• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Identify A Rock

Treebore

First Post
If you did actually scratch it with that knife I am currently leaning towards Celestine. It is only a 3.5 hardness, so doing those hardness tests, confirming there is actual etching occurring, or not, can totally change the possibilities.

If you can get HCL that will help eliminate the Calcium minerals. Or confirm it.

Also, testing with the glass is the most telling of everything at this point, so make that your highest priority.

Another possibility is Zircon. But anyways, these are all still mostly guesses at this point.

Treebore

First Post
Couple of more ideas.

Do you own a "black light"? If so see if it fluoresces under it.

If it does, and feels "oily", AND if the glass does NOT cut/etch it, ummm... stay away from it. At this point you may have a radioactive zircon. Not super radioactive, because if it is Zircon, it is this color because it is already past its "half life".

Know anyone with a radiation measuring device? Ask them to check for Gamma.

Now the cool thing, if this IS Zircon, you would own among the oldest rocks that make up this planet. Plus the glass clean stuff is used as gem stones.

Still, don't sleep with it, or keep it near you until we can tell more.

Edit: OK, I checked the radiation info, and IF this is Zircon your only supposed to have to worry about radiation when they are the super deep blue colors. So you should be safe IF it ends up being Zircon.

Villano

First Post
Another possible clue you can give me, do you know the conditions of the mine in which it was found? Like was there a good amount of water present? Was the mine described as being in solid rock? That kind of info.

I have no idea about the mine. My grandfather had the rock since before I was born and he passed away in the early 90s.

If you can get your hands on HCL (be very careful with it if you can, serious chemical burns will result!) (aka Hydro Chloric Acid) put a drop or two on flat(ish) areas of the stone and let me know if it bubbles.

No offense, but I don't want to mess around with any acid.

Couple of more ideas.

Do you own a "black light"? If so see if it fluoresces under it.

If it does, and feels "oily", AND if the glass does NOT cut/etch it, ummm... stay away from it. At this point you may have a radioactive zircon. Not super radioactive, because if it is Zircon, it is this color because it is already past its "half life".

Know anyone with a radiation measuring device? Ask them to check for Gamma.

Now the cool thing, if this IS Zircon, you would own among the oldest rocks that make up this planet. Plus the glass clean stuff is used as gem stones.

Still, don't sleep with it, or keep it near you until we can tell more.

No, I don't own a black light or a geiger counter, so I...wait, radioactive? Oh, my God, I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die! :eek:

Edit: OK, I checked the radiation info, and IF this is Zircon your only supposed to have to worry about radiation when they are the super deep blue colors. So you should be safe IF it ends up being Zircon.

Oh, well, never mind then. :blush:

Anyway, I don't have any sharp glass, but I checked with the exacto again. It's cutting into the white, but, like I said, I'm not sure it's scratching the green. I'm including a few more pix, but I'm wondering if the white and green are two different things. It looks like the white is suspended within the green.

Attachments

• green rock 2.JPG
    green rock 2.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 169
  • green rock 3.JPG
    green rock 3.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 178
  • green rock 4.JPG
    green rock 4.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 170
  • green rock 5.JPG
    green rock 5.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 158
  • green rock 6.JPG
    green rock 6.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 173

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What you're seeing within the green could be fracture planes, inclusions of another mineral, or just a less pure version of whatever it is. I'm leaning towards the first 2.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads