• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ice Knife (from EE Players Companion) twinnable?

Inglorin

Explorer
Hiho,

just a short question: Is Ice Knife (from the EE Players Companion) twinnable for a Sorcerer? It only targets one creature, but then explodes...

Thanks for your input.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
If the areas overlap and a creature is in the area of both spells is it affected twice, save twice, suffer damage twice?

Scorpio616

First Post
If the areas overlap and a creature is in the area of both spells is it affected twice, save twice, suffer damage twice?
I'd say no, same casting, same spell. Plus it fits the spirit of Twin Spell since it is supposed to spread the damage out and not even Meteor Swarm gets to double up the damage through overlapping area.

Mephista

Adventurer
I think a more relevant question is this - is it either game breaking (too powerful) or game disrupting? If the answer is no, then why not let any player have fun? I generally err on the side of having fun.

Scorpio616

First Post
I'd say yes. Each is a separate instance of the spell with a different target.
It is not a separate instance.

KM @SymphFan
@mikemearls Does Twinned Spell make two spell instances (I.E., can't Concentrate on both spells) or change one spell instance to 2 targets?

Mike Mearls @mikemearls
@SymphFan One spell instance, two targets.
And even if one tries to ignore the game developer, the ability says the same thing.

you can spend a number of sorcery points equal to the spell’s level to target a second creature in range with the same spell

Remove ads