• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I would play a bard if. . .

I would play a bard if. . .

• I wanted to, I just love them that much!

Votes: 171 41.9%
  • if I thought my group was big enough to make one useful

Votes: 152 37.3%
  • if I received some benefit, like maxed out hit points

Votes: 8 2.0%
  • if I got a special, powerful magic item

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • if I got to use it as a charitable tax write-off on my taxes

Votes: 33 8.1%
  • someone held a gun to my head, although being shot may be less painful

Votes: 39 9.6%

• Poll closed .

irdeggman

First Post
Belen said:
I fixed Bards by giving them access to the Wiz/Sor spell list in addition to their own. That is all the class needed.

If you want to play a 2nd ed bard sure.

No real theme just basically a sorcerer with some bardic music abilities and the ability to cast spells in light armor w/o ASF.

I personally like what they did to the bard's spells in 3.0/3.5 {well except for adding in the cure spells, but ce la vie}- it made them more themeatic.

I really hated 2nd ed bards (even though I ran 2 of them) with their spells. Somehow a fireball slinging bard just doesn't fit the image to me.

irdeggman

First Post
Fishbone said:
I know what the rules are, I just say its contrary to what the bard traditionally represents. And yeah, I'm not so much of a hard ass that I wouldn't allow custom magical devices(Pomeroy's Persuasive Podium sounds fantastic) but I wouldn't be all that happy about it, either.

Not all cultures emphasize singing and playing instruments.

To me dwarven bards would be more likely to chant or play percussion instruments.

Celtic bards would be more likely to shout than sing (skalds) or play a lyre since they are more battlefield oriented inspirationals.

These are just a couple of examples of cultures that to me at least show how not all bards would sing/play instruments.

Belen

Adventurer
irdeggman said:
If you want to play a 2nd ed bard sure.

No real theme just basically a sorcerer with some bardic music abilities and the ability to cast spells in light armor w/o ASF.

I personally like what they did to the bard's spells in 3.0/3.5 {well except for adding in the cure spells, but ce la vie}- it made them more themeatic.

I really hated 2nd ed bards (even though I ran 2 of them) with their spells. Somehow a fireball slinging bard just doesn't fit the image to me.

The bardic spells in 3e sucks donkey balls. What I love about the bard in the old days is that they were treated like a class that picks thing up.

However, as I allow the Monte Cook bard in my games, no one wants to play one of those weaklings from the PHB.

Amitiel

First Post
irdeggman said:
Not all cultures emphasize singing and playing instruments.

To me dwarven bards would be more likely to chant or play percussion instruments.

Celtic bards would be more likely to shout than sing (skalds) or play a lyre since they are more battlefield oriented inspirationals.

These are just a couple of examples of cultures that to me at least show how not all bards would sing/play instruments.

I always thought Dwarves would be prone to Yoik, or epic poetry. A quick look through some of the more obscure musical intruments and styles can get you some cool ideas.

Then again I also had the rather amusing thought of a Bard based on Blue Man Group and Stomp, where everything is an instrument.

irdeggman

First Post
Belen said:
The bardic spells in 3e sucks donkey balls. What I love about the bard in the old days is that they were treated like a class that picks thing up.

However, as I allow the Monte Cook bard in my games, no one wants to play one of those weaklings from the PHB.

As a 2nd ed example of what a bard's spells should look like:

Check out Birthright. {It looks real close to being the source for recreating the bards in 3.0 and seeing as it is my favorite "setting" it is only logical that I like what bards have become}

They could only learn spells from the Illusion and Divination schools and cast Enchantment/charm ones using ancient elven songs.

They also had a specific human culture (Rjurik) where they were skalds and revered as historians (Rjurik bards also had to be lawful in alignment).

Birthright was the last setting produced by TSR before it folded.

Dark Sun also had interesting bards.

They couldn't cast spells at all, but instead were masters of poison.

Roman

First Post
GreatLemur said:
Roman said:
I just plain don't like bards, but for me it is not so much the mechanics, as the flavour. I just don't like the 'artsy-musical' types as my characters. I recognise that bards have their place in legends, fantasy and history, but they are just not for me.

This point isn't getting nearly enough of a spotlight in this thread.

I guess I have something in common with bards after all. :D ;)

zevon

First Post
Extra abilities

Since Bards gravitate to jack of all trades sometimes I'd give Bard players incentives like gaining 1st level of sneak attack/fighter feat/metamagic feat/extra spell at predetermined levels and/or good RP rewards. Also sometimes offered up Perform Dance vs Reflex save to gain +1 dodge bonus (cumulative with dodge feats) as a bob and weave/distraction move (class ability). Another one was Bardic Scream (or something like that it was called) which was a free action at the start of combat that gained initiative for Bard (save vs will).

Although I didn't like having to bribe.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Vyvyan Basterd said:
From the SRD:

"While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance."
Does d20 Modern have hip-hop rapping bards? :)

Greywulf's solution quite neatly points out that a significant part of the bard's perceived reputation as a guy in silly purple tights is totally irrelevant to the usefulness of the class. Personally, I agree with Rich Burlew's early cartoons of Elan the bard singing "Bluff Bluff Bluff the stupid ogre!" I don't want the singing helper in my D&D games, but I'm cool with the crunch of the class.

\Yo, Portland represent! There seem to be lots of bards here.

Chimera

First Post
Belen said:
The bardic spells in 3e sucks donkey balls.

The first level spells in the PHB aren't all that great, I'll give you that. But after that, I have a serious hard time narrowing down what I want from all the choices. Add in the Spell Compendium and there are some really cool spells for Bards.

Remove ads