• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ic] nameless II: the seventh from seven

doghead

thotd
Behind the Old Gumps house

A man pokes his head out of the stable. He glances around until he notices Hewik He raises his hands, palm up, in a questioning shrug.

In the Three Bells common room

There are a couple of arrivals as you eat.

The first is a group men. Local craftsmen it looks like. They take a table on the opposite side of the room from the Bremen. One of the Bremen makes a quiet comment and there is a burst of laughter from their table. One of the Bremen howls and snarls like a wolf. The rest thump the table. The craftsmen at the other table shift nervously in their seats, and mutter amoung themselves. One of them moves to get up but another puts a hand on his arm with a shake of his head.

The second arrival strides directly across the room to where the Bremen sit, and clambers up onto the bench, and from there sits on the table. Clambers, because even for a halfling he is small - barely 3 feet. He wears the same armour and gear as the Bremen though, and it is soon obvious that he is one of them. He obviously has news, for they quickly fall into a discussion. They make no effort to hide the topic, they are talking about you and the days events. Only, they don't know that its you they are talking about. But from the looks in your direction, you suspect that they suspect that that they are.

Velmont

First Post
"Sorry to bother you, sir, but do you know the man who live there." he walks nearer of the stable. When he sees the horse, Hewik say "nice, horse, he is beautifull. I love animals. I used to work on a farm, taking care of all the animals."

doghead

thotd
The horse is a small highland pony, which the man has obviously been giving a rub down - the ponys coat is damp, and the stable smells stongly of sweat.

The man shakes his head and points to his mouth. At Hewik's baffled look, he opens his mouth wide and makes a strangled sound, again pointing to his mouth.

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Made the DC 10 sense motive check, nothing else.

Cromwell frowns at the Bremen, and waves the tavern owner. In a low pitched voice, he asks the man "Are they causing you any trouble, sir?"

doghead

thotd
The tavern keep hurries over at Cromwell's wave.

"Well, ... no, not as such. But you know how it is with that kind. ... Um, mercenaries I mean. Not men like you, of course ... well what I mean is that my regulars won't set foot in the door and well, ..ah, yes. So no trouble really, I suppose."

He casts a glance over in their direction, then returns his attention to you.

"Perhaps I can get you something while I'm here? More ale? Some more meats?"

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
"I'm fine, thank you," says Cromwell, frowning. He continues to look at the Bremen for a while, then looks away and tries to recall what he knows about them.

doghead

thotd
The Bremen

General knowledge - the Bremen come from the north, where the mountains boarder the plains. Its a rough area, goblins infest the hills and orcs tribes the plains. They have a reputation for being tough and dangerous fighters. The have an even worse reputation as cruel and heartless mercenaries.

Cromwell's Knowledge -
The Bremen are light foot soldiers. You have heard that they are usually divided into two types - soldiers and scouts. Both are highly capable in the wild. The are as often as not used to root out bandits or put down inserrections. You haven't heard of any Bremen companies in the Marches, although about a year ago a company passed through the Marches on its way down to one of the sea kingdoms. Which one you can't recall.

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
"Oh! You're mute. Sorry for you. So, I suppose you mean that you didn't know where he is, it was that you were telling me?"

"I see you take good care of the pony. Animals always give it back when you take care of them. They are honest with you."
Hewik walk next to the pony, calmly, and start to rub him gently. "It's not a month I left my farm, and I already have the impression that it has been years. I miss the animals I was taking care of." Hewik smiles while he thinks to his farm, his family, Prince and the animals.

doghead

thotd
behind the Old Gumps House

Velmont said:
"Oh! You're mute. Sorry for you. So, I suppose you mean that you didn't know where he is, it was that you were telling me?"

The man nods his head, then again, then again.

Velmont said:
"I see you take good care of the pony. Animals always give it back when you take care of them. They are honest with you."

He nods again.

Velmont said:
Hewik walk next to the pony, calmly, and start to rub him gently. "It's not a month I left my farm, and I already have the impression that it has been years. I miss the animals I was taking care of." Hewik smiles while he thinks to his farm, his family, Prince and the animals.

The man is a bit starrtled when Hewik moves into the stable, taking a half step back away from Hewik. He glances around quickly then turns and steps back over to the pony.

Again, he nods a few times but says nothing. After a couple of minutes the man finishes his work.

Sence Motive 10
He is ready to leave.
Sence Motive 15
As above plus: The man is uncomfortable with you being in the stable.
Sence Motive 20
As above plus: The man has been quite anxious about somebody coming. He wants you to leave now.
Sence Motive 25
As above plus: He cares for animals and seems to understand your feelings. His attitude seems to be more of concern than hostility.

Handle Animal 10
He has finished up his work quickly.
Handle Animal 15
As above plus: He is quite capable with animals.
Handle Animal 20
As above + The general condition of the pony and its stall and gear suggest that the man usually takes quite a bit of care of the animal.

doghead

thotd
the Three Bells Tavern

There is a lull in the conversation at the Bremen's table. Then one of them, a tall lanky fellow, stands and walks over to your table, taking up a position at one end of it. He is the same man that seemed to be answering rather than asking the questions. His fellow Bremen remain where they are, although they look on with undisguised curiosity.

"I'm Ubersaxe Rothweil. Of the Bremen," the last bit being added with a dry smile. "If my guess is correct, you fought some goblins today."

He words are oddly accented to your ears. He is dressed in functional clothes of dark browns and greys. He wears no armour and carries no weapons except a long knife at his belt.

Spot 20:
the Bremen has also got the attention of the three locals at the other table.

Last edited:

Remove ads