• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ICv2's interview WotC President Greg Leeds

Odhanan

Adventurer
And now, there is another interview of Greg Leeds on ICv2:

Wizards of the Coast made two dramatic moves this week, filing lawsuits against eight defendants accusing them of copyright infringement of its Dungeons and Dragons Players Handbook 2 (see “Wizards Sues Eight”), and ending all sales of PDF versions of its products (see “WotC Ends PDF Download Sales”). ICv2 reached out to Wizards CEO Greg Leeds with some key questions on its digital strategy.

Piracy has been part of the landscape for as long as there’s been an Internet. Why were Wizards’ actions to stop PDF sales taken now, rather than at any time in the past?

First let me say that we did not enter into this decision lightly. The piracy was increasing at an alarming rate compared to what we’ve seen in the past and we felt that it could have a negative impact on the hobby industry.

By banning PDF sales, Wizards of the Coast now has no legal way for your customers to buy your content digitally. That seems to punish those that were paying for your digital content, while doing little to stop pirates, who can still scan your books or fileshare digital copies already out there, creating a net increase in piracy. What’s your response to that line of reasoning?

We understand that our actions will not eliminate piracy all together, but we don’t want to make it easy, either. In order to better support and grow our hobby industry, we need a strong retail base. We understand that our fans have a use for PDFs, and we are actively exploring other options for digital distribution. In the mean time, we needed to protect the hobby industry.

In general, companies that sell music and video have been expanding, rather than eliminating, legal ways of selling their content. Why is Wizards going in a direction different from the one that seems to have become conventional wisdom in other media?

We are not going in a different direction – Wizards fundamentally agrees with expansion, and we’re participating in that through our Website and D&D Insider. On the novels side of our business, we have recently released titles through Kindle and Sony’s E-Reader, and will continue to add to that in the coming months. Without citing specific numbers, our content is distributed to hundreds of thousands of people, and our PDF business was small in comparison.

Some are speculating that underperformance of 4E vs. expectations has Wizards of the Coast looking for reasons, and that led to attacking pirates and banning PDFs. Since you don’t report specific line sales, we don’t know whether either perception (performance of 4E or connection to PDF policy) is correct. Can you address these perceptions?

We have done three reprints of the 4th Edition Player’s Handbook, and Player’s Handbook 2 has just gone back to press for a second printing. PH2 debuted at #4 on the Wall Street Journal’s best-sellers list, and #28 on USA Today’s list. By any measure, 4th Edition has been a great success and will continue to attract new players.

Another theory out there is that Wizards plans to sell PDFs itself, and wanted to get the entire margin, rather than sharing it with third party Websites. What’s your response to that theory?

Simply put the theory is incorrect. We don’t plan to sell PDFs at all, and are looking into other options for the digital distribution of our content.

Others think that you’re planning on making access to your digital content by subscription, rather than DTO (download-to-own). Does Wizards plan to make its D&D products available digitally as part of DnDI?

Much of our content is already available on D&D Insider through the Character Builder and Compendium. We are still looking into other options for the digital distribution of the rest of our content.

Last, if Wizards is planning to use another method of making its content available digitally (other than PDFs), why end PDFs before the alternative is ready? Doesn’t that create an environment, at least temporarily, that encourages those that were buying your digital content legally to get pirated material instead?

The scope of the piracy was such that we had to stop our digital distribution all together while we looked for another option. Within hours of its release, Player’s Handbook 2 had been illegally downloaded thousands of times. We can conservatively estimate that for every one book downloaded legally, ten were downloaded illicitly. We were concerned that this activity might start to affect brick and mortar stores, and Wizards couldn’t stand by and let that happen when there are other options for acquiring our products.

So they are doing this all to protect the hobby industry as a whole and brick and mortar businesses. LMAO

To quote Stephen from Braveheart: "Our noble saviors have arrived!"

you do realize that they want to protect the hoby industry and brick an mortar buisnesses becuse it is there own best intrest...

really do you think it is funny or is this just a dig at Wotc for no good reason?

again I am not saying they are selfless here...it is in there best intrest to grow the industry...

technoir

Explorer
Wow. That interview demonstrated to me that Greg Leeds and Wotc in general have no idea what they are doing. There is no indication the piracy effected brick and mortar sales at all. Indeed they could have taken actions to have it encourage sales. Their actions have increased the need for piracy. If you want a digital copy till they come up with their mythical eventual solution, the only way to now do this is to pirate it.

Pointing to the Kindle and Sony Ereader is also not encouraging. These two plat forms are expensive. Are they suggestion they will move to a model where the end user will first have to buy and additional 300 dollar piece of hardware just to read a digital copy? Idiocy.

The subscription model is worse. Ask people who used one of the several subscription model music delivery that have gone down how well that has worked for them. And the subscription model implies the only time I will have access to the digital copies is when I have an internet connection. Not all gaming shops or my buddies house offers free wifi. Does this mean they will dicontinue the PDF's available to DDI users now? After all those could end up on line as well.

Oh well. I am done ranting.

Firos

First Post
So they are doing this all to protect the hobby industry as a whole and brick and mortar businesses. LMAO

To quote Stephen from Braveheart: "Our noble saviors have arrived!"

Even though Leeds implies this, your comment is an absurd straw man argument. WotC has a vested interest in having brick and mortar stores doing well with their products, surely.

Moreover, Leeds only implies this. Would your cynicism apply equally to other game companies? Have you decried this:

Grognard that I can be, I was a little slow in coming to the PDF table. I like the feel of a good book; I love flipping through the pages. Over the last several years, though, I have come to really appreciate the compactness and searchability of PDFs. Now my hard drive is loaded with them and my laptop has become as important as my GM screen.
At paizo.com, most of the roleplaying books we publish are available in both print and PDF editions. We take pride in the high quality of our PDFs and think that they are some of the best in the industry. And we would love to show you how cool they are by allowing you to buy our Pathfinder PDFs for 35% off the regular retail price through the end of April. This offer includes Pathfinder Adventure Path PDFs, Pathfinder Modules PDFs, Pathfinder Chronicles PDFs, Pathfinder Companion PDFs, and Pathfinder Society Scenario PDFs.
Just add the Pathfinder PDFs you would like to buy into your cart, and when you are checking out, type the promotional code PDFLove in the appropriate box. The 35% discount will be applied to your Pathfinder PDFs at that point. You can use this code as many times as you like until the end of April—and feel free to share this code with your friends!

as an obvious bit of capitalization on another company's blunder?

I can accept this, though, and I couldn't be happier to save some money on Paizo products. I can accept it because this is what companies do; Paizo is giving gamers a good deal, even if the implication is "We're the company that really understands gamers, unlike that evil gaming corp on the coast over there." Leeds wants to portray his company as championing brick and mortar stores with this act, and has some reason to believe that it does, even if it serves his company's interest, or he thinks it does.

I do think that people should take this more seriously though:

And now, there is another interview of Greg Leeds on ICv2:

Others think that you’re planning on making access to your digital content by subscription, rather than DTO (download-to-own). Does Wizards plan to make its D&D products available digitally as part of DnDI?

Much of our content is already available on D&D Insider through the Character Builder and Compendium. We are still looking into other options for the digital distribution of the rest of our content.

This is almost an understatement IMNSHO. PHB2 content came out at the month it was published on the character builder in DDi. For the cost of two or three books, I can build characters using rules from all the books, including the online Dragon magazine. I can download the character builder four other times, so me and four friends can take advantage of this, and I can do this at every update. There just isn't any other deal this good.

If you hate 4E, then it is worthless. But it is worth noting - people who want access to new WotC material electronically can do so quite economically. The only drawback, and it seems a significant one still, is the lack of compatibility with other electronic systems.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
again I am not saying they are selfless here...it is in there best intrest to grow the industry...

I think the three schools of thought I have seen in various threads include growing the industry as one way to increase revenue and capturing more of the existing industry as another and a third which includes both as in the best interest of any company in the industry. I think some people see one of the second two options as partially responsible for recent activity, and perhaps activity over the past couple of years, and wonder if that is really in the best interests of the industry as a whole or just the best interest of a single company.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm glad to see this. They asked good questions that dovetailed with ours. I'm not sure I like the specificity of the answers, to be honest, because based on these interviews I don't think WotC leadership understands electronic distribution -- but I'm glad to see the interviews.

I will add that they are really handling the Character Builder and the Compendium correctly. It's a delight to be able to build PH2 characters a week after the book comes out.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I'm not sure, but I think they are looking into other options for the digital distribution of their content.

(How many times can one phrase be repeated - almost verbatim - across multiple interviews?)

César Ayala

First Post
I'm not sure, but I think they are looking into other options for the digital distribution of their content.

(How many times can one phrase be repeated - almost verbatim - across multiple interviews?)

One thing you need to be CEO: Improved cut & paste :D

Anyway, this interview is just more of the same (I didn't expect anything new). I don't like his tone of "We are saving brick and mortar shops, the laugh of the children, and the rainbows". I know he's a CEO and all of them talk like they are saving the world :D but you can also read it as "We worry about piracy and brick and mortar business. Others, doesn't. They keep using the evil PDF format. They want to ruin your hobby. We are heroes."

I know it's CEO speech after all, but I don't like it at all (but I don't like many things :D)

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
I was doing some quick math.

If 9 of 10 PHB2s was downloaded illegally, now that's turned into 10 of 10, right? They just increased piracy by 10%.

Remove ads