D&D General IF D&D were for sale ...

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Of course, but as you say that's pretty much true of everyone, so the statement is unhelpful and may be deeply insulting to some folks.

We can have a discussion about internet discussion dynamics, and what it means to be insulted by basic truths, and/or being insulted by the way truth is presented, but this isn't the thread for that discussion.

What good comes from broadly stating that most gamers "want the woke out of their game"?

I don't know that I agree with "most", personally. I can understand the perception or frustrated feeling that it is most, though.

So, right there - what comes out of it is an understanding of the speaker's impression of the community. Understanding the people around you is a good thing, and you can use that information constructively, if being constructive is your thing.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I like Dropout, and I hadn't considered them. They probably would be a good fit. Aabria and Brennan would be good faces for the brand. They are already generally well liked by the newer generation of D&D players.
We'd certainly see a wild explosion of new settings, probably with slim books to support them. (Fantasy High doesn't need a 300-page book to spell out the setting.) I think presenting gamers with a book that says "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover explaining how to use contemporary New York City as a setting would be greatly expand the possibilities of the game for many groups.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
What are you implying? Please just state your case.

I am implying that his own post may contain the seeds of the answer to his question.

The behavior he's noticing is one among many that form the heap that we eventually look at and say, "People suck". Which is not to say that the one person he was talking to sucks, personally. But that the behavior ain't great, and becomes part of the aggregate that leads to the perception.

Zardnaar

Legend
I still don't see your point though. Are you supporting the idea that a "big fish" in the industry is a good thing, or just stating the obvious?

I don't mean to be insulting, I just don't know what you're getting at.

Big fish isn't good or bad for anyone else. WotC made the pond a lot bigger so they didn't take anyone else's food.

5E isn't the ultimate be all edition for me but neither are the others. Personally I would use it to go in a different direction if it was all about me.

KYRON45

Explorer
I mean, that's the premise of this thread.
The premise is to discuss what company might be a better fit for the brand. The premise; as i understood it was not to then argue about all the things wrong with all the other things. If I misunderstood the nature of the conversation (or is it argument?) then i apologize.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
We'd certainly see a wild explosion of new settings, probably with slim books to support them. (Fantasy High doesn't need a 300-page book to spell out the setting.) I think presenting gamers with a book that says "Dungeons & Dragons" on the cover explaining how to use contemporary New York City as a setting would be greatly expand the possibilities of the game for many groups.
I think a 200-300 page book with many of the worlds used in Dimension20, with a chunky chapter on worldbuilding and on using custom mechanics in addition to the standard rules to steer D&D toward A certain type of game would be a hit.

Idk how well the slim 1-setting books would do as a product line, but who knows.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I am implying that his own post may contain the seeds of the answer to his question.

The behavior he's noticing is one among many that form the heap that we eventually look at and say, "People suck". Which is not to say that the one person he was talking to sucks, personally. But that the behavior ain't great, and becomes part of the aggregate that leads to the perception.
Thats a fair point. Not one that communicates well with one word in text, but certainly fair. I don’t understand social pessimism on basically any level except the very remote “I understand that this is a thing other people experience”, but yeah it be like that. I can recognize that some people’s brains filter for negative patterns rather than positive patterns and basic unconscious biases cause them to then view that perspective as neutral and “realistic” rather than just as bias based as any other perspective.

But like…why bring that into a fun discussion about who you’d enjoy seeing in control of D&D? Why willfully make fun things that one is not personally interested in less fun for other people?

Remove ads