D&D (2024) Ideas for Advanced Masteries that "cost" multiple attacks

So I think Masteries can of course be expanded on, but one thought I had was for advanced mastery maneuvers that instead of being part of an attack, actually require one to use multiple attacks to implement. Most of them will of course require "spending" 2 attacks, which puts them in range of something that 5th level characters can do, and open the door for Fighters (and possibly Monks) being better at some of those things because they can "spend" 3 attacks for something out of reach of other classes.

As for what they might be, could be things like Whirlwind Attack (either attack all adjacent or all adjacent makes a dex save to avoid damage) or being able to harpoon someone and pull them or yourself closer.

mellored

Legend
I was thinking of doing this for great weapon master and sharp shooter. To keep the feeling of one big attack.

I.e. make 1 attack instead of 2. Deal double damage if you hit.

Works better with "on next attack" buffs as well. Like bards inspiring word.

Last edited:

So I think Masteries can of course be expanded on, but one thought I had was for advanced mastery maneuvers that instead of being part of an attack, actually require one to use multiple attacks to implement. Most of them will of course require "spending" 2 attacks, which puts them in range of something that 5th level characters can do, and open the door for Fighters (and possibly Monks) being better at some of those things because they can "spend" 3 attacks for something out of reach of other classes.

As for what they might be, could be things like Whirlwind Attack (either attack all adjacent or all adjacent makes a dex save to avoid damage) or being able to harpoon someone and pull them or yourself closer.
I think a great way to handle it mechanically is to just create the special attack as an Action. If it is its own action, you don't get the Extra Attacks of the Attack Action.

If you want it to be more powerful, you can have it scale based on the number of Extra Attacks your character has.

Whirlwind Attack: 1 Action; Make one attack against each enemy you can see within 5 feet of you. If you are using a reach weapon and no enemy is within 5 feet of you, you can instead target each enemy you can see that is within 10 feet of you.

Nock 'Em Dead: 1 Action; Using a longbow or shortbow, make a ranged weapon attack against an enemy you can see within short range. You have advantage on that attack. If you have the Extra Attack, Two Extra Attacks, or Three Extra Attacks abilities, you can nock an extra arrow for each Extra Attack you could make, if you have the ammunition available. If you hit with your attack, it is a critical hit, and you roll critical damage for each arrow separately, then total the damage as one strike.

I like declaring it as just an action

Demolisher - action - using mauls (sledgehammers), picks and axes is an automatic critical
against inanimate objects. Each extra attack you have adds 2x damage (i.e. 2 attacks =4x damage, 3 attacks =6x, 4 attacks 8x). (Yes, it's a high multiplier but not a direct combat feature)

Launch - action - thrown weapons increase range (2 attacks 2x short range, 3 attacks 3x range, 4x attacks = 4x short range). Long range is increased by same distance as short range (I.e. 20/60 @ 3 attacks -> 60/100) (useful for rogues who don't get sneak attack with disadvantage or just need to hit that fleeing foe)

this sounds like a great idea... maybe add in something like "Knock out" roll xd6 if it is over the total current hp the creature falls unconscious

Mountain Hammer- if you have more then 1 attack you can give up extra attacks to add 2d6 per attack given up, either way this attack ignore resist and immunity to your attack

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I was thinking of doing this for great weapon master and sharp shooter. To keep the feeling of one big attack.

This is exactly how Power Attack works in PF2

HammerMan

Legend

That’s cool. Have you ever played the 90s d6 west end games DCU superhero game?

The base game gave you extra attacks with speed and hit Hardee’s with strength but when they got to the metropolis source book they realized no one would have Superman (or boy or girl or doomsday or lobo ect) make 1 attack they would both not fit the feel of them but also slow the game. So they invented power punch.

Power punch was NOT a full double per action used up action but in the system there was a floor or threshold you needed to hit before you hurt in invulnerability creatures. So we would make power houses with 3 4 or even 6-10 attacks then calculate what power punch 1 hit or 2 hits or half hits were and do that based on how “tough” the enemy was.

Martials need more attacks per round not less.

1. More attacks reduce swingness of DPR. 5 attacks for X damage is better than 1 attack for 5X damage.
2. Less overkill lost damage
3. Easier do deal with hordes without additional special attack rules(cleave, AoE archery)
imagine if fighters could take a bonus action to get an extra attack but that attack only delt the weapon damage (and later the magic +) and everytime they got an extra attack (5 11 17) they could make that extra attack with the bonus too...

so 2 attacks normally 1 at 1w+stat and 1 at 1w but at 5th it's 2 at 1w+stat and 2 at 1w ect...

Remove ads