• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideal Party Make-up.

dagger

Adventurer
Fighter

Red Wizard

Black Wizard

White Wizard

never fails......

Red Wizard

Red Wizard

White Wizard

Black Wizard

works also...

Chun-tzu

First Post
My ideal party is me, the right girl, and four people who go away :D

But as for D&D parties, the most munchkinesque (munchiest?) party will be strong in magic. The pure arcane spellcaster and pure cleric are givens, and so important that you may as well take 2 of each. Two wizards can complement each other very nicely; for example, one might specialize in the flashy combat spells while the other specializes in subtler magicks (two archmagi sharing spellbooks... scary). Two clerics are good because you can never get enough supportive magic (healing, buffing, etc.).

A high-level psychic warrior will make a better frontline melee guy than a fighter, because his high-level psionics will be worth far more than the fighter's extra damage. Bladesinger is also a good choice for the main ass-kicker (excellent combatant with some nice spells).

The last spot, specializing in stealth and social skills, is reserved for the rogue or bard, but again, one with strong magic. Arcane tricksters and heralds gain considerable magic without losing a great deal in skills or sneak attack damage.

So this party might look like:

Dwarf Evoker
Elf Illusionist
Human Cleric of Kelemvor (the Doomguide PrC is total munchkin-bait)
Dwarf Cleric of Clangeddin Silverbeard
Human Psychic Warrior
Halfling Rogue/Wizard/Arcane Trickster

Moe Ronalds

First Post
1 player who always brings the pizza
1 player who always brings enough Mountain Dew
1 player who brings chips (but not the crappy cheap kind!)
1 player who has a house where we can play, and has the PS2 prestige class
1 player who will constantly fan me
1 female player with 18 charisma.

Oogar

First Post
Moe Ronalds said:
1 player who always brings the pizza
1 player who always brings enough Mountain Dew
1 player who brings chips (but not the crappy cheap kind!)
1 player who has a house where we can play, and has the PS2 prestige class
1 player who will constantly fan me
1 female player with 18 charisma.

Ack, I'd take a Female player with a 13, maybe a 15. An 18 and I couldn't even present the pleasant fiction that I was fair to all my players. ;)

Dark Jezter

First Post
Ahh, the eternal question: "What is the perfect party makeup?" If you ask this question to ten different expirienced D&D players, you'll get ten different answers. The perfect party depends greatly on what kind of situations you'll be facing. If you're going up against lots of undead creatures, paladins and clerics will be necessary. Certain monsters almost require spellcasters to bring down, while magic resistant (or immune) monsters like golems require fighters to take on.

But, if I had to make a 6-person party, I would do this...

Half-orc barbarian to act as the meat shield and also deal lots of physical damage.
Dwarf fighter to also act as meat shield and melee fighter.
Elf Rogue to spot and disarm traps, pick locks, and scout. If charisma is high enough, he'll also serve as the party's speaker.
Human sorcerer/fighter armed with longbow to provide support fire and occasional spells.
Human cleric for healing, turn undead, and other cleric duties.
Gnome Wizard to cast arcane spells spells.

I know this party might seem cliche, but it's balanced, and the players are unlikely to run into a situation they can't handle.

Numion

First Post
2 x Dwarven Cleric of Haela Brightaxe. These are the front-line fighters. Secondary duty as healers, mostly with wands though.

2 x Elven archers. Fighters with a couple of levels of rogue, and then Order of the Bow PrC.

1 x Blaster sorcerer. Maybe halfling, with focus on evocation. Archmage PrC, when possible.

1 x Transmuter. Halfling is a good choice. Focus on transmutation and maybe necromancy.

Oni

First Post
Hurm, I guess take a stab at this.

1. Dwarven Fighter (Every party needs a good fighter, Dwarven fighters are as good as they come. The only problem is his mobility, however with the help of the wizard that can be overcome)
2. Dwarven Wizard (The groups problem solver, full of utility magic, and a maker of magic items of all types and sizes)
3. Elven Rogue (City rogue/dungeon rogue, best at finding secret passages and spotting hidden traps and other dangers)
4. Elven Sorcerer (artillery platform of the group, as well as the very good archer using greater magic weapon on both bow and arrows)
5. Human Cleric (group healer and a combatant, can use his spells to greater effeciency by creating healing potions and wands ahead of time)
6. Human Ranger/Rogue (Wilderness rogue/combat rogue a great tracker and overland scout and survival expert who not only knows how to fight, but can work in tandem with the other rogue to be absolutely devastating)

Either of the elves, or the cleric could make a good group face depending on the situation and skill selection.

Last edited:

LordAO

First Post
Sorcerer - Artillery!!!
Wizard - Strategy and Utility (not to mention those magnificent mansions) Party support.
Cleric- Healing!!! Turning!!! (heck they even make good tanks) Trap-finding and party support.
Druid - animals and those most hideous and cruel spells in the game (can you say miasma?). Back up healer and extra artillery.
Psion - For all their unique powers and flexibility, and some artillery
Bard - cheer everyone up and enchantment/sonic spells. Back-up healer. The Face. Back-up for anything.

You may notice there isn't a single non-magical class (unles you count psions as nonmagical, but that's a seperate issue). Why? The cleric and druid can get by just fine in the front lines, and with spell buffs and the right feats can be just as good, if not better than fighters. Sorcerers provide all the magical firepower you should ever need (if not, god help us, what ARE you fighting?) Wizards have some firepower of their own, but are mostly useful for all of those cool strategic spells. And with a Sorcerer in the same group, he doesn't need to worry about preparing them! Druids and Psions provide many useful and unique spells and abilities. Bards have great skills, and some unique spells of their own. They are also a back-up healer, if necesary. The bard's use magic device also allows him to fill in if another character fails. Also, this combination of characters can pool their talents to make any non-artifact item they will ever want, and allows devastating combinations of spells and powers.

Last edited:

Remove ads