• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If money were no object

pawsplay

Hero
For $10k, I'd buy a copy of BESM Third Edition, and fund my publishing projects.

At $100k, I don't imagine I'd be thinking about gaming. Certainly, I don't think running an RPG company full-time would fulfill my needs. Maybe use it to fund a part-time RPG publishing business indefinitely?

At $1 million, I'd try to cure cholera or something. Stuff gaming.

GandalfMithrandir

First Post
10k: I would get a laptop with a projection system, a really nice round table, set aside about a thousand for various books and shelves to hold them in.

100k: as 10k but a nicer table, the room would be round as well, the laptop could hook up into overhead speakers to play music, mostly metallica. I would also set aside money for cons and stuff

1M: 100k + a lamborghini to get to cons in, and also a smallish house with a few gaming rooms, and a well-stocked fridge and a few computers.

Longtooth Studios

First Post
Is this a question posed to decide how to spend the fortune you just secured winning the lottery, or after wacky uncle Ned left you everything. If so, the first thing you do is hire me as your gamer consultant. I don't come cheap, but I am thorough...

Time is my most precious commodity right now. No matter how much money I spent on gaming, I would require the time to take advantage of it. SO until we hit the 1,000,000 mark, we will have to ignore that fact, and go blow a wad of cash on making the most of it.

10k: buy a used Econoline Van and convert it into a mobile study / gear storage. No matter where I go to game, ALL my stuff is at hand. It would include a place to nap, a fridge, cabineted book storage, nice sound system, and a disco ball.

This would also make my wife happy as she would be rid of all my gaming gear.

100k: same as as 10k but a mid sized RV. This version would be fully networked, have a hefty computer, large screen TV, a custom gaming table, and well stocked full sized fridge. It is here I would spend all of my time, my wife would be widowed.

1M: With this I could really buy some time. Bills paid, invested properly, I could stretch this out enough to retire. Now I can achieve a proper balance in my life and game as my day job! All of my friends would still only be able to come out nights, so I would still have to tear myself away from my family a couple of nights a week, but she knew that when she married me. ;)

Mikaze

First Post
Beyond the boring but reasonable taking-care-of-responsibilities-and-security:

Complete that library of 1e/2e material, along with all the third party 3E/PF stuff that has caught my eye but remained out of reach. Do the same for other systems that I dig.

Commission art for ALL of my player's PCs and important NPCs(instead of just for one campaign).

Commission art for products I've always wanted to make.

Use new security and free time to finish those products.

PDF of POD publish those products.

Rage at the critics for not recognizing my genius.

In all seriousness though, I'd probably just wind up dying trying to dive into coinage like Scrooge McDuck. Like you wouldn't try it.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Is this a question posed to decide how to spend the fortune you just secured winning the lottery, or after wacky uncle Ned left you everything.

This. I could spend/allocate 25 million in about a week and a half, before even getting to my gaming needs.

That being said, if I HAD to spend untold riches on my gaming hobby I would begin with the unfinished spaces in my current home. The room which was to be a home office is currently being used as a bedroom for my two youngest kids. So, I would finish off the space over my garage into 2 rooms with a connecting closet, a bathroom, and a bonus room (there goes $50,000+). This would make my wife happy, and thus clear the way for working on the unfinished space in the basement.

In that space, currently occupied by unused furniture, old junk, and my aquariums (i.e. my "man cave"), I would simply finish the walls, floor, and ceiling, add HVAC and a bathroom, and do a bit of landscaping outside (there goes another $50,000). As I currently DM online, I would add things needed to fuel my inspiration for my undersea game. So, I would add more aquariums, a few touch tanks, and a new enclosed saltwater swimming pool (complete with coral, fish, sharks, and mermaids ). I would add streaming webcams to every tank and devote one tank to scale models of ruins, reefs, etc for minis.

Festivus

First Post
$10k: Probably purchase a nice gaming table and chairs
$100k: Refinish a room in my house to be a game room, complete with non-RPG stuff like billiards, theater and pinball machines
$1M: Build a custom game room as an addition to the house

knightofround

First Post
With that kind of scenario, I would buy time. Work less, prep/play D&D more. Technology gizmos are great, but at its core, D&D has always worked fine without. I've always had players who were way into minis and purchasing supplements so that hasn't been too big of an issue for me.

Although admittedly, it is far more likely that I would end up devoting that time to becoming pro at starcraft 2 :p

Alcamtar

Explorer
If money were truly no object, I'd buy D&D from WOTC/Hasbro. Then I'd get busy on D&D 5E!

I really don't have time or space for more gaming, so money would probably go to a bigger house or something that would result in my having to work less. But to be honest if I had a nice big house, I might spend more time model railroading and less gaming. Who can say.

If I could afford it (and by that I mean afford not to make any significant income) I'd start my own gaming company, and start writing. No real interest in opening a shop, but it would be fun to publish. Maybe try to acquire the rights to a smaller game line. Or I could start a gaming software company.

If I just had some money to buy stuff... hmm... not really too much I want. I'd probably collect everything for Savage Worlds, Hero 6E, Fudge... and I'd try to collect a complete set of OD&D/D&D/AD&D1. Oh, and I'd finally assemble my army of 10,000 minis. And buy some dwarven forge to play with them properly.

Remove ads