• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I will be buying this next:

Odovacar's Ghost

First Post
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/335079

Also, seems that Saint Petersburg will be getting an expansion.

OR 'HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE TREACHERY'

I've played BSG almost a dozen times and I love it. I would play it in the dark with a snark. I would play it in a park for a lark. I would play it...you get the picture. Why do I love thee BSG:The boardgame?

1. I love paranoia. Not knowing who is a Cylon, not knowing if there even is a cylon for the first half of the game grabs me. I love games with Trust issues. I love backstabbing and sneakery. I love not knowing who to trust. Because theres nothing like trusting someone and having them turn out to be the cylon. You feel violated. Actually nothing is worse than trusting yourself for the first half of the game and putting your all into getting the fleet to Kobol and then finding out *you* are the cylon. I was truly traumatised when this happened.

2. I love the show. This is one of the best uses of a license I've ever seen. Each character feels and plays like their character from the show. Starbuck kicks butt in a viper, Roslin is a political mastermind and Baltar is a sleezy suspicious guy. Just like the show! Frak, Helo's weakeness is that he isn't even in play during the first turn to represent him being stuck on Caprica!

3. I love simple mechanics. I have to say I love FFG games but one of their major failings is piling on complicated rule after complicated rule. The rules are quite simple here, the most complicated mechanic seems to how to interpret loyalty cards when wierd things happen. Once you've played this game once you'll barely need to look at the manual again.

4. The manual. FFGs other failing is their truly atrocious manuals for their games. The Arkham Horror manual is horrific (in theme with the game I guess). The manual for BSG is clear, concise and well written. Its pretty easy to find things, and rules are in a logical order.

5. FFG time actual equals real time! The play time on the box for FFG games is notoriously incorrect. I always refer to this as FFG time, which is usually half as long as real time. The number on the box is 2-3 hours, and what the frak they actually mean it! I have yet to play a game of this that lasted longer than three hours. One game was right on 3 hours and that was a six player game with three new players and an incredible amount of paranoia. Four of six players ended up in the brig (and incredibly one of the two remaining players was the cylon - I'm looking at you President Apollo!).

IS THERE SOMETHING YOU DON'T LOVE MIKE? ARE WE GOING TO HAVE TO WIPE THE BOARDGAME DOWN BEFORE WE PLAY?

1. No basestar figures. I'm up in the air on this one. At a $40.00 price point the game is dirt cheap by FFG standards. Including basestar figures instead of carboard representations would've likely raised this by $10-20.00.

2. FFG expansions. I personally don't think the game needs expansions (although the topic came up when we played it regularly). The goal of getting to Kobol obviously leaves it open to expand however with the quest for earth. I would be ok with a card only expansion adding new crisis cards and character cards (Admiral Caine, Doc Cottle etc) as well as new Cylon cards (I love Dean Stockwells Cylon and I gotta shout out to New Zealands own Cylon Lucy Lawless).

And frankly I don't have much more. I love this game. I fell in love with it the first time I played it and will play it every opportunity I get. I didn't realize that I was one of the 'lucky few' and that this game wasn't going to be released for a while. I certainly hope it gets into general circulation ASAP so everyone gets an opportunity.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/bsg/

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/172236

At this time, I can't say very much beyond what's on RGG's web-site. At some later point, I may put a preview up on BoardGameNews.

Briefly, this expansion contains two different expansions:

* The Banquet, a 12-card expansion by Karl-Heinz Schmiel, which previously appeared in Spielbox magazine.

* The New Society, a larger expansion by myself, which among other things allows for a fifth player and contains a few replacement cards that can be used independently, if desired.

Take care,
tom

Remove ads