• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IDEA: have the party FIGHT THEMSELVES

corcio

First Post
i have this idea for an adventure. im not sure how long it would last. AND it would definitly test the roleplaying ability of the group.
BUT
say a party of good characters head out to retrieve a mighty artifact.
this is game (A) after a session of this
we switch to game (B)
in which the players assume the roles of their evil opposites.
their campaign will consist of hindering killing or just whatever the good versions of themselves...im not sure how a final confrontation would work..if i actually have them rool attacks against their own characters. or not.

but do you htink somethign like this would be doable ...or even FUN?

corcio said:
i have this idea for an adventure. im not sure how long it would last. AND it would definitly test the roleplaying ability of the group.
BUT
say a party of good characters head out to retrieve a mighty artifact.
this is game (A) after a session of this
we switch to game (B)
in which the players assume the roles of their evil opposites.
their campaign will consist of hindering killing or just whatever the good versions of themselves...im not sure how a final confrontation would work..if i actually have them rool attacks against their own characters. or not.

but do you htink somethign like this would be doable ...or even FUN?

They might not like having to take over new characters yet.

You might instead make evil "clones" of them. Once in a campaign I was in, the DM split us into two (and recruited a helper DM for the session). Each half of the group fought the evil clones of the other half.

In one fight, it was melee vs ranged, in a situation to hurt ranged characters; in the other, the situation helped ranged rather than melee. (Spellcasters were treated as ranged.)

Presto2112

Explorer
I've been thinking of devising an adventure where the BBEG was actually an evil adventuring party - not mirror opposites or anything, but an equivalent band of adventurers made up of more savage races. The evil party would be about 80% as potent as the PC party. For example, if a party were made up of a Dwarf Fighter, a Human Cleric, a Human Paladin, a Gnome Wizard, and a Halfling Scout, I'd have a Duergar Ranger, a Tiefling Favored Soul, a Half-orc Blackguard, a Kobold Sorcerer, and a Goblin Rogue, all at around 80% equivalent potency of the main party.

Psion

Adventurer
I once ran a plot where the PCs went through a mirror plane (as described in manual of the planes.) They had to face their opposites, though their opposites weren't coordinated and appeared in random spots. I thought this would make the situation survivable by the party.

Nonetheless, the prismatic spray by the anti-sorcerer MESSED THE PARTY UP.

Last edited:

Darth Shoju

First Post
Psion said:
I once ran a plot where the PCs went through a mirror plane (as described in manual of the planes.) They had to face their opposites, though their opposites weren't coordinated and appeared in random spots. I thought this would make the situation survivable by the party.

Nonetheless, the prismatic spray by the anti-socerer MESSED THE PARTY UP.

Our DM has incorporated this into his campaign. We traveled through a mirror realm and attracted the attention of the Nera. We barely escaped them but they created a party based on our mirror opposites and tasked them with destroying the artifacts that allowed access to the mirror realm (Mirrors of Celestian). We didn't find out until months later when we were hearing rumours of people very similar (yet opposite...natch) to us commiting heinous acts. They weren't necessarily all evil, just opposite of our alignments and personalities. Also, in the time it took us to find out about them, several of our party members had died and new characters were brought in, so when we finally did fight them we didn't necessarily have a direct counter to each of them (it ended in a stalemate). It's been a very enjoyable storyline so far.

Oh also the mirror opposites infiltratd our party by replacing our gnomish wizard with his dupe. Since he was neutral in alignment we didn't notice a significant difference in his personality for quite some time.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads