• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Dichotomy's Age of Worms: The Whispering Cairn

michael_noah

First Post
Nollan, seeing the damage done to Vixtrin in short order, shouts, "By the gods! What can we do?!"

OOC: I hope it's fair to assume that Nollan resumed his previous exploration configuration, with shield and torch, though we didn't specifically mention that he gathered it back up. He delays, hoping someone has a better method of defeating the things than he.

Dichotomy

Explorer
OOC: I hope it's fair to assume that Nollan resumed his previous exploration configuration, with shield and torch, though we didn't specifically mention that he gathered it back up. He delays, hoping someone has a better method of defeating the things than he.
[size=-2]OOC: No problem. I think things like that can go without saying. It's easy for us to forget it, but we know Nollan wouldn't just leave the torch sitting in the other room.[/size]

Amal Shukup

First Post
Dichotomy said:
The diminutive beetles gather into a familiar looking swarm and move with astounding speed to completely cover both Sprout and Vixtrin. Both are bit dozens of times quickly, and acid burns into their flesh. With a horrid scream, Vixtrin collapses to the ground. [size=-2]OOC: Spout takes 5 damage (1 plus 4 acid); Vixtrin is unconscious and dying... again.

Sprout - on the very edge of collapsing from wounds - will hurl himself to the floor, crushing as many bugs beneath him as he can while trying to roll out of the swarm

[SIZE=-2](I have no idea how to resolve this in game terms. Perhaps doing unarmed attack damage, plus movement - say 1/3 speed? out of the swarm?)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]
Dichotomy said:
Oh, and has anyone heard from Amal? It looks like he's not been on the site for quite some time.[/size]

OOC: I'm here. Nothing radical going on except that I've hit a HUGELY busy time: lots of contracts heating up, people in from out of town. Sometimes days seem to go by between my drawing breath... I'll try to do a better job of keeping up)[/SIZE]

Dichotomy

Explorer
[size=-2]OOC: I think we can handle it like a tumble. Let me know if there's any problem with that.[/size]

Sprout fights against the distracting effects of the swarm crawling about him. He throws himself to the ground and nimbly rolls to relatively safety behind Nollan. Unfortunately, Sprout does little appreciable damage to the swarm, but at least he is no longer in its midst.

The large beetle scampers right into the swarm next to Fintan. With a wiggling of the head that you recognize from before, the insect shoots a stream of acid. Fintan takes the brunt head on, and the bard's skin burns. Some acid also shoot back to Sprout, but he is able to shrug it off.

As Vixtrin lies bleeding on the ground, Fintan swings his torch at the swarm. Unfortunately, his swing is wide. The bard takes a step back from the beetle.

[size=-2]OOC: I'm going to stop there to see if Nollan wants to change his course of action. The rest of you can give me tentative actions for next round.

Initiative
Swarm: 19
Sprout: 18 (1 hp)
Beetle (1): 17
Vixtrin: 11 (unconscious and dying)
Fintan: 4 (3/7 hps; 4 acid damage from spray)
Nollan: 3[/size]

michael_noah

First Post
Nollan will still attempt to heal Vixtrin, though it might be wiser to save his own skin at this point. He'll then move back 20 feet, around the corner, toward the water.

We may need to brave the water, but let's try to draw them off Vixtrin.

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
[size=-2]OOC: Since michael_noah was so fast, and the rest of you probably want to know what the swarm is going to do, might as well do that now.[/size]

As Nollan begins casting his spell, the larger beetle seizes the opportunity to make a bite, but the insect completely misses the cleric. The healing power of Fharlanghn enters Vixtrin, but, alas, it is not enough to revive her. The cleric then backs around the corner toward the water.

The swarm of viscious beetles moves outward toward all three of the nearby targets. Vixtrin is overrun, and as the vermin bite with their acid, it seems quite likely that she is dead or near enough. Fintan reels in pain from his bites and drops dying to the ground. Sprout follows in short order.

[size=-2]OOC: Ummm... I guess I'll keep going, since the unconscious people aren't doing anything. Sorry guys. This is getting bad.[/size]

As the others bleed on the ground, the larger beetle follows Nollan around the corner. Again a spray of acid shoots from its head, but the stout cleric shrugs it off.

[size=-2]Initiative
Swarm: 19
Sprout: 18 (-3 hp)
Beetle (1): 17
Vixtrin: 11 (-9 hp)
Fintan: 4 (-2 hp)
Nollan: 3

Unfortunately, I have to run. I probably won't be able to post again until later this evening. This is about as grim as it could get, though.[/size]

michael_noah

First Post
Fearing the same fate as the others, Nollan goes the only way he believes he can get away from the bugs - into the water. He'll drop the torch and cast Light on his helm first.

He'll travel underneath what he believes to be about half as long as he can hold his breath. If he's wrong, and the swarm is able to follow him, he'll get back out of the water and take his chances climbing back up the rope - dropping his shield on the way.

Last edited:

Dichotomy

Explorer
[sblock=@ michael_noah]OOC: I made the rolls for the unknown nastiness that awaits you. Unfortunately, something kills you very quickly. If it is alright with you, I want to save the details to make it more interesting (and scary) if you all come back. As it is right now, you all die.[/sblock]

The bewildered cleric casts his light spell and braves the water. Nollan's guess was correct, as the beetles do not follow him. He walks down the steps and soon is completely under water.

But soon after, Nollan runs into something he did not expect.

As the swarm finishes off Vixtrin, Fintan, and Sprout, the larger beetle waits for Nollan to return. He never does...

Remove ads