• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ideas for building a dragon killing druid (needed for backstory)

Darklone

CR 11 dragon? Which size? I guess smaller than Huge. Easy.

Monk1/Druid9. Wildshape into giant octopus, cast Barkskin, Greater Magic Fang and Animal Growth on yourself, get some grappling feats and cast the respective Resist Energy spells. Start with some summoned monsters (in emergency cases, a scroll of summon natures ally 6 should be enough for another giant octopus).

Most CR 11 dragons don't have spells to counter all that stuff and will have problems to hit your AC which should be easily above 30.

morbiczer

First Post
Take some feats from the Draconomicon. There are some which are very powerful against dragons, although not really useful against other creatures. This book might have also some spells the druid could have used.

Diirk

First Post
Maybe the dragon just rolled really, really badly on his baleful polymorph saving throw ;)

With a 12d4 breath weapon, the average damage is 30... a CL12 resist energy will absorb that even on a failed save, so breath weapon damage would be minimal with a scroll or 2 of that.

Maybe stoneskin, some summons etc

oliverhenshaw

First Post
Thanks. There's a good few interesting and encouraging ideas to take away and digest.

Tonight I'll look for magic items that will help with the mobility game, particularly those that will discourage any attempts to take to the air.

According to the RSRD, Adult Black Dragon *is* CR11. Or am I missing something?

Darklone

Duh, you're right, I read the HD stuff...

Hmm. Adult. Large size, AC 27 and +29 to grapple. Awww well.

Still, I guess wildshaping to an enlarged giant octopus will allow you to grapple him, 8 attacks (with strength 32) should be enough to pin him and hurt him plenty thanks to constrict (Assuming you had a bard friend with you helps a lot...). His biggest chance is to simply rip you apart.

Last edited:

Crosshair

First Post
Magic up a weasal, or two, get them to latch onto the back legs of the dragon, taking 1d4 con damage 2nd round and on.(If I remember correctly). Even if he flys away, he's sucking con and he's gonna fall from the sky. I'm not saying it's easy to have a weasal of all things hit a Dragon...Great magic fang maybe? get a 2 and a 3 on d4 he's down in 4-6 rounds, if you get the drop on him, casuing him to BW something, like a Rhino, theres only the possibility for one more Breath weapon.

My 1/6 bit

Storyteller01

First Post
Does anyone know what the intelligence of an Adult Black Dragon is?

You could say that the dragon is still alive. You and the dragon have cut a deal of sorts. Since swamps are a part of nature (they can act as a home for a variety of useful animals and bacterias) it's not unthinkable to let the dragon have free rein over an area in exchange for something else (like making sure other humans and such stay away).

Last edited:

Remove ads