• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Iconic Items

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Here's the concept for some critique:

I'm looking at a low-magic, heroic-style game. I don't want to have the heroes dripping in magic items. However, I do like the idea of named items that tied to the hero, but aren't even specific physical items. Confused?

Consider Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser. The Fafhrd always has a sword around named "Greysward" (if I remember the name right). Sometimes it's a longsword, sometimes it's a two-handed monster, once even a rapier - depended on the story. But it was always *his* blade. Ditto for Cat's Claw. It was Iconic to them.

So, no (or few) miscellaneous magic items. Yes to items that are tied to the hero. Maybe it is "The Fist of Antharus", a mighty maul. At first level the Fist is just masterwork, but later the same Fist is +3 adamantine. And of course, it has always been that way *grin*.

Essentially I'm looking at totally throwing away magical treasure. Keep the the orc, forget the pie.

So then, how to balance this? How much power how fast? Treat as feats to move the items up?

Anyway, I'll follow up to this as I get more time to write.

john

Prothall

First Post
Fafhrd's Sword: Greywand
Mouser's Sword: Scalpel
Mouser's Dagger: Cat's Claw

Actually, it's not that the weapon has "always been that way". In one story, I specifically remember them looting the corpses of some toughs they dealt with and just naming the weapons over again.

Nice variant, Hong. Have you seen the one in Spells & Spellcraft?

Also, the low-magic, heroic style game sound like what Grim Tales is aiming for. I don't have it yet (my FLGS has special ordered it for me), but I would think it had rules for something like that, as well as generally dealing with the right flavor (in fact, one of the reviewers specifically suggested it for such a game.).

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Thanks hong!

Prothall: One of the potential players for this game mentioned Grim Tales also, so maybe I oughta keep an eye out. Thanks.

john

Magistus71

Explorer
In the Midnight campaign, which is low magic they have what they call Covenant Items, which is basicly what you were describing.

Remove ads