• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideas for a new character

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
Finnaly got some free time to plan my next character. I'm currently out of ideas for a new character. I have a half-fiend seeking revenge against the lord of the underworld. A vegeta/Hiei kind of character as far as personality is concerned. What would be a good class for it?

I have several ideas and combinations on my mind. We should be starting at lvl 11, since for now this character will be used only if my main one dies.

Before I get any deeper into this, what do you think would be cool combinations? we have several books, so don't worry about which classes I currently have available to chose from.

I'd like to hear some suggestions from more experienced players and DMs first

Danyael

First Post
I'd say that you should state WHY is your character seeking revenge against the lord, since it would give much more depth than anything else. Was your character his/her slave (good options: barbarian, maybe psion due to "overwhelming" experience), target of his/her wrath (and you escaped: rogue, assassin, etc.) I usually ask my players to elaborate their PC's background as much as possible, the minimum being usually two pages. Your call.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
What you want to do with the character depends a lot on what you want them to do? Is this charadcter the half-fiend, or is that a previous character? I would say that a warlock or a cleric of a deity of vengenence would work well. A barbarian or a psychic warrior would be good too.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
in my campaigns the underworld royalty works like this: There is a main-branch family who takes over the throne, there is a second-branch that works as the right-hand men for the main-branch, and can only have access to the throne, if the current lord has no heirs.
my half-fiend was the next to the throne of the underworld. only a handful of fiends and demons were actually loyal to him, due to his human heritage. The head of the second-branch didn't like the idea of having human blood on the throne, and took the matter into his own hands, beating my half-fiend into an inch of his life and banning him from the underworld.

Now Okinage seeks revenge on the demon that took his rightful place on the throne

about the cleric, it could be a possibility, the psionic nope. none of us really like the psionic class :p

I was thinking of something with good melee and maybe a couple of special abilities to help

Last edited:

Danyael

First Post
Shazman said:
What you want to do with the character depends a lot on what you want them to do?

Of course. That is if you are not just sitting and creating your character because you are going to play. I mean, it would take considerable time to get attached to your character if you just create him/her according to the rulebook. As a DM, I love it when players know their character (not just their stats) and roleplay them. So actually, IMO, you should set the character's background before you create it. It helps a lot to have a vision of what your character was, is and wants to be. That's just me and my crew though.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
as I said, something with good melee (maybe a few points on the fighter) and some abilities to help him on his melee, and or some spells to give him a bit of ranged power

What usually happens to me is that I end up getting attached to the roleplay part of the character, but when I try to recreate his/her class, things become a bit tougher :heh:

Danyael

First Post
Well, SS proves the point of having the background. But if you don't like the psion classes that's fine (any how, the Expanded Psionic Handbook was a shot on the foot). But I'm not speaking of what's good on terms of classes; it's all about the PC's story. I mean, living as a slave in hell makes good ol' spanish slavery a paradise, no? (Is trauma = psionic abilities? Look at githyanki lore and you'll see why they are naturally psions... and ugly).

Danyael

First Post
SorvahrSpahr said:
What usually happens to me is that I end up getting attached to the roleplay part of the character, but when I try to recreate his/her class, things become a bit tougher :heh:

This is a problem with systems that use a class structure. But there are similarities (read the Alignment area for any class; that should give you a clue) that could help.

Danyael

First Post
GoodKingJayIII said:
Clearly there's only one class option for you: paladin.

For a half-fiend?? Why not!? Check on the Unearthed Arcana Paladin variants. Just make sure the battle ahead has to do with deities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads