• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ic] nameless III: lost and found

Seonaid

Explorer
Garival smiles wryly. "If you can do it, my friend, by all means. I don't have the ability." He gets as close to the fire as possible, without burning himself.

doghead

thotd
Unwelcome visitors.

The day passes slowly. The only distractions are the hissing of the rain hitting the ground, the burbling of a small cascade of water tumbling off the overhang above you, and the crackle and hiss of the fire. On occasion the rain shows signs of letting up. But it never delivers on that promise.

The day is well into the afternoon when the orks arrive. They appear from behind the rocks barely 50 feet away, three solidly built humanoids dressed in battered leathers and filthy furs that blend into the background. With harsh cries they hurl their spears.

A new sound, a discordant note is the only warning Nate and Garival get before the orks launch their attack. Its a soft clunk, the sound of leather wrapped steel bumping against rock.

ooc: Surprise round - Nate and Garival have one std action before the orks can throw. All characters are sitting or squatting.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Fredar is still in a bit of a fog from his fever, and can't react to the orks as fast as the others. He looks frantically about, trying to get his sling ready, with middling success.

(ooc: partially back - I'm good for a couple or few posts a week, if that's okay, doghead)

doghead

thotd
Encounter at the overhang

Surprise Round

Nate and Garival grab weapons and scramble to their feet.

With savage cries, the orcs hurl their spears. Nate side steps one spear and slaps another aside with his mace. Garival is not so lucky, the spear gashes him slightly across his leg (1).

ooc: Notes
(1) Garival suffers 2 wounds.

ooc: So is anyone still here, or shall I have the orcs tie up the loose ends for me?

End of Surprise Round

doghead

thotd
Unwelcome Guests

Round 1

Fredar winds up and hurls a bullet at the approaching orcs. It flies true, but the orc seems to just shrug it off. Fredar grabs what cover he can, but he doubts it will help much.

Garival sets himself ready to receive the orcs assault, staff held at the ready.

Fenix raises his hand a barks something unintelligable. A bolt of energy flies from his hand across the intervening space and strikes another one of the orcs. But this orc too seems to just shrug off the attack. Fenix backs off as much as he can, but it is only 15-20 feet at most.

Nate howls a long wavering cry and, heavy mace in hand, charges into the midst of the orcs. The heavy mace crashes down on the first orc Nate come to. The orc defends furiously, but Nate's attack just crashes through the orc's defences. The orc grunts with pain.

With a their own howl the orcs grab their own heavy maces and fall on Nate. Nate manages to avoid the blow from the orc he had just hammered. But blinded by his rage, the blacksmith is unable to avoid the other two blows. One seems to bother him not at all. The other is enough to make the mighty blacksmith stagger slightly.

"No!" Howls Garival.

ooc: Nate suffers 5 wounds, -1 to rolls

End of Round 1

khavren

First Post
Seeing the lack of response from his bolt, Fenix begins the longer chant that calls forth his spirit hounds to fight for him.

Maerdwyn

First Post
Fredar despairs a little at his friend's charge, wishing he'd had a little more time to fire at the orcs without the posibility f hitting Nate, and knowing that even Nate might have trouble with three orcs at once without help. He forces himself to make a decision out of that knowledge, rather than the small picture in the back of his head of what likely is going to happen to him, and drops the sling. He transfers the orc shaman's spear from his shield hand, and moves toward nate and the orcs, trying to flank at least one of them before he strikes.

ooc: if that's possible in one round that is. +3 Halfspear (1d6+2, 10/+5), not countinfg magic or flanking bonuses, if any.

doghead

thotd
ooc: Fredar can drop the sling as a free action and grab his spear as a move action, which would allow him to attack this round. Grabing the shield and pulling it on would be another action, so doing all three would take a whole round. Attack this round with just the spear, or grab the shield as well and attack next round?

BTW. The half spear is a +1. Just thought I would let you know in case I forget. Of course, Fredar doesn't know.

Post #3800!

Remove ads