• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ideas for Village Murder Investigation

tennyson

First Post
My group is currently in a small village where a series of grisly murders have taken place (as well as few that have yet to occur). I have nearly everything else planned for the session excpet one of the most important parts: THE MURDERS!

Two murders are going to occur, and I was hoping to pick your collective brain. It is a small seaside village, one murder will have 1 victim, and other will have 2:

1. What are some gruesome ways to that these can occur, or how can the PCs find the bodies? The ideal locations will be the shipyard supply shop, the butcher's, the stables, or a graveyard.

2. Can you think of any interesting combats to work in while investigating these? I would like to focus heavily on water-subtype creatures and undead.

Thanks for any help - I rate myself fairly high at story writing, but combat planning is by far my bane! :)

Crothian

First Post
What levels are the characters?

One thing I like is to have an unrelated fight or something serve to discover the first body or scene. IA bar fight that spills out into the street somone gets thrown through a window of an abondoned building or something and lands in a bloody mess.

tennyson

First Post
One thing I like is to have an unrelated fight or something serve to discover the first body or scene. IA bar fight that spills out into the street somone gets thrown through a window of an abondoned building or something and lands in a bloody mess.

Oooooo, that's a good suggestion. There are five level-6 PCs. For a little more background, a mage is causing these murders from behind the scenes (ala Wizard of Oz) and is going to serve as the "final fight".

Up until that point, I'm looking more for battle setups more than anything else (I already have clues I want to drop). The mage favors possession and water elemental magic. I'm using the following map for the village:

Village Murders

I think it's still a free download from Dragon, but there is an adventure called Last Breaths of Ashenport that you may be able to yoink a couple encounters from. Not sure about the level, but I think it is the ballpark.

I've only read through it, but if I remember correctly, a couple missing villagers, victims in your case, reappear as mutated fish-men.

weem

First Post
....Up until that point, I'm looking more for battle setups more than anything else (I already have clues I want to drop)....

Two quick ideas...

1) Maybe while the PC's cross one of the bridges into/out of town, Mud Lasher's [lvl 4 in CB] bring the bridge down (could have been weakening it for some time). The players scramble onto floating chunks of it while then fighting off "Water-Blessed" Sevvik's [lvl 6 in CB].

You could cut out (cardboard perhaps) these bridge chunks. Then, each round each piece could move 1 square rolling a d8 to determine the direction each piece moves (1 = North, 2= North East, 3 = East, etc)

Cardboard is great - here is something I did with it (and some LED candles) for an encounter.

2) You mentioned possession... maybe at one point, a townie approaches them and says he found a body... maybe speaking slowly and staring off as if through them... they assume it's shock from finding the body.

They get there, somewhere outside of town, or a dark alley, and he turns to them saying, "you will never catch me" at which point he stabs himself. As he hits the ground, they are ambushed by [insert creatures of your choosing].

In fact, the ambush could be near the water, where you could use water-based creatures.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
So, you want the PCs to fight certain monsters (water subtype and undead). Are they responsible for the murders?

Because WHO the murderers are really effects the HOW and WHERE of the killings. Also the Why. Motivation has a big effect on how a murderer kills someone (at least, if you watch enough crime shows). If the murderer is just sending monsters to do the job, then the deaths are going to look LIKE the monsters did it, rather than any sort of finesse.

If it's a human (or equivalent) doing the killings, what's his reasoning, and what's his method of killing?

Good ol' Law & Order method!

Last edited:

weem

First Post
So, you want the PCs to fight certain monsters (water subtype and undead). Are they responsible for the murders?

Good question.

I was imagining (could be wrong) that the beasties were not the ones doing the murdering, but rather being sent to dispose of those who are sniffing around looking for answers.

This would become apparent when the PC's notice how meticulously the murders are planned and carried out. Maybe the murders are very surgical, or stealthy, or the plans are just to complex for any beasts.

These seemingly different/unrelated issues (calculated murders vs seemingly random attacks by monsters) will eventually be tied together later when they discover who is behind it all etc.

roguerouge

First Post
Check the site wiki for 3rd edition adventures. I posted a lot of material on characters and plot devices for a back stage mystery that you might be able to yoink.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
To me, it seems that a Water Elemental mage might use water-based assassins, specifically Water Weirds and/or maybe even a Nixie. The bodies are always found in/around water. So... in a well, fountain, pool, lake outside... perhaps even in a bucket?

Perhaps after a time the corpses become water, leaving little to no evidence behind. Maybe Ice is the murder weapon? Once it melts, it's gone.

Jack7

First Post
I worked a case one time in which a boy was murdered, his body then wrapped and weighted, and he was thrown under a bridge. The bridge also happened to be a favorite local swimming spot for teenage kids. One jumped off the bridge, went down under pretty far, and slammed into the body.

The victim had been beaten to death with metal bars and a wooden bat (drug related) and his skull had been caved in. Few things are as gruesome as discovering a bloated body underwater when you are not expecting one. It's not only horrifying, it's just plain shocking because you're not expecting it. You're swimming to have fun and come across a corpse. It leaves a real impression. Even when you're looking to find a body underwater, especially if the water is murky, it's a shock when you run into one.

Also once worked a case in which a body was to be exhumed. When the body was exhumed we found out that another body had been buried atop the one we were looking for. The body above our target was simply planted in the ground. Someone had partially uncovered the real grave and then buried the victim atop the other grave. Because of decomposition that was kinda gruesome and finding the other body was a bit of a shocker. Didn't see it coming. The backhoe tore the other body up before it was realized what was happening.

Being thrown into a narrow but deep pit and then abandoned, I've seen that too. Bad way to go. It's slow and it's got to be a helpless feeling.

Being burned alive, or forcible drowning though. Those two probably at near the top of my list.
Anything in which you know the victim suffered for along time, was particularly violent, or you know the victim near it was coming and was terrified, that's gruesome.

Dismemberment after the fact is always gruesome too, as are various methods used to attempt disposing of a corpse (improper burial, sinking, feeding remains to animals, acid, partial cannibalism, keeping trophies and body-parts, etc.)

Depends on who was doing the killing in what way, who might be secretly looking for the murderer(s) (vigilantes), and other secondary details. The players might "accidentally" run into the murderer or murderers, an accomplice, an informant, or someone looking to exact their own vengeance. Then again they could run into someone who helped cause the murder, but are unaware of their own involvement.

Me, fights along the water at night are spooky, because of the threat of drowning, being drowned by another, or injured and then having to fight my way out of the water. Water fights are exhausting anyways. I'd use a lot of ambushes, night-fights, threats from unknown adversaries, and attacks form people, creatures, and from quarters they are not at all expecting. You might think about having them surveil or follow subjects they are suspicious of into locations where they can get ambushed easily. It's what I would do to them.

The Old Light, Chopper's Isle, Lost Coast Road, a boat fight in the harbor, the swampy area, and that place that looks like a graveyard to the northeast, all good places for ambushes.

Good luck.

Edit: You know they might go out to the graveyard to see if they can find evidence of Undead activity. They dig up a body to see if the body is still in the grave because locals have seen that supposedly dead person walking around the bogs at night. As they dig up their target they find another body atop the other grave (as above). They take that body to be examined and before they can rebury it, it disappears. Later it attacks them at another location.

One thing in a situation like this you might think about and that I used one time. A Doppelganger. The sheriff, or whoever your chief law enforcement guy is happens to be is really a doppelganger. They're feeding off the situation for their own ends. So might be the familiar (if he has one) of the mage.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads