Identifying Monsters (a skill?)

caudor

Adventurer
Is there a skill or feat (or anything) in one of the 3.5 reference books or d20 expansion that provides rules for identifying monsters either alive or slain? I've looked over the skills presented in the PHB and found nothing specifically geared toward that.

I'd appreciate any bump in the right direction.

Vurt

First Post
Take another look at the Knowledge skill.

SRD said:
Check: Answering a question within your field of study has a DC of 10 (for really easy questions), 15 (for basic questions), or 20 to 30 (for really tough questions).

In many cases, you can use this skill to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster’s HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster. For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, you recall another piece of useful information.

Specifically, Knowledge (nature) would be used to identify animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, and vermin, Knowledge (arcana) would be used to identify dragons and magical beasts, Knowledge (religion) would help with undead, and Knowledge (dungeoneering) with abberations and oozes.

Hope this helps,
Vurt

caudor

Adventurer
Perfect...thank you!

I figure I had just overlooked it; it was right there in front of me all along.

Thanks again. :)

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Vurt said:
Specifically, Knowledge (nature) would be used to identify animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, and vermin, Knowledge (arcana) would be used to identify dragons and magical beasts, Knowledge (religion) would help with undead, and Knowledge (dungeoneering) with abberations and oozes.
Add Knowledge (the planes) for Outsiders.

PrinceZane

First Post
What if you stumbled upon a creature that was dead (or playing dead)?

You wouldn't do a knowledge check would you? I would think a heal check for that.

So I guess depending on if you were gathering info about something dead or alive, or physically seeing it being "dead" depends which skill to use

Heal check to determine if the creature truly is dead or not. Knowledge check to determine what type of creature it is/was.

And if your DM is generous, maybe a +2 circumstance bonus on the Heal check if you can ID the creature and know its physiology.

Quidam

First Post
Play Dead

PrinceZane said:
What if you stumbled upon a creature that was dead (or playing dead)?

I'd use a Spot check. You don't need ranks in Heal to tell if something's alive or dead, you just need to notice the signs.

moritheil

First Post
Quidam said:
I'd use a Spot check. You don't need ranks in Heal to tell if something's alive or dead, you just need to notice the signs.

Well, if it's breathing, moving around, etc. then obviously Heal isn't needed. If it's unusual, it's got some extraordinary ability to go into suspended animation, or you want to tell how badly it's wounded, that's a heal check.

And heck, can the average person tell precisely how alive an ooze is, if it isn't moving, with just a Spot check?

PrinceZane

First Post
Nod. Depending on the "signs"... I mean, as the ooze example, sometimes "signs" aren't nearly as obvious as a human breathing. Then again, I can see how a spot would be more cautious... if I saw 9/10ths of the things in the MM laying on the side of the road, I'd prolly not offer to bring it home for dinner, maybe a glance and move on.

Remove ads