Pathfinder 1E IF Paizo was planning a Pathfinder 2.0 what signs would we see?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
More seriously, I think it's going to be exceptionally hard to tell if Paizo has a plan for a new edition/revision for now.

It will be easy to know, Paizo will tell us that's what they intend to do, and they'd announce a public playtest. Paizo isn't secretive about such things. If they don't announce it, then it won't happen, at least not any time soon.

It will be easy to know, Paizo will tell us that's what they intend to do, and they'd announce a public playtest. Paizo isn't secretive about such things. If they don't announce it, then it won't happen, at least not any time soon.
Paizo is almost certainly waiting to see what the market will be like post-5E before they even decide on their strategy going forward, but until they decide I don't expect to see any change-of-direction from them. That said, I think it's extremely naive to suggest that Paizo would never keep its plans secret; Paizo is just a company, and every company will withhold the details of their strategy when it's not advantageous to reveal it.

Starfox

Hero
They might also co-opt popular 5E options, like they did with some 4E options. If people find some particular thing in 5E enjoyable, it might well appear in Pathfinder soon.

Imitation is the most sincere form of admiration.

sunshadow21

Explorer
I am sure that eventually we will see a product that is branded Pathfinder 2.0 or something similar. It won't likely be anything new, however, as much as it is far more likely to be a product that looks at all the new material released for Pathfinder, works the best of it into the core rules, and a new book is released with the new revised core as the new default. Eventually, they will release enough options and smaller errata that the original default assumptions no longer work well. That is when we are likely to see a "new" edition of Pathfinder, which likely won't actually be all that new, but rather a compilation of what people have been using for some time into a single book for easy access and a clear understanding of the new default going forward.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Paizo is almost certainly waiting to see what the market will be like post-5E before they even decide on their strategy going forward, but until they decide I don't expect to see any change-of-direction from them. That said, I think it's extremely naive to suggest that Paizo would never keep its plans secret; Paizo is just a company, and every company will withhold the details of their strategy when it's not advantageous to reveal it.

Unlike many companies including RPG publishers, Paizo is very tranparent. Now I didn't suggest that they reveal every possibility at just the idea stage, all concepts and directions are developed in house and kept in house until they are ready for feedback. However, once a decision has been made to move forward on any project or direction, the developers at Paizo blog to the public about it and playtests are announced. Paizo keeps sales information secret, like most companies, but of their products, Paizo is one of the most transparent companies in the industry, something they are very proud of - so it isn't productive to their goals to keep secrets.

Remove ads