three or four spheres (if you had anything approaching a standard cleric's combat abilities) whereas the Faiths and Avatars were a powergamers dream. These two books were pretty much the polar opposite to each other mechanically.

I can't speak for him, but I used them together with the Player's Option books to custom create specialty priests. So say I was creating a war god. I'd look at the powers and spheres given to priests of Tempus and the like in F&A and the war priest setup in the CPH, and write them all down. Then, I'd go into Skills and Powers and Spells and Magic, and use the point based system to assign powers to the custom class from the list I'd created.

Encyclopedia Magica was the one with the faux leather cover and the nifty silk style bookmark.

In terms of production value, it was incredible (one of the few 2e books that has never fallen apart on me compared to say Faiths & Avatars that fell apart after 1 year) and in terms of content, it blew the Magica Encyclopedia out of the water (now THERE was a useless product -- all it did was reference where you could find items and didn't even have all items).

EM had full descriptions of EVERY item ever created in TSR products at that time including Dungeon and Dragon!!

The EM on the other hand even though it used full colour recycled art actually went to the trouble to MATCH pictures with the category and the black and white art was seviceable in depicting specific items when appropriately described in the text.

Great product and I consider EM as one of the "essential" items for any 1e/2e DM playing group (and I've seen similar praise for it on dragonsfoot and r.g.f.d).

That said, it was a money loser in that I distinctly remember TSR officials mentioning that they lose money on each book sold since the quality of the book itself was way above average.

Conversely, the Spell Compendium actually made money but it's production value could not even come CLOSE to EM. Hell, even the paper quality of EM was at least a grade higher than the type found in typical TSR products of the time.

I can't completely agree, the binding on at least the first EM have cracked open on me, along with the pages in F&A falling out. The bookmarks were a nice touch, and I have some of them marking important pages, for example, the last volume has the ribbon at the start of the tables, because it's just too convenient not too put it anywhere else. And I'd say it's an excellent resource for any retro D&D game, all the stuff is compiled for convenience which is good for some settings if you don't have some of the suppliments (including material from a Spelljammer product that never went to print), there's a huge pile of stuff to pick from, there's the artifact power tables from the Book of Artifacts, and there's several random tables that let you make lots of custom stuff.

It's a shame that it was sold at a loss, but later WotC reprints were similar to the Spell Compendiums, IIRC. So while it didn't have those nice covers and book marks, it was still being printed.

I also liked that the Wizard's and Priest's Spell Compendiums kept the world references for spells, and noted the rarity of spells - that was great for helping to decide how often the PCs should come across the new spells in those books.

The spell rarity rules quickly became one of my standard house rules, and I continued to apply a simplified version of them them into 3e. Here's how I do it:

Common spells: Any spell from any edition of the PHB, except those superceded by new rules (eg: friends from the 2e PHB is replaced by eagle's splendor, find familiar from the 2e PHB is dropped because it's a class skills for sorcs/wizards, the extension spells are replaced by metamagic feats, etc).

Uncommon spells: spells from sources like 1e UA, 2e Tome of Magic/Wizards Handbook/Spells and Magic, 3e Defenders of the Faith/Tome and Blood/Complete Divine/Complete Arcane/etc. Also the spells from WotC web articles like the Spellbook.

Rare spells: stuff from other splats or campaign specific material, generic spells that appear in products other than caster-based splats or major optional rules. Spells from WotC's Far Corners of the World articles also fall here, and probably I'd include anything in Frostburn, Stormwrack, and Sandstorm.

Very Rare: anything else. Mostly stuff from Dragon and Dungeon, spells that are unique to a single spellbook, anything else I find on the web that looks good, etc.

LurkMonkey

First Post
Heh, there were a few. I also have every Planescape book and box set (multiple copies of some things like the Planewalker's Handbook). I also have just about every Al-Qadim, Ravenloft and Darksun 2E product. I regret not picking up any Birthright but a fellow member of our gaming group was collecting those for a game he never ran. I also have most of the 2E Forgotten Realms stuff although I didn't buy much of that - I inherited it from a fellow gamer who bought everything Forgotten Realms. Sadly I also have most of the complete series which for the most part I didn't really care for because of the game breaking effects some of the "kits" introduced.

So while I could have done with less Forgotten Realms (especially the Seven Sisters and related stuff) and the Complete Series books from 2E, I am grateful for the flood of more imaginative settings material that came out in that era.

Oh don't get me wrong. I am thrilled they did put out so much stuff. I am a fanboi after all. I should have also mentioned in my original post that I waited until the 3e era to pick up about 50% of the pieces of my collection, so in effect, TSR didn't get any cash for them. I did the same with Spelljammer and Ravenloft over the last decade through bargain hunting.

Were there completionists? Sure! There was you and me, and I'm sure hundreds (maybe thousands) of others. But even then, I couldn't keep pace, so I only bought what I needed (I thought) at the time to run my game. My assertion was that even the hard core had a hard time buying all the products they were sending out.

I did buy all the Planescape box sets , but there were other settings they were pumping out mass suppliments and box sets for that I either had little interest in besides the 'core' setting (Dark Sun/Ravenloft/Greyhawk) or never even got one piece for ( FR/Hollow Earth/Birthright/Dragonlance). Heck, I just found out about an interesting 2e setting I'd never even heard of not a week ago when I started a thread about favorite settings! (Jakandor).

I am glad all that info is out there, but at the time, barring winning the lottery, I wouldn't have gotten everything for even my most favorite setting. And I think that TSR's business suffered by developing/producing/publishng all that stuff, even though I think a lot of it was very good quality. I mean, remember the green series of historical campaign settings? I LOVE those books! They are a gold mine of info on converting a setting to a historical theme. But there were SIX of them, all @$15. I got mine off eBay in 2000.

Contrast this to 3e. A hardcover every month, roundabouts. I could do that. I even got the Forgotten Realm HC that time around =). It was a lot easier to keep abreast of things.

It costs money to produce gaming material. And it demands a profit on the investment. As a fan, I love that they did produce it, but I will still shake my head sadly at the descisions businesswise to do it. There was just too much in too short a window (IMO).

Hussar

Legend
I'd be curious to see what difference there is between the amount invested in a given title by TSR in, say, 1993 and WOTC today, even accounting for inflation.

I know what my gut says and that's WOTC invests a heck of a lot more in a given title than TSR did, but, that's just my gut talking. And I at poutine tonight in a restaurant in Japan. So, my gut is also going to be talking out my petoot pretty soon. :D

In another thread around here, people are saying 12-18 month lead times for WOTC titles. Anyone have any idea what hte lead time was for TSR?

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
I mean, remember the green series of historical campaign settings? I LOVE those books! They are a gold mine of info on converting a setting to a historical theme. But there were SIX of them, all @$15. I got mine off eBay in 2000.
Seven of them!

HR1: Vikings Campaign Sourcebook
HR2: Charlemagne's Paladins Campaign Sourcebook
HR3: Celts Campaign Sourcebook
HR4: A Mighty Fortress Campaign Sourcebook
HR5: The Glory of Rome Campaign Sourcebook
HR6: Age of Heroes Campaign Sourcebook
HR7: The Crusades Campaign Sourcebook

If you only have six, then you're missing one :angel:

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
In regards to the premise that the late 80s/early 90s was the "Golden Age" of D&D...there was a lot of really good stuff. But to call it the "Golden Age" of D&D? No way. I'd say Ars Magica's system for portraying the life cycle of a covenant of wizards is more suitable.

Spring was OD&D - The beginning, with lots of fertile new ideas and concepts bursting forth from the soil of wargaming.

Summer was AD&D1e until Gygax's ouster from TSR - ideas and concepts had matured, activity and creativity was at its height both at TSR and, most importantly, among gamers.

Autumn was from Gygax's departure from TSR until the company began to collapse (1996-97?) - The game had matured, there was a lot of activity, it looked like D&D was more popular than ever, and TSR's financial success seemed to be at its height...but there were signs that the end had already begun. The sheer excitement that accompanied the game at its beginning was now gone. People still loved the game, but many left gaming or turned to other games. TSR produced a massive amount of material to draw in new and lapsed gamers, and even non-gamers with the fiction lines (which, as we may remember, was one of the big causes of TSR's collapse). They couldn't keep up that kind of output, and the foundations of the company were being eroded out from under it.

Winter came suddenly. Products stopped shipping, most notably Dragon magazine. TSR was effectively dead now, frozen in place.

The cycle seems to have repeated again, maybe a couple of times. Spring came again just as quickly, with WotC buying TSR and the "Countdown to 3e" articles in a revivified Dragon. Summer came with the release of the 3e PHB. A new Autumn started with 3.5. In my own opinion, I'd say WotC managed to skip Winter and start a new Spring with 4e, though it's been a pretty stormy Spring, and Summer has shown no signs of coming anytime soon.

Eh, but what do I know?

AllisterH

First Post
Seven of them!

HR1: Vikings Campaign Sourcebook
HR2: Charlemagne's Paladins Campaign Sourcebook
HR3: Celts Campaign Sourcebook
HR4: A Mighty Fortress Campaign Sourcebook
HR5: The Glory of Rome Campaign Sourcebook
HR6: Age of Heroes Campaign Sourcebook
HR7: The Crusades Campaign Sourcebook

If you only have six, then you're missing one :angel:

You know...I totally ignored these but I've heard great things about them from the people who actually bought them....

That said, one of my friends who did buy one said that the comparable GURPS sourcebook would be a better choice if you were given a choice...not that the green books were bad or anything..just tha the GURPS books were better...

BTW, what era is Age of Heroes supposed to represent and does't A might Fortress overlap with Age of Charlemage and The Crusades?

Remove ads