I watched the whole thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have to rewatch it again to give you a play by play, but this is absolutely something i never had any trouble getting from the film.
Probably because you read the book. Having only watched the movie, those things aren't developed well.
I am pretty sure they even stick in a "one year later" across the screen just for emphasis.
Possibly, but I think they just explained it with Pacino saying it had been a year.
Pretty sure in the book the time between Apollonia dying and him connecting again with kay is about two years.
I'm sure they did a fine job showing the passage of time in the book. In the movie? Not so much. In fact, even if they did throw a bunch of "One year later" titles across the screen, they still do a poor job of showing a passage of time. There isn't any discernible difference between the time that Pacino has left and when he comes back that indicates a significant amount of time has passed.
Again though, would have to rewatch as I have not seen the first movie in about five years.
If you do decide to torture yourself with rewatching the movie, try to watch it and don't consider your knowledge of the second and third movies or the book.

Probably because you read the book. Having only watched the movie, those things aren't developed well.Possibly, but I think they just explained it with Pacino saying it had been a year.I'm sure they did a fine job showing the passage of time in the book. In the movie? Not so much. In fact, even if they did throw a bunch of "One year later" titles across the screen, they still do a poor job of showing a passage of time. There isn't any discernible difference between the time that Pacino has left and when he comes back that indicates a significant amount of time has passed.If you do decide to torture yourself with rewatching the movie, try to watch it and don't consider your knowledge of the second and third movies or the book.

I disagree.

We can bring in any details we want. The subject of his descent into evil came up and I felt the second part of the series illuminates that, so i mentioned it.
No, you can't bing up any details you want. The subject of discussion is the first Godfather movie. If it's such a good movie, it should be able to stand on its own. What happens in the other movies or in the book does not matter. What matters is what happens in the first movie. Imagine this was 1972, the firs movie just got released. We both have just been tortured by being forced to watch it. Would you be bringing elements from the second movie to explain the crap job they did in the first, even though the second movie hasn't been made yet? No, you wouldn't because you couldn't. So again, try to keep the discussion focused on the first movie.

I dont know why this gives you so much difficulty. He is becoming the head of the family, and they. Bny into the idea that a real man has a family of his own. Having a wife and kids is expected of him. He chooses Kay because he is under the delusion that he is going to make the family legitimate, and to Michael Kay means assimilation into American society. Do not understand your problem with this at all.
Where is that part in the movie? The closest thing I can think of is when the Godfather, after having made fun of the singer for crying like a girl, tells him that real man spends time with his family. That's about it. There is nothing in the movie where they show that it is expected of Pacino that he have a wife and kids. Maybe it's supposed to happen during the year he is back? Maybe they should have actually developed the story.

Really? I thought it was Apollonia getting blown up that did that? Just poor writing and character development.

No, her death extinguished any good left inside him. Sonny's death meant it was either Fredo or Micgael as the next in line. So Michael basically had to take on the mantle at that point.

it isn't bad writing. You saying that again and again doesn't make it so

No, you can't bing up any details you want. The subject of discussion is the first Godfather movie. If it's such a good movie, it should be able to stand on its own. What happens in the other movies or in the book does not matter. What matters is what happens in the first movie. Imagine this was 1972, the firs movie just got released. We both have just been tortured by being forced to watch it. Would you be bringing elements from the second movie to explain the crap job they did in the first, even though the second movie hasn't been made yet? No, you wouldn't because you couldn't. So again, try to keep the discussion focused on the first movie.

Do do not tell me how to post. You are not a mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads