• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Dichotomy's Age of Worms: The Whispering Cairn

michael_noah

First Post
"Brother Lartis is doing well enough, Vixtrin. I really believe he just needed to take a break from all of this excitement, so there's nothing to be worried about. I hope that I can provide you some of the aid that he has in the past."

Still pacing, Nollan turns to Fintans strumming.

"I suppose that answers your question then. If the rest of these folks will have me, I'd like nothing more than the chance to explore some uncharted territory. If it has the added benefit of solving a mystery... or providing wealth and opportunity, all the better." Waving his hand dismisively, Nollan continues "The garrison can go leep in the lake if they decide to care about a little map that noone was using. They don't seem too interested when normal townsfolk have problems, so I don't know why I should be interested if they can't hang on to their scrap paper."

Stopping his pacing and finally finding a place to sit, Nollan is obviously ready to get down to the business of taking on the mine.

"Can you fill me in on exactly what you've seen down there? Has there been any sign of the missing girl... well I suppose there wouldn't be what with a den of wolves and all. But what have you found?"

OOC: There's no need to repeat what's happened if you don't want to, as I can read it above. Of course, feel free to provide embellishments and commentary.

Silent for a long time with a hard frown knotted between her eyebrows and her arms crossed irritatedly about her chest, Vixtrin at the last relays what, to her mind, are the important features of the cairn. "Wolves. Signs of rats. A hoard of beetles. And a...thing...that seemed to nearly rent me in two." Angry again, Vixtrin continues. "The whole fetid place reeks and is in sore need of cleaning out, girl or no girl." From the set of her stance, it is obvious that Vixtrin has no desire to go anywhere else but directly back to the cairn.

Dichotomy

Explorer
Byron looks at the group. He seems a bit apprehensive, but there is little good extra caution would do now that Nollan already knows so much. "There are also some interesting things about the place. An interesting apparatus, and that whole thing with the lanterns..."

The mage looks at Vixtrin and tentatively continues. "I know that it would be good to go back at it, but that might not be prudent. I've pretty well exhausted my repetoire of spells for this day." Obviously eager to spread the blame to things other than only himself, he adds, "Oh, and we wanted to see about some things in town, perhaps. And Nollan here has used up some of his magic, too. Perhaps he also used more earlier in the day..." He gives Nollan a hopeful look.

michael_noah

First Post
"Well, now that you mention it, Byron, I am a bit spent myself. I suppose that we could take a bit of time and make ready. Perhaps you could fill me in on the rest of the details concerning things and apperati... We could of course also outfit ourselves with whatever you may have found necessary up until this point."

Amal Shukup

First Post
Sprout does some tentative stretching, noting with pleasure that his injuries are more or less healed. Smiling, he nods his thanks towards the newcomer.

Dichotomy said:
"Oh, and we wanted to see about some things in town, perhaps.

"There was some discussion of hitting the town to see if there was any untoward interest in our absences... Maybe pick up a red lantern too."

michael_noah

First Post
Nollan tentatively speaks up, not wanting to seem as though he's giving orders, "Why don't I hold down the fort here, with anyone who'd like to keep me company, and... Spaul and Fintan, you'd seem to be the ones that could get things done in town with the least amount of fuss."

TiCaudata

First Post
"That sounds like a splended idea, I could hit the town some, buy a few random things, like a red lantern for instance, perform a show, hopefully not get mugged, and make it back in time for tomorrow. Whoever wants to come with is welcome, but I believe that Sprout here is the best bet since he is capable of not being seen if he doesn't want to be and it wouldn't be ridiculous for me to have someone with for the shopping.

"Nowthen, other than a red lantern, what do we need?"

(OOC: do we want to do an excursion on the side or just say that we went to town? I'm assuming that unless we have a random (or even "random") encounter of some sort the side trip won't take long. Does Dichotomy have a plan for side ventures like PM's or group emails or sblocks?)

TiCaudata

First Post
to Dichotomy:

[sblock]
Fintan heads into town with the primary purpose of pricing out lanterns. Ideally he would like to get one that remotely resembles the lanterns already in the cairn. He will make a show of going to each shop that might be remotely possible, and then going back to whichever one gives him the best price. Ideally Sprout would come along and act as a paid errand boy for the first part, and then I would leave the lamp with him "to take back" while I went and tried to convince a tavern owner to let me perform for the evening. Then I would head back out to the mine office if I think it's safe, otherwise I'd go to the estate and head out at first light.
[/sblock]

To Amal:

[sblock]
My plan is to have you more or less appear as an hired courier for whatever I decide to buy. If you have better things to do that will take however long we have left, let me know.
[/sblock]

michael_noah

First Post
As some folks begin to the trip to town, Nollan takes the opportunity to have a look around the mine office. He stears clear of the dead rats as they begin to gather flies, and slowly pocks around to see if there is anything of interest.

Quickly satisfied that the place is as it was described to him, Nollan approaches Vixtrin.

"I hope you don't mind my healing you without your permission earlier - but it seemed that you were not in a position to give it. I also just wanted to say that though we've not actually met before, I have heard of you, and I believe that the treatment given to you at the garrison - in response to what was just a little prank - was completely uncalled for. I hope that you've found better luck since then... I know that my life has certainly taken a turn for the better since leaving that drudgery behind."

Vixtrin's eyes flash with anger at Nollan, but when the priest mentions ill treatment at the hands of the garrison, Vixtrin snorts. "Cap'n Trask got his own. I've no regrets for my behaviour, and none for my just deserts, either. The work at Osgood's suits me well enough." Vixtrin frowns at Nollan and the fleeting friendliness dies in her eyes. "But you. Changed, have you? Last I knew, you liked your wenches and your wine well enough, you did." Vixtrin crosses her arms about her chest and bores holes into Nollan with her blue eyes.

Remove ads