• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [IC] THE CURSE OF AMBERSTAR

industrygothica

Adventurer
Lyllie studies the cavern before deciding on an appropriate action. "Maybe a little discontent in the ranks?" she suggests. She targets one of the nearest orcs, but one still near enough to the center of the cavern (N25), and whispers, "Your mother's a pointy-eared elf!"

OOC: Cast Minor Illusion. The sound of the whisper should come from behind the orc, as if from the direction of N23. With any luck it will start a quarrel between the two long enough to do what we need done.

Last edited:

Archon Basileus

First Post
[Ok, let us start our dungeon-crawl party for good! @Neurotic, Anyone willing to go down can do so by a simple acrobatics test, but I'll roll in advance this time! :) Climbing down is easy through most of the walls, @hafrogman! You just roll a simple test against a DC 10 - to climb down or up - and you're done! As for their attention, they're all looking at the conflict unfolding in the center, so anything that maintains a hero away from their immediate attention is good enough for now. Just remember to roll for stealth as usual in such cases.]

The heroes are quick to act. Thulwar begins to move down as the others prepare, glancing at the encampment down below. Harfik and Kethra are quick to notice that the horns rolling around are not filled with strong grog, but with a variety of red wine, recognizable as it is spilled on the floor. Around the fires, the meat partaken is also the one of horses and mules. They've been raiding recently, and giants were not their only target.

Thulwar makes his way down in a heartbeat, under the cover of his illusion and with cautious silence. As he reaches floor level, he obtains a better understanding of the improvised camp, being able to move around as he tries to avoid attention.

"You're mother's a pointy-eared elf!"

"WHAT!?" - meanwhile, a few feet from Thulwar's position, a wrathful orc turns over his shoulder, thrusting a horn full of wine against a column. Clearly he intented to hit the female orc that leaned against it. As he misses, she leaps to the side, furiously reaching for her spiked club. "WHAT WHAT!" - she roars against him.

"AN ELF! MY MOTHER IS AN ELF, YOU SAY!" - orcs take great offense at such comparisons. As the legend goes, the entire species was once elfic in nature. By the time the primarch fought the dwarven queen for the WorldsWatch, a few elfic families chose to wage war by drinking the blood of their enemies in dark war rituals. Generations later, they were considerably stronger and fiercer, but turned into the abominations now known as orcs. Of course, they have their own explanation, resenting anyone willing to comfront their truth with such stories.

"A WHAT?" - the other one seems particularly oblivious, so much more given the noise around.

"HE SAID ELF!" - a third one intervenes, pointing towards the first one. "AND IT SERVES YOU WELL, FHADGAR, YOU NO-GOOD SON OF AN ELF! YOU STILL OWE ME THREE SILVERS FOR THAT VIAL OF FIRST-BLOOD!" - the second female seems furious as well. Apparently, Lyllie's victim is not very popular.

Before anyone can blink, the three have brought two more into the fight. Through strength they determine their ranks, and these five are thirsting for a chance to prove themselves, apparently.

[Orcs and goblins engaged in the intimidation dispute are painted in pink]

[You may choose any spot to go down, as mentioned before.]

The noise around becomes a coordinated bash of shields, tables and boots as the room cries to the giantess "DRINK! DRINK!" in orc. Some yell at Sardath, asking her to push the potion down the giantess' throat, while others beg for blood, starting their own bashing on the other side of the room. Both groups grow to yell "DRINk! DRINK!" and "KILL! KILL!" as if it was a game, and a pair of warriors even suggest eating the baby right away.

Sardath looks around, stoking the fires of both groups, asking what should she do with mocking gestures and cruel laughs.

Down below, to the east, Yttrian, Icosa and Aanzu glance at a pair of goblins. Profiting from the drinking and yelling, they're trying to relieve their bigger counterparts of any gold they might have, cutting their purses and filling pockets within their coats. Not far, a pair of orcs discuss the loot they got, making both Harfik and Kethra realize there must be more slaves in the rooms beyond - gods know how far from here.

[I am presenting the surrounding areas as we go, in response to the intense research that led to the recovery of a few maps from the library. Notice, though, that the information might change as you course through the rooms. The map as it is shows the conclusions you reach by seeing this room and remembering - or looking at - the maps. Also, you can ask directions for major landmarks, and I'll give them according to the maps you have. If anything is not contained in these notes, I'll warn you!]

MAP UPDATED

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EprfJl2xm_JM7K2VZ59EMtydVJIBjK1ZMDetVr2LoEo/edit#gid=0

@Neurotic @JustinCase @Greenmtn @Charwoman Gene @Shayuri @hafrogman @industrygothica

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Once Thulwar was safely away and everyone else moved from the ledge to their own versions of hideout, Tink lets out metallic roar that echoes through the cavern.

OOC: Let's say third round while everyone moves around? Or at the moment one of us is noticed

Greenmtn

Explorer
Harfik Human Monk

Harfik moves down to the floor of the room. Still unsure of where they are going he follows. Moving about ten feet behind Thulwar, Spear in hand, head "on a swivel" for any sign of trouble.

OOC:
Stealth [roll]1d20+3

Acrobatics to get down to the floor [roll0]
[/ooc]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Aanzu hesitates. The dragonborn realizes that although he is not very clumsy, stealth is not his forte. When he notices that Lyllie stays on the plateau, Aanzu decides to do the same for now.

"When the mice are running, this one will challenge the largest cat," the prince whispers to the gnome, staying low to avoid being noticed by casual glances in their direction.

Archon Basileus

First Post
[I have placed your characters around the map. Feel free to reposition them as you want, since you hav plenty of time to move around the room unnoticed. I understand that Kethra's drop is to be the last action, since it denounces your presence.]

As the heroes descend, the troops down below become even more excited. The conflict concocted by Lyllie's magic becomes a sight to see as many others surround the warriors, rooting here and there for each of the sides. They realize how much authority women command among this particular group, their marks no strange to those used to work the city's defenses. The Seeker's tribe, they're called, holding red hands in a circular pattern on their shields, painted in their enemies' blood. They are leaded by powerful alchemy-practising witches, notorious for their strange mixtures and miraculous powers.

"WELL, IT LOOKS LIKE MY MEN ARE RUNNING OUT OF PATIENCE! DRINK IT OR WE SHALL CUT THE CHILD AND FEED THE WARRIORS WITH ITS TENDER PARTS!" - some of the goblins poke the child, which promptly responds by crying. The ogress step onwards, pulling the giantess by the hair and cocking her head back, motioning to spill the drink onto Embla's throat. "When we are done..." - she adds - ".$..I bet you'll tear the child to pieces yourself, Embla..." - right at that moment, Kethra falls behind Sardath the Ogress, and tink's roar fills the room! It is enough to distract the small army from the heroes for a second, except for Yttrian, whose climb causes a few stones to collapse, calling attention upon him!

[So.... Kethra is under the surprised sight of a few goblins and tons of orcs, but she can act before they do. Sardath still holds her back towards Kethra. The others are concealed and can make surprise attacks and actions as well, except for Yttrian. He fights normally, given his stealth scores. I need initiative and actions! :)]

[MENTION=8858]hafrogman[/MENTION] [MENTION=23298]industrygothica[/MENTION] [MENTION=5044]Charwoman Gene[/MENTION] [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] [MENTION=6855102]Greenmtn[/MENTION] [MENTION=24380]Neurotic[/MENTION]

Remove ads