• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If I bought WoTC I would......[your answer here]

Prince Atom

Explorer
If I were in charge of the world....

I'd definitely drop all the other departments and focus solely on RPG development. I'd try to come up with some other big system besides the d20 system, so we're not beating a dead horse in two years' time.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Thomas Jefferson once called for a revolution once every 20 years. I think innovation once every 20 months or so would be very good for the RPG culture.

I'm sorry, but the whole deal with the d20 system and the OGL &c. smacks of monopoly to me. Does WotC get a cut when you use the d20 system?

TWK

Florin

First Post
No, WotC doesn't get a cut when the d20 logo is used, they just get the line "Requires the use of the Player's Handbook from Wizards of the Coast." (or something very similar) in every product that uses the d20 logo. Which is why I went the my scheme above. :)

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
1. I'd publish a D&D basic set, a boxed set that is fully contained with dice and a DM screen. This would be the core of the D20 system without the massive feat system, it would support 20 levels but no epic level stuff. The classes would be fixed to accomadate the lack of feats and the Assassin would be a core class w/o magic spells. This set would include a booklet on the World of Greyhawk that would give details and a general setting description.

2. Hire Gary Gygax to run the D&D division and to DM a game for me.

3. Bring Erol Otus out of retirement and have him do illustrations for the new basic line, along with other more "detailed" artists. Elmore would do the cover.

4. Redo some of the classic modules of the previous editions in the new format.

5. lose money hand over foot...most likely. ;)

Paul_Klein

Explorer
I would accumulate a ton of fan ideas for "fixing" 3E (while not completely ripping it to its framework), and put out a Revised Player's Handbook, significantly increasing its size (close to 400 pages).

Then, I would redo the class books, fix them, balance them, add and subtract, and combine them into a full color hardcover Hero's Handbook.

Then, when we had a bunch of idea's for a new product, we would put each one in a poll, and have the fans vote for which one they wanna see next. After that one, we'd continue down the line.

I'd also hire more people in the appropriate departments, so it doesn't take a book a year from the time its finished writing to the time it comes out. Books could be released quicker without sacrificing quality.

I'd also retool the Star Wars line, but that's for a different forum.

Zappo

Explorer
The Whiner Knight said:
I'm sorry, but the whole deal with the d20 system and the OGL &c. smacks of monopoly to me. Does WotC get a cut when you use the d20 system?
They don't get a cut, and it's not monopoly. Quite the opposite, in fact.

RobNJ

Explorer
1) I would never read another D&D role playing forum on the internet, unless it was to find out what internet people were whining about and specifically exacerbate the situation.

2) I would, if I could afford to, hire back the greats who have been let go or who have left (assuming they were interested in returning).

3) I would start a mature content sub-line.

4) I would do what one of the Greats of the Genre suggested on a board somewhere (I don't remember who it was, but it may have been Ryan Dacey (sp?)). To whit, I would create a fourth core book (bumping Psionics down to Core V) called The Designer's Handbook. It would go into the inner workings of how design decisions were made and make suggestions about how to tinker with them, such as discussing the implications of changing core classes, XP award systems, magic systems, etc.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The Whiner Knight said:

Uh, no, they don't, as others have said. The whole "d20 conspiracy" theory has been beaten to death quite a while ago. You should research it a bit more.

RogerBacon

First Post
I would make sure I got 4 copies of every Magic card they ever made.

I would replace the spells/day tables with a spell point system similar to the Psion one.

I would replace the critical system with one like Rolemaster's. ( or at least make it an optional system).

Roger Bacon

NeghVar

First Post
Start planning for the BoVD volumes 2-24...

Just kidding!!!

I would have someone complete the SRD releases (including MotP, D&DG, and the splatbooks).

Later!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads