• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Idea for a d20M game: Magical Revolution

Sixchan

First Post
I recently thought this in passing. There's been, what, 4 IRs now, right? All have taken place within D&D. So why not do the reverse? Have Earth undergo a Magical Revolution, and run it just like the IRs in reverse. Everyone picks a Nation (probably a superpower, thouhg having tiny third world countries be the only ones with the gift could be fun) and starts blasting stuff. And when the nukes are lauched, blast them out the sky too.
Of course, I couldn't run the game if it were to happen, since I'd fail miserably.

So what does everyone else think?

Serpenteye

First Post
It's a really interesting idea. The problem is that it might be too political for EN-World. Example:

Baalzebul, president for life of Mongolia sends a magi-engineered plague against his arch nemesis Jehova II of the Trans-American confederation.

Emperor Hsub of Iraq decides to invade Canada on the suspicion that Lord Melkor is storing nuclear weapons under the polar ice-cap.

etc
etc

Silly examples, yes. But IRs tend to get silly and someone is bound to be offended eventually. On the other hand, if we constantly have to worry about offending people ooc the game will lack in spontaneity. I'm sure it's possible to pull it off, but it might be difficult.
Sorry, I'm in a bad mood today.

Sixchan

First Post
Well, I would hope that people could be responsible about it.

I would think that certain Nations would be disallowed, such as Iraq, Zimbabwe, Serbia due to sensitivities, or we could just go the route of many alternate histories and set it in the near future that has big single nations like Europa, America (as in all of N.America), an African Alliance, and so on.

Indiviual problems become less obvious, and all you need is a sensible player to play the Middle East (or you could assume that democracy has spread for *ahem*...some reason...

Then again since all the other IRs are on Fictional worlds, we could just have an Alternate history, or even play something 1984-esque.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Sixchan said:

I would think that certain Nations would be disallowed, such as Iraq, Zimbabwe, Serbia due to sensitivities,

Umm current circumstances being what they are I think the USA would have to be added to this list of disallowed countries too - afterall a Dragon being sent to attack an important Commercial Building might offend certain people.

I'd suggest maybe using a fictional world of some sort (try a map of one of the Star Wars planets for instance), assume Yr 2003 Technology and go from their

Sixchan

First Post
Hmm...maybe you're right.

We could even do an Alternate history of Toril, where the Casting of Karsus' Avatar REALLY REALLY killed Mystryl drop dead. So Toril goes on with Technology instead of Magic, and then it re-discovers magic when Mystra shows up VERY late. Bonus: No Elminster! BWHAHAHAHA!

Sixchan

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
1 Major Problem: Finding a moderator, if you haven't been reading the previous IRs, being the moderator can be a very very difficult task...

Yeah, that's why I said I couldn't do it. You need a special type of person for that. An insane one, at the very least.

ivanhoe

First Post
Tonguez said:

Umm current circumstances being what they are I think the USA would have to be added to this list of disallowed countries too - afterall a Dragon being sent to attack an important Commercial Building might offend certain people.

I'd suggest maybe using a fictional world of some sort (try a map of one of the Star Wars planets for instance), assume Yr 2003 Technology and go from their

Disallow the US!?!?! are you crazy, the US would have to play a major role.

Sixchan

First Post
There could be an apocalyptic event worldwide that somehow cripples the US more than other Nations. Like an EM pulse in the US, detenation multiple nuclear weapons in Major Cities. You could even just have a completely Isolationist America that has totally withdrawn from the international community.

But under most circumstances, I personally would allow the US, since here are very few people who would make a point of it. (Most people would hopefully [if I can use that word] send a dragon to destroy New York, not, say, the WTCII specifically).

Remove ads