D&D 5E (IC) Fitz's Folly

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Artus Cimber quickly took the ring and then looked at Miss Imogen, not with anger, but with sympathy. He said, "When I first found the ring, I didn't know what I was getting myself into, either. I forgive you, though I think it is best if Dragobait and I continue on our task alone. Tomorrow we will part company, but before I go, I should like to offer you a gift. I'm something of a professional when it comes to acquiring treasure. I would like to offer to you that I will fetch whatever is hidden under that statue."

He indicated the enormous statue of the man with the crocodile on his back and continued, "Ancient Chultans often used sites such as this to store treasures and items. In the morning, I will go in there and get whatever is there. I will present it to you as a symbol of my respect, for having freed yourself of the ring's influence, and of my appreciation, for having returned it to me."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo let out a breath he didn't know he was holding when Artus took the ring. He hadn't trusted himself to say anything. He nodded at Imogen. "Well done Miss Imogen - you broke the hold it had on you. And thank you Artus, that's very generous of you"

"So... let's take a breather and see what happened to this camp, perhaps?"

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Harb is standing in quiet conversation with Artus when Miss Imogen returns. He sees her approach and slips into a defensive stance at first but then relaxes as she shows her intent. He moves aside to give her space to do as she needs and as she prefers the ring he completely relaxes, and wanders off as if nothing had happened at all. With the situation dealt with he commenced with searching the camp for any pertinent information, as well as to perform some last rights as best he could.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Chrysagon read the piece of paper that Kupalue had found in the burnt-out shrine. It was weathered from the Chultan damp heat, but had to have been placed there much after the shrine had been burned, perhaps no more than a week ago. It read:

Agents of the Gauntlet - I am sure that Commander Bol has sent someone to find me, as I have been unable to get a letter to him to inform him of my condition. Beware: Camp Righteous sits in a spot that seems to attract goblins, beasts, and undead. Furthermore, it is a terrible site to defend. As such, Commander Breakbone has established a new encampment fifty miles further upriver. If you wish to speak to me, please come with all haste - Camp Vengeance is much safer than Camp Righteous. Be well.

Captain Perne Salhana

Fradak

Explorer
The tension was palpable. Chrysagon used the letter to break it.
"I know where Perne is. We have to move, now. We are not safe here. Quawacha, do you know where Camp vengeance is?"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Qawasha replied, "I know nothing of this Camp Vengeance." but after taking a look at the letter, he said, "I do, however know of a place that is around fifty miles upriver that would be a good place to build a fortified camp. If this Commander Breakbone is a strong leader, perhaps he found this spot and built his camp there. It is not far from where the jungle parts into the marshland known as the Aldani Basin."

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Rodrigo looked at the letter as well.

"Thank you Qawasha, it confirms that this leads is worth following. I concur with you that this is not a safe place Brother Chrysagon, and we should not camp here tonight. Perhaps across the river? But we should continue investigating before we leave. This letter only tells part of the story. Who destroyed the camp? Are there survivors? Bodies to bury?. Items to recover? Then we could relocate"

He looked at Artus. "In the morning, we can return to see you perform your task, and then part ways. We will head upriver. Is this agreeable?" He looked at the others.

As the group broke up again, he briefly put his hand on Miss Imogen's shoulder and nodded at her. He knew what happened must have been difficult.

Last edited:

Fradak

Explorer
"I don't have for habits to let others risk their lives and collect the benefits... Furthermore, This looks like a sacred place to me and I'm no temple defiler, Sir Cimber.

If you want to stay, Rod, I'll take care of the dead while you search the camp."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Miss Imogen says nothing. The ring was back with Cimber, and she does not see how quickly he puts it on, or if he waits until she was out of sight.

She hears the words of her companions, still frustrated that they believe only now has she shown character. Her head stays bowed, and she feels the teeth of Dragonbait sink through her spine to her throat a hundred times, in her imagined anticipation.

Her skull sinks lower, her hands outstretched. She exhales and her body drops closer to the ground, like a deflated bladder kicked too roughly in play by an enthusiastic boy. She waits, drawing in deep breaths and dust, in her self-made darkness.

It is there bent double in the Chultan heat that she falls asleep.

Fradak

Explorer
Chrysagon took Miss Imogen under his arms and carried her to a a safer place so she could rest after such trial. He put a hand on her forehead, whispering a prayer.

"Through you I bring peace when there is only fear.
Through you I wrest life from darkness's grip.
Through you I bless the innocent soul."

And left her sleep while he takes care of the dead.
A funeral pyre would have been simpler but the smoke could attract unwanted guests. The Paladin opted for the common grave and started digging.

Last edited:

Remove ads