Ideas for versatile condition markers

keterys

First Post

And that right there was my word for the day. It's very interesting for me to see the raw variety of ways people deal with this problem. I've used or been at tables with people using the pipecleaners, bottlecap rings (soda, etc, come in different colors - probably free), aleatools (there are some new shiny clear ones!), colored stones (I had one of those packs cheapass sold), and I was at a table using Glowing Glyph's during the con (they seemed pretty solid and a good design space).

And honestly they all work. A lot depends on how good your group is at noticing and remembering things, and how hard they want to work at it. I know one guy who is a managing FIEND at alea tools, and I'd use them every time at one of his tables, whereas another guy constantly forgets and it drives me nuts. I'll often just toss beads to show my mark for the DM's sake, and otherwise memorize everything on everybody and just let folks know... cause it's easier for me to do that than it is to fumble with the minis at some tables (mostly a seating/arm length kinda thing)

I've been meaning to pick up some of the fiery dragon counters, though. I used to use them all through 3.0, then started collecting minis. Hmmhmm.

Klaus

First Post
And that right there was my word for the day. It's very interesting for me to see the raw variety of ways people deal with this problem. I've used or been at tables with people using the pipecleaners, bottlecap rings (soda, etc, come in different colors - probably free), aleatools (there are some new shiny clear ones!), colored stones (I had one of those packs cheapass sold), and I was at a table using Glowing Glyph's during the con (they seemed pretty solid and a good design space).

And honestly they all work. A lot depends on how good your group is at noticing and remembering things, and how hard they want to work at it. I know one guy who is a managing FIEND at alea tools, and I'd use them every time at one of his tables, whereas another guy constantly forgets and it drives me nuts. I'll often just toss beads to show my mark for the DM's sake, and otherwise memorize everything on everybody and just let folks know... cause it's easier for me to do that than it is to fumble with the minis at some tables (mostly a seating/arm length kinda thing)

I've been meaning to pick up some of the fiery dragon counters, though. I used to use them all through 3.0, then started collecting minis. Hmmhmm.
Since even WotC is making a move for counters/tokens, the FDP counters are a perfect complement (just like the dungeon dressing counters in the BattleBox are perfect for Dungeon Tiles). :D

And you're right, the most important thing is not what you use, but how you use it. As long as you're comfortable with it, any tool will do.

Thraug

First Post
For those using Alea magnets, here is a color-to-condition mapping page I created. You may have to twiddle with your printer settings to match the Alea tokens. Every printer is different.

EDIT: If you're getting '?' symbols in black diamond shapes where punctuation marks should be, download the html and load it locally in a browser. That should correct it.

Last edited:

The Halfling

Explorer
Thraug, is there any way you can do this as a pdf. I've tried using cutePDF but the formatting (i.e. color) disappears. Tried physically printing it too, same issue.

masshysteria

Explorer
I've been using Post-It Note flags. They come in a variety of colors, are cheap and easily replicable, and can be written on.

It makes them good condition markers because you can write "Stun!" on them and add little notes like "SE" for save ends. They stick to pretty much everything and can be removed just as easily.

For different marks, curses, etc. player can choose a different color and even write their player's name on them.

Vendark

First Post
My group uses the colored plastic rings that detach from the cap when you open a soda bottle. They come in a wide variety of colors, they fit nicely around most minis, and we accumulate quite a few just from our normal purchasing habits.

Remove ads