• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Idea for a dice "bag" - need suggestions

ChimericDream

First Post
So, I was reading a few of my latest "How-To's" on my Google start page, and one was a how-to going through the basic process of making a book safe. It explained a simple process, and by the end, you have the typical hollow book for your shelf.

Well, I was talking with a friend about hollow books, and he realized that if one had an RPG book thick enough, you could use hollow it out and use it to hold your dice. So, I'm wondering if anyone out there knows of some really thick RPG books (hardcover is very preferred) that would work well. Anything that's not thicker than a normal-ish d20 won't work, but I don't want to spend $50-100 on a book like the World's Largest Dungeon or Ptolus in order to have something just for the purpose of shredding the pages.

Any ideas what books are out there that may work? I'd like to find something fairly cheap, and the thicker the better. I don't really care what game or edition it's from, just as long as it is RPG related.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
What about the PHB? And just a thought, as I have never done such a thing, but carboard could be used to seperate multiple dice sets in the book.

Also, would it be possible for you to provide a link to your page here?

SubMensa

First Post
One option could be to use a set of books, all glued together. An older PHB/MM/DMG set or something of the like. Getting a used set on ebay may be the route you want to go. You wouldnt have to worry about he internal pages so much.

Other than that Monte Cook's Arcana Evolved is pretty thick, though at $50 new it may be more than you want to spend on a project.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
A Game of Thrones has a nice thick cover and is large enough to do it.

Arcana Evolved (Monte Cooke) is another impressing RPG Tome.

I think both of those are nearly reaching the lower limit of you "I don't wanna plunk down that much money" range.

If you were to buy them on Amazon.com or BooksAMillion.Com you'd save yourself some money.

Just a thought, though. Why don't you use a dictionary? There are some seiously nicely engraved hardback dictionaries that you can pick up really cheap at book stores and/or garage/book sales. I love the old classic look.

EDIT:

AGoT has 495 pages and goes for $29.96 at BAM using their club price.
AE has 432 pages and goes for $30.98 at BAM using their club price.

Last edited:

IcyCool

First Post
I picked up World's Largest Dungeon for $10 off of my local Hastings bargain shelf. You might want to check out your used bookstores as well.

dogoftheunderworld

Adventurer
Supporter
SubMensa said:
One option could be to use a set of books, all glued together. An older PHB/MM/DMG set or something of the like.

Oooooh, that's an excellent idea [goes off to find his 3.0 core books....] :cool:

On a secondary note, you might try second hand shops for non-gaming books that just look cool/old/mythic. I have a 2" thick book about world mythologies that would make a decent "Dice Book" (TM) ;)

MonkeyDragon

Explorer
Or, find yourself a nice roleplaying book that you want, get another junk book of the same size, then pull off the cover. you can keep the pages from the rpg book without destroying it (and rig another cover thingie to protect the pages), and use the paper from an old dictionary or something to hollow out.

I made a hollow book, once. I didn't do it very well, but by the time I finished covering it in satin and velvet, and painted the pages, it looks pretty spiffy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads