• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Dichotomy's Age of Worms: The Whispering Cairn

Vixtrin's eyes go wide as the swarm of beetles comes flying up out of the hole and quickly engulfs a large portion of the floor. Never having encountered such a foe before and uncertain what good her trusty length of chain might do against the thousands of virulent beetles, Vixtrin moves forward ten feet and brandishes her torch against the swarm's barrage.

Attempting to use the lit torch as a weapon. PHB 127, one-handed improvised weapon...the attack should go at Torch melee atk +0, 1d3+3 bludgeoning dmg, plus 1 point of fire dmg, critical 20/x2. Vixtrin is really only going for the fire damage, though. Anything else I leave to your discretion.

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
As Fintan's song begins to inspire the group, Lartis nods in response to Sprout's question. "Aye, lad. I've got some of the oil we found. But do you think..."

"Ugh! I thought that sounded roach-like... Anyway, as a friend of my brother used to say: 'If in doubt, set something on fire!' You splash 'em, I'll light 'em!"

Sprout will move forward (15 ' North and 5' West, so he's against the wall) and Ready an Action: Once Lartis (or anyone) has soaked the bugs with oil, Sprout will Attack with his lit Torch (melee if in range, or by throwing it if not).

(Melee/Ranged w/Improvised Weapon: -2. Although I'd posit that for the purposes of hitting/igniting the oil, I'd really only need to beat the Touch AC...)

Dichotomy

Explorer
Lit torch in hand, Sprout nimbly spring to the wall, waiting for the time to strike.

The freakish aberration skirts up to Vixtrin and tries to strike with a claw. Vixtrin is completely caught of guard by the swiftness of the creature's movements. However, she is unscathed, as the thing completely misses her.

The swarm of beetles descends en masse upon Sprout. He is able to swipe at the group with his torch, but he swings wide. As the mass bites into him, Sprout feels the distinct burning of acid coming from the insects as well. [size=-2]OOC: 3 damage plus 1 acid damage.[/size]

"Blast!" Byron shouts. He boldly moves forward, placing his thumbs together and shouting arcane words. Flames burst from his outstretched hands and leap to burn the beetle swarm.

Fintan fires his bow, but is unable to get decent shot.

Vixtrin hesitates a moment. Since the aberration didn't come close to hitting her, while the swarm did hurt Sprout, the brave warrior steps next to the swarm and swings her torch. Alas, her aim is little better than Sprout's was.

"Splash! Right!" Lartis shouts. He digs out a flask of oil and launches it at the swarm. His throw was a bit short, but at least some of the oil splashed on the beetles.

Seeing the time to strike, Sprout lashes out with his torch. His aim is true this time. The torch itself singes some of the bugs. Then the flame touches the oil, and a small flare up burns many more. The swarm of beetles is dispersed.

[size=-2]OOC: I took a slightly liberty with the torch and oil. A lit lantern when thrown at a swarm normally does 1d4 damage to a swarm. The flame from a torch normally does 1d3. in this case, I simply had Sprout's attack do all the damage (treating the lit oil the same as a thrown lantern).

I also took some liberty with Vixtrin's choice to attack the swarm rather than the aberration. I hope you don't mind.

Aberration: 21
Swarm: 20 (dispersed)
Byron: 13
Fintan: 10
Vixtrin: 8
Sprout: 7 (4 damage)
Lartis: 7[/size]

[size=-2]OOC: And since the aberration is at the top of the order...[/size]

The aberration moves deftly on its six legs, taking a step toward Vixtrin. The creature lashes at the warrior with two claws. As the first connects, a sickening splash of blood is heard, and Vixtrin's face goes pale. After the second connects, the brave woman collapses to the ground, and blood begins to flow onto the floor.

[size=-2]The aberration is now just one square west of where it is on the map. Vixtrin is unconcious, and maybe dead.[/size]

Wowza. :eek: Dichotomy, could you please e-mail me with Vixtrin's current HP? If not feasible (and I can easily imagine at least several reasons why you'd prefer to keep that information close at hand), then I understand and I'm content to wait to see what happens. Unless or until Vixtrin reaches consciousness, this'll be my last post here for a while but please don't assume that my lack of posting indicates disinterest. :)

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
After the second connects, the brave woman collapses to the ground, and blood begins to flow onto the floor.

"Oh no!" Sprout shouts, looking at Vixtrin's collapsed form in horror.

Collecting his wits, he steps (limps!) 5' to the South West, pulls out his sling and engages this new threat... From a distance...

(Ranged Attack +2 , 1d4+2)

TiCaudata

First Post
Fintan continues his song knowing that it is no help to Vixtrin for the time being. He takes aim at the aberration again with his bow, and then takes a 5 foot step south.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Byron, out of any real offensive magic, grabs his crossbow and fires at the abberation. His aim is true, and he strikes one of the creature's legs. He takes a step away as he reloads his crossbow.

Fintan, still singing with gusto, fires again at the thing. This time his arrow connects. He steps to the south.

Sprout, in bad health, limps a bit away and flings a sling bullet at the aberration. His shot connects, and more blood flows from the thing.

Lartis looks with concern at Vixtrin, and then at the creature still standing next to her. "First things first," the dwarf says relatively calmly. He moves to stand directly over Vixtrin and swings his pick. Like his companions before him, Lartis also strikes true. The creature is in bad shape, from what little you can tell.

The aberration staggers a step, putting Lartis between itself and the other companions. Just as it did to Vixtrin, the creature lashes out with two claws. However, its wounds seem to have the better of it. Both strikes utterly fail to connect.

[size=-2]Aberration: 21 (17 damage; already acted this round)
Swarm: 20 (dispersed)
Byron: 13
Fintan: 10
Vixtrin: 8 (unconscious 1 round)
Sprout: 7 (4 damage)
Lartis: 7[/size]

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
The aberration staggers a step, putting Lartis between itself and the other companions. Just as it did to Vixtrin, the creature lashes out with two claws. However, its wounds seem to have the better of it. Both strikes utterly fail to connect.

Assuming the aberation still poses a threat when he gets a chance to act, Sprout will move along the North West Wall to get a clear shot (so that Lartis no longer offers the creature any cover) and fires another bullet at it.

(Ranged Attack +2 , 1d4+2)

Dichotomy

Explorer
Byron takes a step to the side to get a clearer shot. Alas, his shot is off the mark. "Blast!" the wizard exclaims as he reloads the crossbow.

Still singing, Fintan moves to get a clear shot, however, he completely misfires as he nervously fails to properly knock his arrow.

Sprout limps along the wall and flings another sling bullet. Unfortunately, he slightly overcompensates for fear of striking Lartis and barely misses the abberation.

Standing resolute over Vixtrin, Lartis roars as he brings down his pick again on the creature. The dwarf plants his pick right in the middle of the large eye. The abberation falls to the ground.

[size=-2]OOC: Combat over. Whew![/size]

Lartis drops his pick and kneels to the ground at Vixtrin's side. The cleric places a hand on her neck. "By Moradin, she still lives. All-Father," he mutters. The blood stops flowing from Vixtrin's wounds. [size=-2]OOC: Vixtrin is at -4.[/size]

"I can't do enough now to help her more," Lartis says with a disappointed tone. In an uncharacteristic display of rage, the dwarf kicks the abberation away from Vixtrin and proceeds to slam his pick into its unconscious form.

Byron leans into Fintan's ear. "Something struck a nerve there."

Remove ads