• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Ideas for a Social Combat system in 4E

beepeearr

First Post
Looking at the numbers behind 4E recently gave me an Idea. Generally I run a very intrigue heavy campaign (well at least compared to the default D&D assumption), some aspects such as the Skill Challenge and default skill bonuses for everyone will make this even easier in 4E, but the characters will not have as many options outside of combat as they do in it, and that doesn't seem fair to the players who want to play this or even the Original posters style of play.

I really like the combat system in 4E, I don't want to find a different game, I'd prefer to build on what appears to be a very good foundation.

So my Idea, I think the default combat system would make an excellent foundation to build a "parley" system (for lack of a better term) for characters who want to talk their way through encounters.

Characters and NPC's could get Resolve Points based on class and modified by Wisdom (Much like Hit Points and Con), when reduced to half their current RP's they are considered wavering (ie bloodied), allow healing through confidence surges (healing surges).

The default attacks in this system could be Logic, an Intelligence based "ranged" attack, that provoke an Opportunity Attack, and Passion the Charisma based melee attack.

Movement and Range, and other things like Burst and Blast basically get redefined for Parley. A character (PC or NPC) can choose their beginning position. Basically how opposed to the argument they are, generally this a scale between -10 to 0 to +10, and generally starts at 0, except for certain instances. This is a number you subtract (or add if you have moved them to your side of the 0) to the Damage roll of your opponents passion attacks or add (or subtract if the opponent has moved to their side) any inspiring (healing) rolls from your allies, basic Logic attacks ignore position (and area affects reduce it based on range).

You can shift 1 spot as a move action, but doing so provokes an opportunity attack (unless done with a power), in addition you can slide an opponent 1 spot if you score a critical, or if you made the roll as a difficult challenge, if you make the roll as an easy challenge you shift 1 spot (drawing the opportunity attack). All powers that push, pull, or slide slide in Parley.

If you make an attack from the same side of the 0 that your opponent is on you gain combat advantage. You also gain combat advantage if your opponent is wavering or has slided or shifted towards your side of the 0 (even if you are currently on his side).

For the most part Powers function the same way as they do in regular combat encounters (obviously flavor is different), although the ability scores they function off of will need to be changed in most instances. If it is a melee attack in normal combat and attacks with Str and does Str damage it uses Cha instead, Ranged Dex attacks use Int instead.

The Rogue is a special case I'd allow it to choose either Int or Cha for it's Dex based melee powers.

Any Con powers use Wis. In special circumstances (ie if it makes sense) you could keep the Physical ability score, in much the same way some physical attacks use Int/Cha/Wis

Social Defenses: AC is Int and or a bonus based on armor proficiency, Fort is Wisdom or Cha based, Reflex is Int, and Will is whichever one of Wis or Cha you didn't choose for Fort.

Social Weapon Damage die from your weapon will be based on Weapon proficiency.

This way characters fill the same role in and out of regular Combat, and even use similar tactics in both cases.

Obviously there will be some wonkiness (especially with the warlock and Wizard), and I would love to eventually have classes get Parlay powers, but I think this is a good starting point for a Social Combat system.

WyzardWhately

First Post
That's going to be pretty rough for people who want to play characters not based on Int or Cha. Well, perhaps that simply reinforces what you want to do with the game, so it may be a feature rather than a bug. That said, you might want to make WIS-based buffs and debuffs or something, equivalent to using Insight in social challenges.

beepeearr

First Post
What I'm wanting to do is merge elements of the challenge system (it's core, but come up with a different success/failure mechanic) with the wide array of class options for the combat system to add just as much detail to non-combat as combat encounters.

Plus I'm thinking about having the powers key off a skill chosen by the player from a list determined from the ability used to make attacks, and defended by a skill "defense" (which is a passive check with the appropriate defense bonus added in).

Example:A fighter is trying to talk his way past 2 guards, he decides he wants to use cleave, cleave is normally Str vs AC. When he first choose this power he got to choose what Cha skill it will use to attack in Social combat, and which two Int skills can be used to defend against it (Which I admit is currently a problem, since there are only two, see errata, and they are both knowledges, towards the end of 3E I had really condensed the skill list and had moved towards more open ended skills, for instance I had an Examine skill which covered appraise and search checks, to more abstract things like finding the book you needed in a library, using the investigation feat from eberron, or even figuring out an NPC's profession, and another Intelligence based skill I used was Ingenuity, this covered disable device, open locks, and forgery, but also covered really any kind of improvised actions, or macgyver moments, both would work really well for this kind of system, so for now I'll pretend I already houseruled them in, I'm still running it RAW though).

The fighters rolls his Intimidate (maybe he's trying to bully his way in, or give off an aura of importance) vs the opponents Ingenuity (the guard tries to quickly think of a reason he can't let him in) or Examine (the guard could be giving him the once over trying to determine if he really is important) + any bonus to AC defense he gets.

We will say he succeeds so he does 1[W] plus charisma damage to one, marking him, and charisma mod to the other.

It's still a work in progress, I just came up with the idea today, and thought it could be useful to this thread.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=231478&page=2&pp=15

But I'm really liking the idea of social encounters being just as dynamic as combat encounters. Currently the skill system, although I like most of the rules behind skill challenges, is my chief complaint of 4E.

If you are going to put skills in, but give them such a generic math model to use, at least make them broader (athletics and acrobatics are great examples) and use them more. A trained skill check vs trained skill check is the same probability as an untrained skill check vs an untrained skill check, or an ability check vs ability check due to 4E's math, so why not use the skill system to illustrate this instead of raw ability rolls. It would add an opportunity for just a little more variation to the system, untrained vs trained, and the ability to allow a stunt type system using skill challenges.

Remove ads