• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Idea for Removing Wordy Spell Descriptions and Monster Stats

howandwhy99

Adventurer
There's been some talk about how spells are no longer quantified and listed statistically for easy reference and quick reading. The flip side of this argument, as I see it, is spells are drained of flavor and uniqueness for the character, and freshness and surprise for the players.

Here's my suggestion on one way to design for both. One where quick, pick-up-and-play rules may be provided,. but which can also be rewritten and customized by more enterprising DMs.
(The following simply outlines the method. It does not provide examples)

A Magic-Spell Matrix
Starts at the bottom and works upwards to a common schema. Here's what electricity does, here's what fire does, sound, light, etc.
Then specific spells are listed for setting & cultural grouping, which the PCs can find as treasure.
Unique spells by PC & Monster are listed detailing basic spell stats & unique portions to that caster. The majority of the spell matrix is left off to its own sheet or sheets. (magical histories, interactions, cultural spell laws, spell schools, etc.

The Monster Matrix
Starts at the bottom and works upwards to a common schema. Here's what a Reptillian is, here's what Giantkin is, Plants, Insects, etc.
Then specific monsters are listed for setting & subrace groupings, which the PCs can face as challenges.
Each individual Race & Monster are listed in an adventure detailing basic monster stats & unique portions to that particular creature. The majority of the Monster Matrix is left off to its own sheet or sheets. (Cultural roots, interelationships, biology, ecology, etc.)

rjdafoe

Explorer
The only thing they really need to do is make the books wordy and DDI condensed. People who like condensed can do what they have been doing with 4E now and only use the compendium as a reference. Those of us that like to read the entire spell description can do so by opening up the book to reference. Thy could also have a reference table in the book much like 4E feats
And them full descriptions after. This is not a hard thing to rectify for both type of players.

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Yes, we just need every spell to have a one-line version of its description, suitable for inclusion on character sheets, in monster stat blocks, and in spell lists by class. The short version should suffice most of the time, but the long version should be available for flavor and to address exceptional cases.

The hard part is designing the spells so that they have meaningful (if not complete) one-line descriptions.

Walking Dad

First Post
Yes, we just need every spell to have a one-line version of its description, suitable for inclusion on character sheets, in monster stat blocks, and in spell lists by class. The short version should suffice most of the time, but the long version should be available for flavor and to address exceptional cases.

The hard part is designing the spells so that they have meaningful (if not complete) one-line descriptions.
This is how I used the 3e spell lists...
but there was a Kingdom of Kalamar 3rd party book that did an amazing job with one line descriptions/rules for 3e spells.

Walking Dad

First Post
I disagree with the idea that all fire spells, or all reptilian monsters, should necessarily have common traits.
And I disagree with you. Fire shall be more than a word, it always burns and behaves roughly the same. If a ball of ice and a ball of fire would have only a different damage type, it would become boring quickly.

And yes, reptiles have common traits. This is why there is the category "reptiles" in the real world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads