• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideas for Banewarrens-based Urban Conspiracy Campaign

Tristissima

Explorer
Salvete omnis! I just recently bought the Banewarrens by Monte Cook, published by Malhavoc Press, and it has awakened a desire to run an urban-based campaign with lots of conspiratorial sneaking around and such things. I would tend toward something of a grim and gritty feel in this kind of game, but it's more like gold that's really dirty. Scrape off some of the grit and grime and a new glorious sun shines on your face. I also tend to like mythic things. But I'm getting off topic :)

What I wanna know is if anyone has any ideas for such a game beyond the levels covered by the Banewarrens (6-10), especially ideas for modules I can include (I'm also pretty lazy :) ). Modules which have a lot of conspiracy and whatnot would be helpful, but even better would be modules into which I could work one or more of the organizations in the Banewarrens pretty easily, even if the players never really know until much later. Any help is much appreciated, even just general tips for such a game. Thank you all muchly for reading this, responding, and helping me!!!!!!!!!!!!

arwink

Clockwork Golem
I don't know about any modules specifically, but an easy way to get the effect of layered conspiracy can be to take two or three urban based adventures, twist them together slightly so they're linked, then run them simultaneously.

Another good point is to track down a thread on political adventures from a few weeks ago. The advice for creating mutliple power centres and how they're working together and against one another covers a lot of the background. Once that's done, you merely have to evaluate every adventure you run to see what kind of interest and influence it'll have on the local power structure.

Maldur

First Post
Depends on what world you want to base it.

Some spoilers ahead!

I myself use FR. Placed the banewarrens in Baldurs Gate (reversed the spire down into the underdark).

Have a web of conflicts/conspiracies etc with the following ingredients:

The banewarrens itself.
The Prothian(or Ptolian.....) church is a church based on a saint of Lathander the morning lord.
Lathander is dying (requiem for a God) by the workings of Bane.
Cyric is doing some kinda ritual in town (several chtulhu like cult running about).
The Quaan, are bringing in the big guns as their plans are twarted on all sides.
The vladaam rule a large crimenetwork But are curently on a revenge track.
The cormyr secret service has people in town.
Harpers are always meddling in other peoples affairs.
The inverted pyramid (Halruaa outcasts) and the normal pyramid(Halruaa inteligence).
The company of the lantern (a former adventuring company , now fighting against crime and evil) are back in town.
Baldurs Gate spies have detected a large amount of covert activity in town so are on full alert.
lantan and Evermeet spies are looking at the activities in town (due to character backgrounds)

In total there are 12 orginizations the characters know of in town (2 friendly, 4 neutral and 6 unfriendly) and 4-6 more unknown to the characters (of which I only have 2 worked out :D)

I only use a few modules: Banewarrens, requiem for a god (both Malhavoc), The evil orginization book for the FR (cant remember the name, WOTC), the assasins manifesto(Ambient), some old chtulhu notes (and D20 chtulhu).

Arwink sugest exactly what Im doing , use several modules and mix them together. Try figuring out what the diferent orginizations are planning, and how they would react to one another. Thats better than making a rigid order of events, as you can adapt easier to the meddling of the party.

Last edited:

Tristissima

Explorer
Thank you! The other thing I'm interested in is the kind-of parallels that can be drawn between the background of the Banewarrens and that of Rokugan (well, there's at least enough parallelism between them to spur ideas!) Does anyone have any thoughts on those sorts of connections, or where that kind of thing could lead me, or how I might blend the two (with a lot of playing and artistic license) into a fun and cohesive whole, or anything like that???

And, of course, more ideas on the urban intrigue-laden conspiratorial, kinda grim and gritty, stuff will help too!

Thanks again!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads