• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If I buy the complete Essentials line...

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
... how much am I missing from the PHB 1, DMG 1 and MM 1, or can I play 4e fine without them?

(Sorry if this topic has come up, but I havn't been paying 4e discussions much attention until now...)

Truename

First Post
... how much am I missing from the PHB 1, DMG 1 and MM 1, or can I play 4e fine without them?

(Sorry if this topic has come up, but I havn't been paying 4e discussions much attention until now...)

You can play 4e fine without them. Essentials works as a stand-alone product.

However, Essentials is also an addition to 4e, not a replacement for it, so you can buy Essentials and also buy the earlier books without too much overlap. (That said, Monster Vault is way better than MM1--don't buy MM1 or MM2.)

Bottom line: WotC has learned a lot about 4e design since it was first released. The Essentials books are more polished and generally better designed than the original three 4e books, with the possible exception of the DMG and a few of the PHB1 classes.

Cyronax

Explorer
There is no real big resource for magic items in the Essentials line yet. The HotFK and HotFL only have the barest smattering of items. We have to wait for Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium/Mansion for that.

Also, I found the degree of overlap between the Rules Compendium and the DM's Kit book to be overly much. They overlap so much that I regret buying the DM's Kit.

C.I.D.

You can play 4e fine without them. Essentials works as a stand-alone product.

However, Essentials is also an addition to 4e, not a replacement for it, so you can buy Essentials and also buy the earlier books without too much overlap. (That said, Monster Vault is way better than MM1--don't buy MM1 or MM2.)

Bottom line: WotC has learned a lot about 4e design since it was first released. The Essentials books are more polished and generally better designed than the original three 4e books, with the possible exception of the DMG and a few of the PHB1 classes.
MM2 is not that bad actually...

Obergnom

First Post
I'm currently DMing an Essentials only campaign... for the player side of things, everything is fine, as a DM I would maybe add in MM3 and a selection of Magic Items for the uncommon and rare treasures that come up, if you roll for treasure.

The best way to get the items might be the online compendium, until the new item book arives. A DDi subscription has the added benefit of getting the articles for Starpact Hexblades, Earth Domain Clerics, Pyromancers, Staff Fighters and Paladins with mounts.

Obergnom

First Post
I'd better mention right now that I have no interest in buying into DDI
Fiar enough. I guess I would go with one of the AVs and MM3 or just improvise until there is more material.

There are more than enough Monsters if you start at level 1 and the next Monster Set will be released in Q2.

If you start a campaign right now you might need a total of maybe 15 uncommon and rare items until Mordenkainen Emporium is out. No real need to buy more books.

Remove ads