• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideas for victorian campaign needed.

Abdomens

First Post
(My first thread, so be gent.. whatever)

I’m planning to run a campaign set in late 19. century. The setting will be much like the graphic novel, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It will be the Victorian Age, but with a twist, i.e. air-pirates, submarines, Dracula, Jekyll/Hyde, etc.
The PC will be hired by the British Government, sent out to investigate strange happenings in the British Empire.
I think that we’ll be using the D20 Modern rules for most. Of course barring the too modern equipment and maybe some of the skills (Computer Use, Drive, Pilot).

Right now I’m searching for ideas or if anybody has seen a D20 product that could be useful… :)

Turanil

First Post
WotC will release "d20 Past" in the middle of 2005. This supplement is for using d20 Modern in precedent centuries. I guess it wouldbe useful for your campaign.

Abdomens

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
Here's a links section I threw together for the section of my site that would be devoted to my Victorian campaign. I'm in the process of putting the site together, but here's a peek. Visual aids (i.e. old pictures to show off) help a lot, I think. I get enjoyment out of using them.
Thanks a lot for the links, A.D. Gable. :)
I think, it will really help me create the right mood.

Last edited:

ragboy

Explorer
Abdomens said:
(My first thread, so be gent.. whatever)

I’m planning to run a campaign set in late 19. century. The setting will be much like the graphic novel, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It will be the Victorian Age, but with a twist, i.e. air-pirates, submarines, Dracula, Jekyll/Hyde, etc.
The PC will be hired by the British Government, sent out to investigate strange happenings in the British Empire.
I think that we’ll be using the D20 Modern rules for most. Of course barring the too modern equipment and maybe some of the skills (Computer Use, Drive, Pilot).

Right now I’m searching for ideas or if anybody has seen a D20 product that could be useful… :)
Crud. I thought I posted last night, but I guess I was hallucinating...

One of the best inspirations, game-wise, that I used for my Victorian fantasy/future campaign was a game called Forgotten Futures. It's free and available here:

http://www.forgottenfutures.com/

The game rules are pretty simple, but the richness of the campaign materials will blow you away. Each 'campaign book' is derived from scientific romances of the late 19th and early 20th century (Rudyard Kipling, George Griffith, Arthur Conan Doyle, etc). Each setting contains a campaign book and an adventure book both just jam-packed with ideas, scenarios and other stuff for the pillaging.

Anyway. Highly recommended.

Last edited:

Stormborn

Explorer
Non d20 resources

GURPS books are always great resources for Flavor, even if you don't play with those rules. In fact the supplements tend to be more flavor than crunch anyway.
Check out GURPS Steampunk and Steamtech.
Also look into Space:1889

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
Rider Haggard: Group of adventurers go into darkest africa and find a civilisation of half-caste cannibals led by an immortal white woman. She tries to turn them to the dark side but their rampant whiteness denies her. Remember phallic symbols.

Dracula.

Even Heart of Darkness - Group of adventurers goes into darkest africa and finds nutball white man. Adventurers go nuts themselves.

Lots of Penetrating Continents and finding lost civilisations and shooting them.

Cannibals everywhere! especially where there are none.

Or you could go real world style. Penetrate to the heart of Australia, fail to find an inland sea, die of starvation and thirst. Like every australian explorer ever did.

Vice versa, go to the middle of australia and find a civilisation of half-white cannibals. Sounds familiar somehow. Ahh well.

Conan Doyle and his lost world comes to mind.

There's many others. Some ideas and books to read for you :D

Remove ads