• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

iaijutsu focus question

Havoc123456

First Post
hey everybody. i have a question about how to make iaijutsu focus a class skill. i am playing a level 20 gestalt adventure and i wanted to do a barbarian/frenzied berserker// warblade build with feral death blow and iaijutsu focus to do like a one hit killing machine. so is there a feat or something to make it a class skill so i dont have to take a different class?

thanks in advanced

Havoc123456

First Post
Alternative Skill Systems :: d20srd.org

I'm not sure you should be able to use IF while raging or berserking, though, honestly. Both from a mechanical perspective (thought you were restricted from non-Intimidate charisma skills) and a flavor standpoint -- IF requires some concentration and focus.

oh yeah. i didnt even think about that. im either gonna have to talk to my dm or switch up what i was doing. thanks for pointing that out and thanks for the link though. would i still be able to perform maneuvers while raging?

Last edited:

oh yeah. i didnt even think about that. im either gonna have to talk to my dm or switch up what i was doing. thanks for pointing that out and thanks for the link though. would i still be able to perform maneuvers while raging?
That depends entirely on the maneuver, since some are all about smashing things while others require patience and Concentration, which the Rage ability says specifically don't work while raging.

A lot of Diamond Mind maneuvers can't be used while raging for instance because they require a concentration check, although there might be some lines in the ToB specifically going over rage effects and maneuvers.

domino

First Post
Alternative Skill Systems :: d20srd.org

I'm not sure you should be able to use IF while raging or berserking, though, honestly. Both from a mechanical perspective (thought you were restricted from non-Intimidate charisma skills) and a flavor standpoint -- IF requires some concentration and focus.
Depends. If it's the calm, find your center, move in the right moment thing, yeah, not much for the raging barbarian.

I could see it working if you're talking about a volcano or similar metaphor, where the pressure builds, and builds, and builds, until it explodes in one cataclysmic assault. The person who lets his rage gather until he snaps, all at once.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Rage (Ex)

A barbarian can fly into a rage a certain number of times per day. In a rage, a barbarian temporarily gains a +4 bonus to Strength, a +4 bonus to Constitution, and a +2 morale bonus on Will saves, but he takes a -2 penalty to Armor Class. The increase in Constitution increases the barbarian’s hit points by 2 points per level, but these hit points go away at the end of the rage when his Constitution score drops back to normal. (These extra hit points are not lost first the way temporary hit points are.) While raging, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except for Balance, Escape Artist, Intimidate, and Ride), the Concentration skill, or any abilities that require patience or concentration, nor can he cast spells or activate magic items that require a command word, a spell trigger (such as a wand), or spell completion (such as a scroll) to function.

Bold mine for emphasis. iaijutsu focus is a Charisma-based skill. Any Maneuvers tied to Charisma, Dexterity, Intelligence or the Concentration skill cannot be used.

Everything else should be legit.

Remove ads