• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I want to start an Amethyst campaign

Jessica

First Post
For those of you who don't know it's a post-apocalyptic setting where fantasy creatures have invaded the modern world and the humans stay holed up in fortress cities. The clash between magic and technology is a big part of the setting and it's something I'm really interested in. Although I still need to read the story/setting details more in depth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amethyst_RPG

I was thinking of running a game though where the PCs were all human members of a para-military group that worked with one of the bastion's militaries(not sure which bastion would be most fitting). I was planning on having the world outside be generally hostile(from what I understand some human settlements actually get along with the fantasy races) where any trip outside the walls was bound to get them blown up and to try and maintain a feeling of isolation, exhaustion, and paranoia concerning the world around them. I want to make sure battles are genuinely hard with tiny mistakes possibly leading to PC death, but not so hard as to lead to TPKs except for rare exceptions.

Does anyone have advice for running this kind of game? Should I allow a one PC exception to the human only rule to serve as kind of a translator for the party(although the fey races often cause technology to break down and malfunction due to their magic aura)? I was planning on having their be an actual official de jure party leader and rank system based partially on class(e.g. the person picking the Marshall class, which is the Amethyst equivalent of the Warlord/Commander would likely be the LT or maybe an NCO of some kind). I know nerds don't generally like being told what to do, but do people have positive play experiences in games with a party rank structure? It's been forever since I've GMed a game(mid 4e was the last time I DMed barring one small playtest period in 5e) so any help are suggests are appreciated. People with experience with the Amethyst campaign setting would especially be of a big help.

Remove ads