• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Dichotomy's Age of Worms: The Whispering Cairn

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=@ Amal & TiCaudata][size=-2]OOC: The reason for the difficulty in finding a lantern is based upon my assumption that you'd want something fairly similar to the other lanterns. While neither of you are experts, it is easy to tell that the lanterns are not standard fair, by any means. From Taggin's appraisal based upon the description you, presumably, gave him, it is quite rare. If you simply want a common lantern with red panes, Taggin can get that locally for you in a day or two. Let me know what you guys want.[/size]

As Sprout and Fintan make the best of their night, they, alas, don't do the greatest job of it. For better or for worse, Sprout doesn't pick up any pertinent information about the recent events, except that he hears that some she-elf has been besting everyone at The Feral Dog in the bar's contentious dagger tossing contest.

Fintan fairs, unexpectedly, even worse. Perhaps there is something wrong with the weather. Regardless, the bard is simply unable to keep his lute in tune. By the time he resorts to a cappella singing, the crowds have simply lost interest. He is able to scrap enough to pay for a couple drinks for the night, but no real profit is to be made.[/sblock][sblock=@michael_noah]Shortly after Nollan has made his dramatic exit, he hears muffled voices from inside the abandoned mine office. Soon it is apparent that the higher pitched of the two voices is growing quite loud. The door flies open, and Byron quickly skips out and slams it behind him. Immediately afterward something crashes into the other side of the door.

Byron turns to Nollan with an ashen face. "Bit touchy, I guess," he says meekly. A moment later, the corner of his mouth turns up and the mage releases a short guffaw.[/sblock]

TiCaudata

First Post
[sblock=@ Amal & Dichotomy]

At the end of the night, Fintan has given up on the lute and starts walking back towards the camp office with it strung over his shoulder.

"Well, you lose some and you win some I guess... I don't have much of an urge sitting around on my duff in that mine office for any longer than I have to. Let's just hope that the mage's red light will be sufficient and explore the sarcophagus room some more."

[/sblock]

Amal Shukup

First Post
[sblock=Dichotomy & TiCaudata]

TiCaudata said:
At the end of the night, Fintan has given up on the lute and starts walking back towards the camp office with it strung over his shoulder.

Sprout will head back with Fintan...

[/sblock]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=@ michael_noah]After Byron has retreated to the outdoors with you, he politely talks to you for a bit about whatever you may wish to discuss. During conversation, he suddenly starts. "Drat! I have to go back, too. There is some daily paperwork I didn't get finished. If it isn't done before the morning, my absence will definitely be noticed. I'll try to catch up with the others in town. Maybe warn them of that one." With another chuckle, the mage points toward the office. He quickly gathers his things, and heads into town.[/sblock][sblock=@ Amal & TiCaudata]Just as the two of you reach the outskirts of town to head back to the mine office, Byron comes clumsily jogging up to you, but he is coming from inside town.

"I'm glad I caught you both. I think there's a problem with that map. Its absence has been noted, and I trust that we don't want Garrison folk breathing down our backs. But I think I've figured out a way to get around it..." Byron proceeds to detail an astoundingly complex plan of paper shuffling, white lies, and timing. "The end result, gentlemen, is that after approximately two weeks, the map will be back in the Garrison, and anyone that is relevant with believe its absence was supposed to happen. Of course, this will take quite a trick to pull off. We really can't have any of those... well, ANYONE taking an interest in us. So, in short," he says ironically, considering the length at which he has been speaking, "I should stay behind to make certain it goes off without a hitch. And if something DOES come up, I can give you some warning. I'm sure that either of you two could handle the delicate work, but... well, I think... ummm... I could do it better." While he leaves it unsaid, Byron's downcast eyes and reddening face suggest that other reasons might exist as well.[/sblock]

michael_noah

First Post
"Well, sir, it was... good to make you acquaintance. Will you be returning on the morrow?", calls Nollan after the retreating mage. Quite puzzle by his quick exit, Nollan broods on it for some time before thinking it safe to once again approach Vixtrin.

Knocking lightly on the door, Nollan calls in, "I'd like to come back in if that's alright, it's getting a little late. And, well, please don't through anything."

TiCaudata

First Post
"Hmm, well that was unexpected... Shall we put an order in for a sub par source of scintilatingly scarlet shine?"

Fintan than procedes to walk back to the cheapest merchant and place such an order, even if it means leaving a note nailed to the door.

Dichotomy

Explorer
In response to Nollan's query, Vixtrin simply opens the door and turns around. After Nollan has made his way inside, the lass walks by him with a large dead rat in each hand. She unceremoniously dumps them to the side of the office. When Vixtrin reenters the office, she says, with an obvious strained effort at civility, "Smells better now."

In the meantime, Fintan leaves a note at the general store, as the lights are already out. Presuming that the bard and Sprout then return to the mine office, the trip is uneventful.

[size=-2]OOC: michael_noah, given that Fintan and Sprout engaged in more time consuming activities, you can talk more with Vixtrin if you'd like, or we can just leave that be. Let me know.[/size]

michael_noah

First Post
After finding a place to relax away from any leftover gore, Nollan opines, "It really does at that... Where are those fellows anyway? I really am of a mind with you, that is, I'd like to explore these caverns. Then again, we did say we'd wait until the morning, so there's no need to have them back yet."

Nollan stifles a yawn and begins fidgetting with his spell components, checking the binding on his morningstar, and organizing his pack. After this has been done long past what was necessary, he again attempts to begin a conversation with his companion.

"Vixtrin, tell me, how did your band plan to go about any future battles? I'd guess that you're the most fit of us to be a general of sorts... Do you have any particular advice about how to fight alongside the others, especially the spindly and small ones?"

OOC: Don't have too much more to go into with Vixtrin - I think the sooner we get the others back and have the group together, the better.

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
michael_noah said:
OOC: Don't have too much more to go into with Vixtrin - I think the sooner we get the others back and have the group together, the better.
[size=-2]OOC: That's fine. It is unlikely that you'd have any particularly meaningful conversation, other than starting to establish rapport and "make up" for the unpleasant meeting.[/size]

TiCaudata

First Post
After leaving the note attached to the general store door. Fintan (and I'm assuming Sprout?) head back to the mine office.

"I trust you two are making nice now? Excellent! We could not find any lamps nearly as ornate as the ones down there. I put in an order for a normal lantern with red glass however. So I'm knackered, who want's first watch?"

Remove ads