D&D 5E I'd like to know the thinking behind this....

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Debatably. ;) It's a good thing if I'm going for that vibe, certainly.

Sure, and I do. My objection in this particular thread was to [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] 's assertion that the 4e tiefling contained pretty much what I liked about the pre-4e tiefling. And while there are certainly overlapping elements, they are quite different critters. Y'know, as different as, say, the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and, well, Elric. :) The 4e tiefling's story is fine, it's just not the story I'm interested in when I play a tiefling. Which means the 5e tiefling (which is the same thing) kind of shares that fate -- not what I want to play when I play a tiefling.

This!

The tiefling already had an established history before 4th edition. What Wizards did was take one of many possibilities and make it the core default. Why they didn't leave the tiefling alone and just have the tainted bloodline be one of many backgrounds for the race I don't know, but it wasn't a good move either way.

pemerton

Legend
I think you are missing the bits about pre-4e tieflings being singular. unique beings cast out from all society, as they had no such of their own.
Sure, but this and the other stuff you mention doesn't mean that using 4e tieflings to explore issue of otherisation, ostracisim, etc is not consistent with the 4e material (which is what KM asserted in the post I replied to).

The 4e PHB, which I quoted, expressly presents tieflings as ostracised outsiders who have no home or society of their own. That presentation does not get in the way of using tieflings to explore ostracisim and being an outsider!

My objection in this particular thread was to pemerton[/MENTION] 's assertion that the 4e tiefling contained pretty much what I liked about the pre-4e tiefling.
I'm not claiming to have read your mind, just your post!

I also think your comments about teifling nobility aren't the only way of approaching the issue: if you want to use teifings to raise issues about class inequaity, you could start with the fall of the Bael Turath nobility as a commentary upon the illusory and usurpatory nature of aristocracy in general. That sort of ironic reading would seem to fit with at least some of the Planescape tone quite well.

Nivenus

First Post
That's not what I was suggesting. By "classic archetype," I'm referring to the archetypes of centuries of fantasy fiction, myth, legend, and faerie stories, not the relatively recent phenomenon of players handbooks. :p

If so it's probably worth noting that "orcs" and "halflings" didn't really exist before Tolkien. Oh sure, short people abound in folklore and the word "orc" ultimately comes from the Roman god of death but specifically mid-sized "burglars" with a predilection for good food and humanoid monsters in the thrall of evil are the invention of ol' J.R.R. Which makes them only a few decades older than tieflings or aasimar.

Elves and dwarves in D&D too are pretty heavily informed by Tolkien's reimagining of them (which to be fair, was partially bringing them back to their pre-Victorian roots). And the idea that "devils" and "demons" are two separate (and mutually antagonistic) species is an entirely new invention of D&D.

So while yes, strictly speaking, tieflings and aasimar might not have a direct parallel in medieval folklore (cambions and demigods aside), neither do most D&D creatures, including a few of the default player races (besides orcs, gnomes were actually an invention of 16th-century alchemists). So that doesn't really strike me as solid ground for an argument.

Henrix

Explorer
That's not what I was suggesting. By "classic archetype," I'm referring to the archetypes of centuries of fantasy fiction, myth, legend, and faerie stories, not the relatively recent phenomenon of players handbooks. :p

I think that tieflings have become a classic since Zeb Cook invented them in -94 for planescape. Until 2008 they were something quite different from the 4e version, and appeared in many places.

Even the half-orc has precedent in Tolkien, if only by implication (IIRC is was a random comment by Sam about some of Sharkey's men having "something orcish" to them).

Actually Saruman breeds half-orcs, whatever that is meant to be. (Mentioned in several of tolkien's books, including LotR. These are probably the same as uruk-hai, but it's not Clear. He calls them both half-orcs and man-orcs.)

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Sure, but this and the other stuff you mention doesn't mean that using 4e tieflings to explore issue of otherisation, ostracisim, etc is not consistent with the 4e material (which is what KM asserted in the post I replied to).

My assertion was more that the 4e material makes it more difficult to tell these stories, which is a subtle but important distinction. I could tell a story about an outcast, otherized, 4e tiefling, but it would not be the same story I'd tell about an outcast, otherized PS tiefling, because not all outcasts and others are created identical. Since it gives a noble and specific history for all tieflings, it changes the tale on some rather important points. One of those important points: 4e tieflings are outcast because of some evil their ancestors did, they earned their status as outcasts by doing something worthy of casting out. PS tieflings are outcast for no good reason, for simply what they are born as.

I'm not claiming to have read your mind, just your post!

Fair 'nuff. :)

I also think your comments about teifling nobility aren't the only way of approaching the issue: if you want to use teifings to raise issues about class inequaity, you could start with the fall of the Bael Turath nobility as a commentary upon the illusory and usurpatory nature of aristocracy in general. That sort of ironic reading would seem to fit with at least some of the Planescape tone quite well.

But then you have a PC tiefling who is not poor because of their unfortunate birth, but is poor because of some sense of cosmic retribution for their ancestor's abuse of wealth.

That is a much different story. It focuses more on the idea that the poor (as represented by the tiefling) are poor because they did something to earn being poor, rather than just being poor because they exist in an unfair multiverse (much as the player does). It implies that the heroic path is to atone for your ancestor's misdeeds and become wealthy again as a restoration of an ancestral state, with a villain represented by your own peoples' historical errors. It doesn't imply that the heroic path is to fight the chains of poverty tooth and nail because the world is capricious and doesn't care about being fair, with a villain represented by the wealthy and powerful in the PC's society who judge the character unfairly. No, the wealthy and powerful who exclude and shun the PC are perfectly reasonable people, because the PC's ancestors deserved punishment. The antagonist is your ancestry, not the current hoi polloi.

The "typical story" is that the beautiful person cursed to be ugly breaks the curse and is beautiful forever after, that the ugly was a sign of some internal ugliness she needed to overcome to break the curse. People react with disgust because they can finally see her inner ugliness.

The story that the PS tiefling tells (that I find much more compelling) is the story of the beautiful person cursed to be ugly who learns that it's not some sin that makes them ugly, but only the eyes of other people -- other people who don't necessarily get to dictate for everyone what is ugly and what is beautiful. Rather than overcoming some character flaw that makes her ugly, she must overcome the flaws of the society around her that decides that beauty is the only thing worthwhile. Rather than struggle against her sinfulness, she struggles with her self-identity, with self-acceptance, with an unfair universe that maybe gets a little more fair by the time she's done with it.

That's not a story you can easily tell with the Turathi tiefling, because the idea that the reason people hate you is a pretty good reason, actually (even if a little extreme) informs the way that you come to be a hero, the enemies you struggle against. It's not the rich and powerful -- it's your own past.

pemerton

Legend
4e tieflings are outcast because of some evil their ancestors did, they earned their status as outcasts by doing something worthy of casting out. PS tieflings are outcast for no good reason, for simply what they are born as.

<snip>

The story that the PS tiefling tells (that I find much more compelling) is the story of the beautiful person cursed to be ugly who learns that it's not some sin that makes them ugly, but only the eyes of other people

<snip>

That's not a story you can easily tell with the Turathi tiefling, because the idea that the reason people hate you is a pretty good reason
Not by way of attempted persuasion, but just by way of conversation - my first thought on reading the quoted bits was that you could use a 4e tiefling to run a pretty solid critique of "original sin" and similar notions if you wanted to.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Not by way of attempted persuasion, but just by way of conversation - my first thought on reading the quoted bits was that you could use a 4e tiefling to run a pretty solid critique of "original sin" and similar notions if you wanted to.

Yeah, they are good for a "Should the sins of the father be atoned for by his sons?" kind of shouldering of a dark legacy.

Which, you know, good story! Not the story I was interested in, but not bad! :)

Remove ads