• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

If most DMs prefer low-mid levels...why have levels?

Agent Oracle

First Post
Tenbones said:
you don't even understand the context of anything you're posting, or reading for that matter ... most people are past the RPG-God posturing ... Your game you should be playing is Clue. .... unless you're a social moron which I think might be in question .... And in your denial - you'll posture on ... Agent Numbskull

I'm not attacking you! If anything, you're attacking me. You've done nothing but insult, insult insult. I keep trying to be rational and

and...

Oh you know what? You're not worth it.

I'm letting myself get baited, and arguing on the Internet is pointless anyway.

So, take your win. Make your e-penis feel bigger.

And try not to namecall in the future. :\

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Tenbones - Everyone here on ENworld is entitled to their opinion. Please disagree as much as you like, but please respect others while doing so.

Back on topic, all, if you please.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just thought of another good reason to have levels in the game: they give level-draining opponents something to do. :)

Lane-"22-year career and I just got my 10th level last week"-fan

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Lanefan: I refuse to use the level-drain mechanic. I find it a completely awful thing to do to a PC. I'm also not a big fan of stat-drain and the stat-draining poisons... bring back the days of 5/20 damage or 20/death! :)

jeffh

Adventurer
Hussar said:
You see nothing wrong with deceiving your players? Or being deceived as a player? You are far more forgiving than I. As a player, I do try to have at least a few ideas of things I would like my character to do, such as my priest who wanted to start his own cult and therefore needed the leadership feat. If the campaign never reaches 6th level, then I can never do that. All I can do is plan for it and dream about it.

While that may be fun for a while, at some point I would actually like to attain my dreams. What's the point of playing a fantasy game if I can't make my fantasies come true?

The limitations on the levels is most certainly not built into the game itself. That's simply not true. There is a huge amount of support for higher level games whether from WOTC or the d20 crowd. There are more than a few threads floating around here on how to handle higher level play as well that are chock full of good advice. Never mind that you've now got three adventure paths that are going to lead into the high double digit levels, as well as any number of modules being offered in other venues as well.

The days of there only being two or maybe three modules for 10-14th level play are long behind us. The rules are there to be used and, believe it or not, do actually work without half the group being left in the dust.
I don't recognize the position you're attacking, particularly in the third paragraph. It certainly isn't mine, in fact it seems to me it's the opposite of what I said.

Dracorat

First Post
Personally, I think this is proof of a larger problem that needs solved.

There needs to be more epic level gaming.

I think that logically, the market targets the ability to start a new group and "go with it" in terms of their product, starting at the low level because anyone can start there.

Epic level stuff would require people to be there, which many DMs don't deal with.

But I think if more were to show up, the thirst would be whetted.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
I'm liking the new leveling speed from the player end of things.

We're in one of the adventure paths, AoW, 1-20th. People were in a mood for some D&D.

But we're also the kind of group where everybody there wants to GM, and wants to GM something different ... every day. Right now I, myself, am near to pulling a gun and forcing everybody to play Dark*Matter d20.

So we're going to get the full "campaign" experience in about a year ... which is seriously about as much as I think everybody will commit to playing one game.

Before I pull a gun.

--fje

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Herobizkit said:
Lanefan: I refuse to use the level-drain mechanic. I find it a completely awful thing to do to a PC.
Last I checked, doing awful things to PC's was pretty high up the DM's task list... :]

Lanefan

Remove ads