• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iconic 1st level monsters?

howandwhy99

Adventurer
1st level is something of a spectrum of <1HD to 2+HD solos so to speak. Paging through the MM 1e I can find a few that aren't overpowered by special abilities. Popularity is probably the best mark of being iconic though.

Baboon
Badger
Centipede, Giant
Dog, Wild
Dryad
Dwarf
Elf
Frog, Giant
Gnome
Goblin
Green Slime
Halfling
Herd Animal
Hobgoblin
Horse
Jackal
Kobold
Men
Mermen
Mold
Orc
Piercer
Skeleton
Spider, Large
Stirge
Zombie

Don't forget Killer Bee's

That save or die roll for poison is a killer :)

In my campaign they're a 5th-level swarm. Their aura is a fear effect called "I'm Covered in Bees!" and dazes the opponent (they waste a move and minor action freaking out).

I based that on the d20 Modern sentient killer bee swarm (dropped the sentient bit).

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
And giant ants, as many or few as needed to make things interesting.

(See AD&D 1E MM page 7 for illustration. :D )

Last edited:

Nahat Anoj

First Post
The ones that come to my mind:

orcs
kobolds
goblins
stirges
giant rats
skeletons
zombies
hobgoblins
giant centipede
giant spider

About 10 or so minutes after typing "giant spider," that's what I got. :)

MoxieFu

First Post
I like using goblins at first level but saving kobolds for second, third, or even higher. I like lulling players into the false security of "These things are even wimpier than goblins!" Then as they get further into the kobold nest they start hitting the really nasty traps. Then later they discover just how much guile and cunning these sadistic creatures really have.

Remove ads