• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Idea.

xigbar

Explorer
I've always understood the "5 foot rule does not provoke A.o_O.'s" because anyone can take a step backward with no trouble, but to intentionally go further requires someone to turn their back on the opponent in order to move away.

If one could step backward 10', 15', etc, without needing to turn one's head to see where one is going, then all good. Figure out the mechanic to make this happen so someone won't trip over unseen tree roots, uneven tiles, etc and you're groovy.

Short of unusual terrain, there are no rules for tripping on loose roots. In which case, I don't see the problem. In unusual terrain everyone trips anyway.

Visigani

Banned
Banned
If you want to fix fighters/rogues/etc the conversation must begin with how we allow them to break or at the very least seriously tamper with the action ecomomy.

xigbar

Explorer
If you want to fix fighters/rogues/etc the conversation must begin with how we allow them to break or at the very least seriously tamper with the action ecomomy.

A very flawed concept. As much as I enjoy the many facets of optimizations, I'm of the opinion that it's the big casters that need "fixing." Taking melee up one step is just a small part. But lets focus on one just that one step, and avoid a fighter vs. wizard thread.

Tomn

First Post
A good way to make this work is to make a house rule saying that the movement for a "5 foot step" is 1/4 of your land speed rounded down. This keeps both small and medium creatures with a usual 5-ft movement, and gives a 10 foot step to creatures with a speed of 40 - creatures including medium-sized beings with fast movement. Of course, this also means that creatures with 60 ft movement will be able to take 15 foot steps, but I think that could work out.

xigbar

Explorer
A good way to make this work is to make a house rule saying that the movement for a "5 foot step" is 1/4 of your land speed rounded down. This keeps both small and medium creatures with a usual 5-ft movement, and gives a 10 foot step to creatures with a speed of 40 - creatures including medium-sized beings with fast movement. Of course, this also means that creatures with 60 ft movement will be able to take 15 foot steps, but I think that could work out.

With a clause specifying that only non-magical movement is affected, I think this works nicely.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
How about everyone gets to work with a Sparring Dummy of the Master?

With boosts to their UMD to Emulate a class feature, in this case, Being a Monk, which can be accomplished with a UMD of 21?

....it's only 4 uninterrupted weeks of your life....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads