• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I want my weapons

Navar

Explorer
I am starting a campaign and it is going to be high level. I am worred however that, as a monk I am going to be investing a lot of my starting gold in my quarterstaff (likley 25%.) My fear is that my evil DM is going to sunder, disenchant, or otherwise deprive me of my beloved staff. So I was looking for an idea to keep my weapon, but allow my DM to still have the ability to sunder the weapon. I was thinking of an ability that worked something like this "If this weapon is not intact and enchanted at dawn on the day (as well as in the possetion of the rightfull owner) then it returns fully formed and enchanted to the wielder."
How much do you think this would cost. I think that this ability should be a priced ability because as a +X ability even at +1 it doesn't effect combat. On another note I was thinking of maybe a level 6-8 cleric spell that worked on any piece of the weapon to reform it (Including disintagration dust.) Something on the level of a powered up Make Whole would be good. Thanks in advance.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Cautious thinking; the monk in my game had his staff of disruption eaten by an ooze.

This belongs in House Rules, though. I'll slide it over.

Ferrix

Explorer
to start, get it crafted out of adamantine if you can... that makes it pretty tough to sunder in the first place... otherwise, enchant it which ups hardness/hp, and you seem on the right track with a weapon that reforms itself and returns to it's wielder.

Navar

Explorer
Well that is the differance. I want him to be able to sunder it. I don't think that an adamantine quarterstaff makes very much sense anyway. I know that in the Vigil Watch book (the snakeman that I can't spell.) has a feat for a weapon familier that is exactly what I want, but we arn't playing with SSS rules and I don't qualify for weapon familier feats anyway (as a monk.) Anyway please keep the ideas coming. You guys rock.

Ferrix

Explorer
why doesn't an adamantine staff make sense? it is still sunderable, it's just relatively hard to do so...

a metal that might make more sense (cause it's lighter) is mithril or get someone to ironwood your staff...

just because it has more hardness and hps doesn't mean it isn't going to get sunder, just it isn't going to get sundered all the time.

also there is an item familiar feat in Unearthed Arcana which only requires a person to be a 3rd level character, not a spellcaster.

Navar

Explorer
That is all well and good, but a metal quarterstaff is what I am saying doesn't make sense. Mithril and adamantine are metal. Ironwood is a good idea, but I don't think we will have a druid in the party so that only lasts days. I was really trying for the whole If this weapon is not intact and enchanted at dawn on the day (as well as in the possetion of the rightfull owner) then it returns fully formed and enchanted to the wielder." thing. Any thoughts on costing for that, or a high level cleric spell that may do that. I am familier with UA, but we arn't using those rules either.

Navar

Explorer
Well I really want to go Monk. Actually I am going Paladin/Monk/Brother of Steel (but this is heavelly modified.) And I really like the character. I just don't want to loose the Quarterstaff in a couple of encounters, and I don't want to take away the DM's tool of taking away our weapons if need be. I was thinking a cleric spell and Contengancy on the weapon. Something like "At dawn if this weapon is not intact and in my possition it returns there." But I am not sure what cleric spell that would be. (It would be in the Mending Make whole line likley level 6-8 like ressurection.) But it might be arcane. (the repair damage spells are arcane.) so I am not sure. Anyway any ideas are helpfull. Thanks

RuminDange

First Post
Navar said:
I was thinking a cleric spell and Contengancy on the weapon. Something like "At dawn if this weapon is not intact and in my possition it returns there."
Even with an enchantment that would do this for you or a contengancy somehow placed on the staff, one Disjuction spell good ruin your day and null and void everything about the staff.
Also having the staff be able to reform and re-enchant itself after being destroyed or something equally bad, sounds like a staff that will be in the minor artifact range of abilities.

A few suggestions to think of however:
1: Get a ring of Counterspells - keep it loaded with Mord's Disjunction
2: Make the staff have the similar ability of the Ring blade from Arms and Equipment. Put the ring on the staff that way or two rings.
3: Make the staff intelligent, therefore higher saves for the staff to avoid disjunction. Give it powers to teleport itself and it will also be able to recognize who its proper owner is to teleport back to.
4: Increase the staff's hardness with the spell in MoF that adds to the hardness permenantly, at least it is harder to break, just no impossible. Of course you would have to pay a wizard to do this for you.

Just a few ideas. :D
RD

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
[admin hat on] Navar, your sig pic is too big (mostly too tall), and you tend to include it on every post. A good rule of thumb is that your sig should never take up more space than your post. If you would....

1. Please make the pic smaller.

2. Only include it once per thread page.

Thanks! Email me if this is somehow a problem.

As far as your question is concerned, a lot of systems have a "signature item" rule that basically returns a destroyed key item back to the person. I'm not sure how I'd model that in D&D, as it breaks a bunch of normal expectations. I'd probably make it a +2 weapon enchantment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads