• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Iconics" Throughout D&D History

Kaodi

Hero
This is a bit of a fork from this thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/new-ho...d/324496-what-do-you-want-see-5e-iconics.html .

What I propose is that we make a list of the "Iconics" from throughout D&D history. However, for the purposes of this particular list, I think we should exclude characters who actually belonged to certain people (Evard, Otiluke, Robilar, et al.) and characters who were primarily novel based (Driz'zt, Bruenor, the Heroes of the Lance, et al.).

The list should include name, class, race, gender, and, if they not obviously "Iconics", justification for their inclusion. So:

Regdar, male human fighter.
Jozan, male human cleric.
Tordek, male dwarf fighter.
Lidda, female halfling rogue.
Mialee, female elf wizard.
Krusk, male half-orc barbarian.
Ember, female human monk.
Vadania, female half-elf druid.
Alhandra, female human paladin.
Sovellis, male elf ranger.
Hennet, male human sorcerer.
Devis, male half-elf bard.
Eberk, male dwarf cleric.
Gimble, male gnome bard.
Nebin, male gnome illusionist.
Kerwyn, male human rogue.
Naull, female human wizard.
Aramil, male elf wizard.

Not being based on PHB classes, these guys are sort of "also rans":

Athain, male half-elf hexblade.
Korrin, male human marshal.
Deruwyn, female elf scout.
Meara, female human swashbuckler.
Morthos, male human warlock.
Arthon, male human warmage.
Sorra, female human favored soul.
Ialdabode, male human psion (telepath).
Mitra, female human psion (shaper).
Sandharrow, male half-giant psychic warrior.
Eulad, female maenad wilder.
Xerxes, male xeph soulknife.
Ragnara, female human psychic warrior.
Kazak, male dwarf psion (kineticist).

These were provided by [MENTION=52734]Stormonu[/MENTION] :

Strongheart, male human paladin.
Ringlerun, male human mage.
Mercion, female human cleric.
Warduke, male human fighter.
Elkhorn, male dwarf.
Figgin, male halfing.
Paralay, male elf.

These four were from the quick play Dungeons & Dragons adventure that was found at the beginning of (edit) male many a Dungeon Magazine (edit: how in the Nine Hells did I make a spelling mistake like that?):

Darkblade, male human fighter (in the ranger spirit).
Elanna, female human fighter.
Niles, male halfing rogue.
Thaddeus, male human wizard.

Last edited:

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Recheck: Wasn't Aramil a male elf sorcerer instead of wizard?

D&D 3.5 "Basic Game" (the 2006 re-issue, not the 2004 original) also included minis of:
- Lanin, female elf wizard
- Dothal, male dwarf cleric
- Carn, male human rogue (archer)

Depicted in 4E Essentials, "Heroes of the Fallen Lands": Valenae, (female?) eladrin warpriest; Falon, male human warpriest; Lyriel, female elf knight; Dendric, male human knight; Fargrim, male dwarf slayer; Shara, female human slayer; Keira, female elf thief; Uldane, male halfling thief; Albanon, male eladrin mage; Kathra, female dwarf mage.

Quickleaf

Legend
Morgan Ironwolf!

Yeah and Aleena!
Wakshaani-Aleena_03.jpg

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Don't forget 2e. "Rath is a playable character." (from the description of how awful stats can still sorta be salvaged.)

I'd add Emirikol the Chaotic into the mix as well.

I think the OP's list is more a list of every character described in 3E rather than iconics. To be iconic they need to mentioned/illustrated multiple times and known by many. Most of that list is a blank to me.

So maybe an iconic list (I think we can agree Redgar, Mialee et al are iconic and well known() and a supporting cast list!

Kaodi

Hero
I was just saying something like that over in the thread I forked from. Pretty much everyone on the second list is kind of borderline, though they were obviously intended an inception to be the corollaries of the Core Crew.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
To me, the original "iconics" are the unnamed adventurers traipsing across the bottom of the Appendices of the 1E DMG: halfing, female wizard, dwarf with axe, elf archer and human fighter.

How about the Nameless One and Morte from Planescape: Torment? Not quite standard, but they would get my vote.

And I loves me some Meepo.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads