• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If IKEA Made a Dedicated Gaming Table, Would You Buy It?

If IKEA Made a Gaming Table, Would You Buy It?

• Yes

Votes: 124 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 69 19.4%
  • Maybe

Votes: 163 45.8%

jujutsunerd

Explorer
Funny you should mention it, but I bought a game table from IKEA just a few weeks ago!

It's a Norden table

Hmm. I guess that *is* their Official Gaming Table. Why do I say that? Well...

1) One common way of transcribing swedish words that include letters with diacritics (such as å, ä and ö) is to simply leave out the diacritics (e.g. a, a and o.)

2) The swedish word for nerd is "nörd"

3) When used as a singular noun (e.g. "the nerd") it becomes "nörden"

So, Norden is actually supposed to be spelled "Nörden". :)

/Jonas (who is a Swede, and knows very well that Norden is actually spelled Norden, and intended to refer to the Nordic countries (as it's the swedish term for that.) But, hey, let's not destroy a neat theory by bringing mere *facts* into it. :)

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
Just some pie in the skying here,

If you could buy a prefab gaming table would you? What would you want it to do? How big would you want it? Please add your comments.

Let's see. My dream table:

The table is fairly large, call it 48" x 30" (or a tiny bit bigger). It's the height of a typical dining room table. The edges of the table are raised, probably a half-inch to an inch, to reduce the likelihood of dice rolling off the side of the table.

It has a waterproof, scratch-resistant, transparent, dry-eraseable surface. Underneath that, there are four slots for 24" x 15" map inserts. The table comes with four white cardboard inserts, having a square grid on one side and a hex grid on the other; you can just leave them in and draw on the transparent tabletop. However, you can also buy separate dry-eraseable vinyl inserts and use them like Tact-Tiles.

Below the map slots, there are player stations, each with a slide-out tray for character sheets and books, a drawer for dice and minis, and maybe a drink holder. There is also a DM station at one end, similar to the player stations but with more space, and the tray has raised edges like the tabletop - so the DM can roll dice without letting the players see the results.

(And now I find myself wanting to build this thing...)

the Jester

Legend
It'd have to be pretty cheap, and provide a lot of utility. Not a combination I see as all that likely, but if they managed it, I'd certainly consider it.

This. If it was $5 for an awesome utilitarian game table, of course I'd buy it. If it was $200 for a dinky card table marketed for gaming, of course I wouldn't.

zenram

First Post
Wow, thats a great idea, now, i can give many ideas as i use my computer and a proyector, so it's kinda different. XD

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Wow, there's some necromancy around here.

Today, i would possibly buy, but depending on several factors, not the least of which is SIZE. I have a 10 players group, and the major problem of the moment is sitting them all comfortably around the table.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
If it looked like the Emissary:

stacks_image_499_1.png
stacks_image_502_1.png
egamesurfacedrawersopen.jpg

And it cost less than $500, then yes.

Here are some other pictures of it.

img1973i.jpg
img1975c.jpg
img1977q.jpg
img1982hi.jpg
img1980k.jpg
img1983.jpg
img1984xp.jpg
img1986o.jpg
img1989h.jpg

Last edited:

patrickgamer

First Post
The results from this poll are pretty close to what I imagined they'd be. I wonder what the no factor would be if the 'Ikea' condition was removed from the scenario.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
What? Most of the guys here would buy such thing? Wow... I like the fact that I can put everything remotely related to roleplaying in the drawers and closets when I'm not playing. My apartment is for my family and friends, not for gaming. Roleplaying is my hobby, not my furniture.

I'm lucky enough to be always able to play somewhere else but in my house. I don't like mixing things at all.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads