• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Idiot queston

palleomortis

First Post
I know this should be obviouse, but I have unfortunate ability to make the wrong calls on even the most plain of rules. When a wizard prepares an extra spell for his specialization, does he get a bonus sper per day, or merely a spell that he can trade out for another? Basically, does he get a bonus spell per day, or backup spell?

The passage under queston is in the PGH, page 57, the second paragraph under "School Specialization"

Thanx.

Let me know if I'm answering your question here:

He gets 1 additional spell slot for each level of spells he can cast.

That slot can only be filled with a spell from his school of specialization.

So, a Wizard (Conjurer) 5 gets a bonus 1st, 2nd, and 3rd-level slot, and he must prepare a Conjuration spell in each of them (or leave them blank, I guess).

palleomortis

First Post
Well, same topic :/ What I meant to ask, is if he is getting an extra spell or not. The options I see, are either he gets one bonus spell per day for every level,, a bonust level one, two, and three for a Wizard 5. OR, he just gets the oportunity to swap out a prepared spell per day, for one of the extra spells he prepared. Somewhat like saying, ok, you can prepare this spell, but in order to cast it, you have to sacrifice another spell of equal level.

Sorry if thats a little confusing, I'm not the best for explaining :p

Infiniti2000

First Post
The wizard gets an extra spell. This spell must be in the school of specialization. A wizard 3 gets two spells (one first, one second), wizard 5 gets three spells, etc.

palleomortis said:
Well, same topic :/ What I meant to ask, is if he is getting an extra spell or not. The options I see, are either he gets one bonus spell per day for every level,, a bonust level one, two, and three for a Wizard 5.

That's correct.

A Wizard 5 has a base spell allotment of 4 0-level spells, 3 1st-level spells, 2 2nd-level spells, and 1 3rd-level spell before adjustment for a high Intelligence.

A Wizard (Conjurer) 5 has a base spell allotement of 5 0-level spells, 4 1st-level spells, 3 2nd-level spells, and 2 3rd-level spells before adjustment for a high Intelligence. At least one spell of each level must be a Conjuration spell.

Got it?

Remove ads