• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General IF D&D were for sale ...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Lets face it, the best outcome would be for Disney to buy it. šŸ˜‰

Really make D&D a household name, a Fantasia themed basic set under every childā€™s Tree by Christmas
A new movie every two years, not to mention 7 TV series on Disney+
Is that what we want? What's the goal here? The increased popularity of D&D since the explosion of 5e has led to change that is not universally acclaimed as positive in all cases.

KYRON45

Explorer
Therein lies the problem. Put 10 gamers in a room and ask them what "not messing it up" looks like and you'll get a rotating assortment of answers most of which will come back to 4e was terrible, get your woke out of my game, that's too expensive and hawaiian pizza is an abomination.

A gamer isn't going to have a spare 2 billion on hand to buy a passion project; a hedge fund manager might.

If DnD was for sale, I would have to say they need to sell it to someone who loves it just as much as their own kids. Someone that wants to make a little bit of profit, enough to perpetuate itself, pay people right, upkeep costs for things and whatnot. I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about businesses in terms of selling IP and whatever, but I know that I would like to see it in the hands of someone who understood the game a great deal.

I would like to see it in the hands of someone who knew all about the world outside of the Sword Coast, someone that wanted to have people explore other parts of the world and meet other cultures, not just add random races for no reason and no origin point. Someone who would look back at other editions and pull from them, working them into later editions and not just shove them in because it was cool. Warlock for example, Warlock use to just be a level name for an MU back in the day, not a whole class if I remember correctly. they separated that and it feels like they had three different people working on it in separate rooms that never got to see each other's work. It's rough. I know they added something for OneDnD but...it doesn't feel cohesive from what I read. I want someone that is going to find something in another edition and actually put the effort into making it work seamlessly and not just shoved in because it looks cool. I would like to see this in the hands of someone who will possibly add a few more magic items, I mean it's not like they don't have access to things like Encyclopedia Magica or any of those other books. In the end, if it were for sale, I would like to see it in the hands of someone that had a passion for it, someone who would treat this thing like their own children and put some heart and soul into it; instead of just...whatever Hasbro is doing with it now.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
A gamer who wants to make games for gamers.

And they wonā€™t end up naughty word it up and/or selling it to a large corporation.
They'll sell it fast

That's why I said nobody.

1706888553527.png

Thomas Shey

Legend
Is that what we want? What's the goal here? The increased popularity of D&D since the explosion of 5e has led to change that is not universally acclaimed as positive in all cases.

Is "universally acclaimed" actually possible here? I'd argue no. That's not even possible with smaller system fandoms, let alone one this big.

Disney? Maybe in the previous years, but not now. Wasn't the movie "Onward" a true wink to D&D?

The adventage by Hasbro is better links for possible partnership, or licencing for different merchandising products.

Hasbro could lincence to other company, in the same way those Hasbro's franchises by Renegade Studio. This could be the right way to safe the TTRPG was in good hands.

Who could buy it? A bigger company, maybe linked to videogames or cinematographic productions. I would bet for Microsoft, but this also has got some economic troubles now.

Who wanted to buy it should await until after the storm, because now it is too risky.

Remove ads