• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Dichotomy's Age of Worms: The Whispering Cairn

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
"I can't do enough now to help her more," Lartis says with a disappointed tone. In an uncharacteristic display of rage, the dwarf kicks the abberation away from Vixtrin and proceeds to slam his pick into its unconscious form.

Well, I'm a bit worse for wear myself... Perhaps it would be best to withdraw for the day and tend to our injuries. Any thoughts as to the best place to hole up? We could camp out near the entrance, or perhaps we could occupy that old Mine Office...

Dichotomy

Explorer
Byron taps his chin thoughtfully. "The mine office may actually be a good idea. It has been abandoned for sometime, if I recall correctly. It might also, ummm, let us avoid running into people that might take too much interest." The mage gives Fintan a knowing look.

TiCaudata

First Post
Fintan gives a look of mock innocence. "I hardly know what you could possible mean. Besides if we really wanted to avoid notice the wolf den is definitely closer and probably easier to defend than trudging back to the mining office. Especially since I don't belive we should move her more than absolutely necessary."

Dichotomy

Explorer
"Well, lad," Lartis chimes in. He has a very somber look to his face. "Our dear friend is stable enough to move for now. By the All-Father's will, I've managed to succeed at that. The wolf den would probably be easier to defend, should that be needed. But would there even be need for such defense if we go back to the mine office?"

The dwarf looks at the wounded Sprout at shakes his head. "If something like that," Lartis points to the aberration still riddled with holes from his pick, "comes to call in the wolf den, I doubt that it would matter much how defensible it is. I can't revive Vixtrin until the morning, nor do anything for Sprout. Byron, you didn't stop casting magic because you thought your weapon would do better, I'm sure. And while your voice do be fair, Fintan, I doubt it would turn the tide when the rest of us have little left."

Lartis seems to have more on his mind. But he says nothing further as he looks at the group.

Dichotomy

Explorer
"Alright then. I suppose we should take our torches with us. Whatever they might do in this room, they aren't going to do it when they burn out," Byron states rather flatly. Unless someone objects, he proceeds to gather them up.

After assembling the torches and shifting around some gear, the party distributes the weight of supplies and the unconscious Vixtrin. Even with his weak leg, Lartis still has the stoutness of his kindred, and he stubbornly demands that he carry the brunt of the weight.

The party passes without event out of the cairn and its errie whispers. Though weighed down, it still only takes about 20 minutes to get back to the mine office. A couple of crows feast on the bodies of the dire rats inside, but otherwise it seems the same as you left it.

Lartis unrolls a bedroll and with some help places Vixtrin upon it. "You lads turn your backs and talk about something. I'll be needing to take off her armor, and she'd not like you watching, I'd wager." The dwarf thinks for a moment. "Better yet, this place must have a well of some kind. Probably out back. You three should go find it. Make sure the water is clean, and bring some back. And I'm SURE it'll take the brains of all three of you to find it. Lartis' severe tone preemptively cuts off the question likely in the mind of at least one of the three young men.

Since Lartis is obviously not doing anything until the others leave, there is little choice but to abide by his request.

Sure enough, the three men find a well right in the backyard of the building. While some of the stones are missing, a bucket and worn rope are still there. The water doesn't have the best taste, but it's clean.

"Well, I imagine we found that entirely too fast," Byron muses. "Lartis probably doesn't want us back quite so soon." The mage quickly washes his hands and face in the water, and he offers the bucket to the others before lowering it back down to get some fresh for Vixtrin. "By your reckoning, what ought we to do now?" Byron looks askance at the other two.

TiCaudata

First Post
Fintan washes his face and hands quickly, and then proceeds to find a comfortable place to sit and idly play his lute. "Near as I can tell we need to get all of those lanterns lit. There is the slight issue of the lack of red lantern however. I don't suppose you have a way to make a ball of red light do you?" He directs the last question towards Byron. "I suppose we always could just send someone healthy into Diamond Lake to get a red lantern tonight, couldn't cost that much and I could always use a gig on the side..."

TiCaudata

First Post
"After we get the light situated, I'd think it would be smart to check out whether any of the other alcoves have a way to get down, perferrably without a floor collapse."

Amal Shukup

First Post
TiCaudata said:
"After we get the light situated, I'd think it would be smart to check out whether any of the other alcoves have a way to get down, perferrably without a floor collapse."

"I didn't find one, but I'm thinking that there might be a way <i>up</i> too..."

TiCaudata

First Post
"I agree with that, but I wonder if the quickest way up is to find a way down? Granted I would prefer a less abrupt way than the skeleton found..."

Remove ads