• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E IDEA: Actually bounded accuracy

ammulder

Explorer
The other factor is that some players seem to pump up the scores and bonuses just as a way to keep score. Or, more generously, to distinguish their character. If everyone topped out at 16 or 18, and therefore everyone HAD a 16 or 18, it wouldn't be very distinguishing.

I guess once you exceed the limits, you could turn to feats instead. But it's not like the game would be improved if every archer hit their score cap and then immediately turned to Crossbow Expert and Sharpshooter.

Hmm.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Since we also don't get that in 5E, I'm interested in ways that can keep the game from becoming schtick-driven as you increase in level; something beyond making everything the PCs encounter immune to their schticks.

You don't think the game radically changes when you hit the different tiers?

We have entirely different play experiences.

Ahrimon

Bourbon and Dice
Thought, would you allow a high level barbarian to get a total of +11 to go along with their 24 (22?) strength? If not, you've pretty much invalidated a class feature of the barbarian.

RCanine

First Post
Thought, would you allow a high level barbarian to get a total of +11 to go along with their 24 (22?) strength? If not, you've pretty much invalidated a class feature of the barbarian.

No, it hasn't invalidated the feature because there are still benefits to high strength beyond attack bonus. I think damage bonus is a pretty big one.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads