• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

idea for a 5 level healer cohort

DarkMaster

First Post
The Figther Dwarf tank IMC is looking to take the Leadership feat at next level. I know she wants to have a healer/protector that will complement her weakness on the battlefield (healing, improving will save, some kind of defense against the fear spell and buffing would be a nice extra) without having the Cleric in the group always spending her time on her.

The obvious choice would be a cleric. But I would like the cleric to be of a non core race. I have been looking all the SRD monster and didn't find anything particularly interesting. I am just wondering if anyone has any idea.

Also don't hesitate to propose other classes from other book. Note that the Shukenja from the CD is not an option ( I banned this class, I find it too powerfull).

wujenta

First Post
Take a Bard, they don´t heal as good as a cleric, but he will make your life a lot more fun. Inspire courage is your friend and in higher levels will be more useful than you think. In our group we had a bard pc (level 18) and his song were one of the things we loved most.

The ability to affect all the party members was great, and if you want to, you could make him warchanter (from complete warrior) and give him some punch. The inspire recklessness song is a great thing for all the power attacking 2-handed users (you could decrease your armor class to gain the same number as a bonus for your melee attacks as a morale bonus) so you can power attack for 10 points and lower your armor by 10 points and have the same attack as before.

Bigwilly

First Post
How much do want to make him suffer?

The bard is a good idea, as he can sing rude songs about the dwarf's bathing habits. But he should be a gnome or a halfling - perhaps a deep gnome, although the ECL could make him a poor caster, not that that's a problem.

Sticking with the high ECL for a minute, an Azer cleric would be a good companion for a dwarf, but a poor cleric (ECL+4).

Alternatively how about a goblin adept. This assumes that not all goblins in your campaign are evil. Of course it won't stop the rest of civilisation trying to kill it. And adepts are not so powerful in the healing stakes. On the monstrous humanoid tack, bugbears only have a +1 ecl so a bugbear cleric would still be 4th level. Don't forget orcs, hobgobs and gnolls either!

Greenskins too evil, then how about greenskin but not so evil - a lizardfolk druid - two companions for the price of one as he comes with his own lizard animal companion!

For a real pain in any dwarf's butt - a LG aasimar cleric (only ECL+1).

For really off the wall, how about a blink dog cleric? Blink dogs only have a +2 ECL and a 13 wisdom.

Bigwilly, NSEDM

Last edited:

DarkMaster

First Post
Thanks, for your suggestion. I taugh about the bard, but she needs to evaluate the bard class to see if it fits her needs. She doesn't have a lot of experience playing D&D.

I also taugh about the Azer but +4 ECL for a 5 level character will only leave 1 level of cleric. She doesn't want someone who can fight on her side (The Barb/Ranger and the Cleric PC are doing the job pretty well). She is looking more for a cohort that will allow her tank to fight longuer, better and that will resist the Will attack more effectively(Healing, buffing and Save buffing).

I was wondering if there was a race somewhere that has these basic quality innate and obviously I would add some cleric (or bard) level to it

DarkMaster

First Post
As for having an NPC class cohort I am against it. The country they are living in is also extremely lawful and Gobelinoid are usually killed on sight by authorities (even half-orc must be careful). Lizard folk or Magical beast could be a possible option. But most of them have an ECL adjustement based on their fighting capabilities and would not be as effective in their role as a human with 5 cleric level.

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/theraven_stephenh/psionic/PsionicRaces.html

is a link to the SRD for the psionic races. A bunch of ECL +0 and +1 races and worth a look if you want something different... No flavour text is included unfortunately.

Could replace the innate psionics some of them have with some more fitting spell like abilities. A rather thoughtful half giant Cleric could make a fun counterpoint to a dwarf?

Arcana unearthed had some funny races - Dog guys, Cat guys, Fey and Giants. I think the PDF version is quite cheap and I liked the book...

Hope any of that helps.

rrealm

First Post
DarkMaster said:
Where can I find the Genasi?

The Forgotten Realm Campaign Setting page 19 & 20. They were written for 3.0. Not sure if anythinig changed or not and whether they are in another book. Races of Farun?

There are four types, each having a level adjustment of +1

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads