• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ice Damage Underwater

DiceGolem

First Post
How much cold damage does it take to freeze water, if it can at all?

I know it raises all kinds of underwater combat questions, and the water rules don't seem that amazing to begin with, but what would be your opinion? My companions and I have been debating this for some time, and it doesn't help that they've had too many physics classes.

frankthedm

First Post
DiceGolem said:
How much cold damage does it take to freeze water, if it can at all?

I know it raises all kinds of underwater combat questions, and the water rules don't seem that amazing to begin with, but what would be your opinion? My companions and I have been debating this for some time, and it doesn't help that they've had too many physics classes.
I say any amount of cold damage underwater freezes the area affected solid. Those who failed thier reflex saves are entombed in ice, those who make it are shunted to the neares non frozen square. If the effect did not give a reflex save in the first place, one may be attempted at DC the effect would have had.

milo

First Post
I would say that each point of damage lowers the temperature by x degrees. The freezing would be determined by the temperature of the water ahead of time and the damage of the spell. If the water started out at 34 degrees then 5 points of damage would freeze it no problem, but if the water was 80 degrees 5 points wouldn't do much to it.

Elethiomel

First Post
milo said:
I would say that each point of damage lowers the temperature by x degrees. The freezing would be determined by the temperature of the water ahead of time and the damage of the spell. If the water started out at 34 degrees then 5 points of damage would freeze it no problem, but if the water was 80 degrees 5 points wouldn't do much to it.

I assume here you're talking Fahrenheit?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
To the OP: In one of the War of the Spider Queen books Pharaun used cone of cold (If I remember correctly) to freese a small lake solid.

Just to inspire more conversation. ;)

MarkB

Legend
I'd say that, just as with Fire spells igniting combustibles, only Cold spells with non-instantaneous durations can cause water to freeze, unless specified otherwise in individual spell descriptions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads